Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

RunningKoen

I kinda thought you were running Dopey this year?

I did last year and loved it. But I’m not doing it this year tho I regret it. But I can’t miss that much school. I’ll be Dopey again...hopefully next year :)

Only the full :) Haven't run a full since january 2017 and I need to redeem that time before I can do a dopey. Besides, I'll use princess 2019 to experience three early races in a row. Disneyland Paris has the 5K in the evening and the two morning races start at 7 AM, so I'm very afraid of sleep deprivation during a Dopey.

RunningKoen

I love my sleep. Waking up at 7AM for work is a daily struggle. I'm not sure I can coop with 4 days of little to no sleep without mental breakdowns ;p

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sleep is over rated. Nothing wrong with 4 pre 4 AM wake ups in a row, just don't plan to see fireworks and evening and it's no big deal. ; ) Of course, the fact I drag my body out of bed at 4 M-F probably helps a bit.

Just down some C4...you won't sleep for days and your ears will itch. 😁

surfsupdon

Only the full :) Haven't run a full since january 2017 and I need to redeem that time before I can do a dopey. Besides, I'll use princess 2019 to experience three early races in a row. Disneyland Paris has the 5K in the evening and the two morning races start at 7 AM, so I'm very afraid of sleep deprivation during a Dopey.
You worried about sleep, I worried about cold temps—and boy did they deliver in 2018. Freezing!!!! Ice at the start. But I did it.

If you run Dopey, in order to find success you must plan ‘a different type of vacation.’ You are not a theme park commando. You gotta get to bed. And rest.

I also arrive at the races pretty last minute. If they say board a bus by 330 I Board at 4. No problems. Corral A.

Additionally, be smart about it. Lay your race clothes out early (which was so important for 2018s freezing temps and consequent layers of clothes), and have your breakfast out too. I ordered from Gardengrocers.com....huge help! Everything was ready in the morning, I was excited and ready to compete.

Bc I knew I couldn’t be theme park commando, I picked a resort that was ‘a struggle’ to get to the parks—OKW. If I were at my favorite Crescent Lake Resorts, I’d walk into parks bc of the convenience of being so close. At OKW I was far. I rested on busses and sometimes chose to stay in and relax than waste time waiting for the bus and travelling. I still visited all my favorite rides, but not excessively.

Dopey was a thrill, a true challenge, and something I will never forget. I am looking forward to my next Dopey!!! It was fun, scary, painful, joyous, excessive, ridiculous, incredible, satisfying, rewarding, intense, and amazing.

You can do it.

Katherine

You worried about sleep, I worried about cold temps—and boy did they deliver in 2018. Freezing!!!! Ice at the start. But I did it.

If you run Dopey, in order to find success you must plan ‘a different type of vacation.’ You are not a theme park commando. You gotta get to bed. And rest.

I also arrive at the races pretty last minute. If they say board a bus by 330 I Board at 4. No problems. Corral A.

Additionally, be smart about it. Lay your race clothes out early (which was so important for 2018s freezing temps and consequent layers of clothes), and have your breakfast out too. I ordered from Gardengrocers.com....huge help! Everything was ready in the morning, I was excited and ready to compete.

Bc I knew I couldn’t be theme park commando, I picked a resort that was ‘a struggle’ to get to the parks—OKW. If I were at my favorite Crescent Lake Resorts, I’d walk into parks bc of the convenience of being so close. At OKW I was far. I rested on busses and sometimes chose to stay in and relax than waste time waiting for the bus and travelling. I still visited all my favorite rides, but not excessively.

Dopey was a thrill, a true challenge, and something I will never forget. I am looking forward to my next Dopey!!! It was fun, scary, painful, joyous, excessive, ridiculous, incredible, satisfying, rewarding, intense, and amazing.

You can do it.

Adding to this:

Naps are your friend - most people say don't sleep after a race but you will need it for Dopey. I'm not a napper but can easily pass out after each race since I'm not sleeping much at night due to the wake ups and the race anxiety. I'm a much happier Dopey runner with naps and you will be too!

Prime pantry works well for ordering snacks and food too. I've ordered staples and stomach safe snacks the past 2 years and it's been awesome to make sure I'm getting the fuel I need and not spending a fortune at Disney. Totally worth the $5 package they charge for handling the package.

RunningKoen

Thanks for all the tips! Much appreciated. I know I can do a Dopey, and probably I will (aiming for 2020, the year for a possible Perfect Paris status), but not in 2019.

Right now, it's just focussing on getting a normal 'prep' cycle for a marathon, since I still have never done that. After failing to train for the 2017 marathon, I havent once run more than 21KM or even tried to train for one.
A full under the 4 hours is my goal. If I'm able to run that and enjoy it, I can consider doing more marathons and use runDisney for new challenges (such as Dopey).

And just like the first time I tried, the only place I would wanna run a marathon as a trial, is WDW. After having my first marathon there, I completely understand why a lot of people pick runDisney for their first (long distance) race experience

LAKid53

Premium Member
Adding to this:

Naps are your friend - most people say don't sleep after a race but you will need it for Dopey. I'm not a napper but can easily pass out after each race since I'm not sleeping much at night due to the wake ups and the race anxiety. I'm a much happier Dopey runner with naps and you will be too!

Prime pantry works well for ordering snacks and food too. I've ordered staples and stomach safe snacks the past 2 years and it's been awesome to make sure I'm getting the fuel I need and not spending a fortune at Disney. Totally worth the $5 package they charge for handling the package.

Agree with the naps.

After recovery - soak feet/legs, clean up, and eat - I take a nap, anywhere between 60 and 90 minutes, before heading out to a park for some walking and a few rides. When I return to my resort, I might go sit in the hot tub for a bit. Then it's back to my room, eat dinner and try to get to bed by 8:00 PM. I wait until the last race is run before I do park commando...and have adult beverages.

surfsupdon

Both are correct.

I run my race, head to the Resort and sit in the hot tub for 30mins, cycling my legs like I’m on a bicycle for some of the time. Then I shower. Then lay down and rest or take a full blown nap.

I am never a napper. But for Dopey I was.

Texas84

I did parks after the 5K and 10K, but hit the pillow by 8 PM. After the half I might go to Epcot to eat, but that's it. Stay off my feet as much as possible the day before the full. Then back to the parks after the full. No napping. Got to show off the bling.

RunningKoen

...what am I thinking!?! I'm toying with the idea of the cruise add-on to get the Castaway Cay medal too. Anyone know where I can sell a kidney on the black market? $$$$$

Don't get me started. I would have to do it aswell, after our deal.

I guess you would be the worst drinking buddy ever ;-) " I guess we can have those wodka shots aswell ".

LAKid53

Premium Member
Before the 2 of you commit to the Castaway Cay challenge, just note that the registration cost for that race is $80, ON TOP of registration fees for one of the Marathon Weekend races. Not sure what you get for that $80, as the Castaway Cay 5K has no entry fee - you register when you arrive on the ship. Like all other rD 5K races (except 5K as part of Dopey), the race isn't timed. And I don't think you get a race tshirt for this one - you don't get a race tshirt for the Castaway 5K.

dreamfinder

Before the 2 of you commit to the Castaway Cay challenge, just note that the registration cost for that race is $80, ON TOP of registration fees for one of the Marathon Weekend races. Not sure what you get for that $80, as the Castaway Cay 5K has no entry fee - you register when you arrive on the ship. Like all other rD 5K races (except 5K as part of Dopey), the race isn't timed. And I don't think you get a race tshirt for this one - you don't get a race tshirt for the Castaway 5K.

Short write up here -> https://littlemoreeachday.wordpress.com/2017/01/24/castaway-cay-challenge-2017/ seems to indicate that you get the challenge medal plus the rubber medallion normally associated with the event, and a tech shirt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom