Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The extra cost of the castaway challenge wont be that 80 dollar fee, but the extra cruise after the run weekend. A few thousands dollars ;-)

If it's going to be just you in the stateroom, get an inside one. Smaller, no split bathroom (sink/toilet in one, shower/sink in other), and magic porthole.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Cheapest option for 2019 is near 2000 dollar ;-)

It's a guaranteed stateroom on the Disney Dream sailing on the 14th. That means Disney selects the stateroom for you, both deck and side of ship. And you have to pay full fare at booking....with no refunds.

wdwjmp239

Just a general question - but how many people were going to run the 2019 WDW Half Marathon, but decided against it because of the cost? Also, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge/information as to why the Half Marathon is as much as the Full Marathon? Has it always been that way? Or, did I just come to my senses and realize that shelling out $200 to run long distances just doesn't make financial sense anymore? Thanks! :)

Rteetz

Just a general question - but how many people were going to run the 2019 WDW Half Marathon, but decided against it because of the cost? Also, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge/information as to why the Half Marathon is as much as the Full Marathon? Has it always been that way? Or, did I just come to my senses and realize that shelling out $200 to run long distances just doesn't make financial sense anymore? Thanks! :)
It has always been that way as long as I have been doing these races.

RunningKoen

Or, did I just come to my senses and realize that shelling out $200 to run long distances just doesn't make financial sense anymore? Thanks! :)

O boy, I hope you weren't having plans to run the Berlin or New York marathon. Because I'm having bad news ...

I know Disney isn't the most famous or prestigious place to run. But paying a lot for such a race isn't a monopoly of runDisney.
Running through Disney property however is something where runDisney has a monopoly: they can charge whatever they want. Who can compete and offer it cheaper?

wdwjmp239

It has always been that way as long as I have been doing these races.

Ok, then I just came to my senses then. ;)

I do love how Disney puts together the weekend, but I'll just go up and enjoy the weekend with my wife since we already booked the room and we live about 3 hours away. Besides, I registered for the Naples Daily News Half Marathon (Naples, FL) the weekend after Disney and will just run that one for time to MAYBE submit for the 2020 Disney Marathon. Happy running! :D

wdwjmp239

O boy, I hope you weren't having plans to run the Berlin or New York marathon. Because I'm having bad news ...

Nope. I'm not planning to run either.

I know Disney isn't the most famous or prestigious place to run. But paying a lot for such a race isn't a monopoly of runDisney. Running through Disney property however is something where runDisney has a monopoly: they can charge whatever they want. Who can compete and offer it cheaper?

Well, I understand the leg work that's involved in setting up for the weekend, but I guess it just struck me as interesting as to why the half and the full were the same price.

RunningKoen

Well, I understand the leg work that's involved in setting up for the weekend, but I guess it just struck me as interesting as to why the half and the full were the same price.

Well, doubling the price of the full would be kinda heavy, but people are willing to pay the same price for the half during other weekends, where the half is the longest distance. So why not have them both around 200 dollar and earn more? :)

wdwjmp239

Well, doubling the price of the full would be kinda heavy, but people are willing to pay the same price for the half during other weekends, where the half is the longest distance. So why not have them both around 200 dollar and earn more? :)

It's a business move. I get it. I just thought it was cheaper and I STILL came to my senses and not running the half. ;)

FerretAfros

Disney has a dirty little secret: the Marathon is the flagship race of their flagship weekend, but it's one of their least popular races and is often one of the slowest to sell out (along with Goofy).

Keeping the pricing in check with the Half helps make the race seem more attractive to potential runners. It's also in line with other top-tier races throughout the country; even though the price is the same as the Half, it's still one of the most expensive races out there, and there's only so much the market can bear
Disneyland Paris has a half for 77 euro. Around 80-85 dollar
Park tickets and (off-property) hotels are also considerably cheaper at DLP. Last fall I did a short weekend trip for the DLP races from the US for about the same price as a short weekend race trip to DLR or WDW. It felt so extravagant going to Europe for just a couple days, but financially it's about the same as going to the US parks so it's easy to justify

RunningKoen

Disney has a dirty little secret: the Marathon is the flagship race of their flagship weekend, but it's one of their least popular races and is often one of the slowest to sell out (along with Goofy).

Despite it being their flagship and longest running race, the current average runDisney runner is, in general, not the type to run a marathon and they are not interested in it.

People want te experience, the photos, the medal and the general vibe, but they also don't wanna run more than 5K.

5K and 10K races are the most popular ones. Because, with all due respect, some people who 'run' runDisney are too lazy to do a half or full. The low level entry of the races make running inviting to people who cannot even run. And it's great that runDisney enables so many people to start with running and racing. But on shorter distances. 21.1 or even 42 KM is just way too intense for those.

I've had a quite intense discussion on a Dutch facebook group where a (slightly) disabled woman assumes it is perfectly normal to 'run' a 5K in 2:16 because she stopped for every picture. Even though she couldnt make the speed limit without any stops (some parts of the race, she was pushed in a weelchair by a nurse who had to stay with her throughout the entire race for medical reasons).

She was thinking of doing the 10K, because the 5K was sold out. Cases like this makes it obviously that a part of the runDisney participants don't care at all about the running or race aspect of runDisney and they just think it's a great way to get unique pictures. And they are willing to pay (a lot).

Texas84

By what metric? The three top races by sheer numbers are Princess half, Marathon weekend half, and Marathon. Not necessarily in that order, they are all close. WDW Star Wars was up there first year but it has dropped significantly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom