Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They really need to post pictures and such when they do the pre-order. Sure, I might take a flier on a $15 pin, but a $80 hoodie sight unseen? No thanks. And you still needed to wait in line to get in even if you did pre-order since the pickup was inside the merch sales area this year.

Perhaps that's why merchandise has moved to a new building. Just wish they would combine bib & shirt pickup in the same building. Not fun wandering through the vendor area to get your shirts and gear bag.

RunningKoen

Perhaps that's why merchandise has moved to a new building. Just wish they would combine bib & shirt pickup in the same building. Not fun wandering through the vendor area to get your shirts and gear bag.

And have all the people skip the vendor area? With the current placement, everybody needs to see the vendors.
What else would you expect from Disney? :)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
They really need to post pictures and such when they do the pre-order. Sure, I might take a flier on a $15 pin, but a $80 hoodie sight unseen? No thanks. And you still needed to wait in line to get in even if you did pre-order since the pickup was inside the merch sales area this year.

I was sent to a different entrance where there was only the preordered items already bagged to be picked up. In fact, I was lucky because one person did start to send me to wait in line when another person told them that I had asked about preordered items and that there was a separate entrance further down.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

And have all the people skip the vendor area? With the current placement, everybody needs to see the vendors.

You can have it all at DLP :joyfull:. We get our bibs and t-shirts and then walk thru the "expo" (I use this term very loosely after experiencing WDW Marathon weekend!) to get to the exit.

RunningKoen

You can have it all at DLP :joyfull:. We get our bibs and t-shirts and then walk thru the "expo" (I use this term very loosely after experiencing WDW Marathon weekend!) to get to the exit.

I resisted the temptation to make another post to convince @LAKid53 to come to Paris, but I thought the same. You're totally right.

Besides, 'our' expo has a wall with names of all half marathon runners.

surfsupdon

I like the expo set up. Sure it was stronger in the past (with a focus on running and the speaker series) but what it has watered down to (focusing on looking good while running) is still okay by me.

My problem is that I love the NB T-shirt’s every year. But not for $30.

dreamfinder

Just wish they would combine bib & shirt pickup in the same building.

Some of them are. Usually the challenge events.

Ding ding ding. The vendors want foot traffic, and the best way to maximize it is do this.

I was sent to a different entrance where there was only the preordered items already bagged to be picked up. In fact, I was lucky because one person did start to send me to wait in line when another person told them that I had asked about preordered items and that there was a separate entrance further down.

Interesting. I didn't see a second entrance, heck, the CMs staffing the pre-ordered merch didn't even know how that process worked.

Any picture of those?

My favorite was an orange one , "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Goofy." they were selling at one point. Found this one quickly via Google ->
m_557c5e6af9a2ca32c500473e.jpg
and a few links with several pictures.

https://www.mouseplanet.com/11538/Disneyland_2016_Half_Marathon_Weekend_Recap and http://www.thekesselrunway.com/run-disney-star-wars-expo-2016/ each have a few pictures, make sure you look for the New Balance section and not the general merch section. A handful of different shirts for each event, with some more generic ones that carried over from event to event. But now that runDisney and New Balance have split, it's not an issue any more. : )

LAKid53

Premium Member
Don't mind the cotton I Did It shirts as those are usually light weight, except for the 5K. Glad to see they've started including more performance fabric shirts - I'll usually wear those for the races as they have less screen print plastic on them.

I noticed the pre-order runner's bundles for the races now include all the different pins and race magnets.

RunningKoen

The ones I always want are Cotten @RunningKoen thats why the price makes me pass. But I like a good cotton T for practices at school (I coach).

I would pass for cotton ones aswell. 30 dollar for a decent sport shirt with a neat print is worth it.

Don't mind the cotton I Did It shirts as those are usually light weight, except for the 5K. Glad to see they've started including more performance fabric shirts - I'll usually wear those for the races as they have less screen print plastic on them.

I noticed the pre-order runner's bundles for the races now include all the different pins and race magnets.

The Paris ones are heavily screen printed plastic, something I find really irritating. Rarely wear the race shirts. They all have a bad fit aswell.

Kitchen Kabaret

Hello from the UK. I must start with congratulating those who ran in this year's WDW marathon and other RunDisney events!

Could any of the more seasoned marathon runners amongst you indulge me on the matter of nutrition. I'm quite interested to know how you track what you are eating in the days leading up to the marathon in the parks in terms of ensuring you're getting sufficient (and quality) carbs...etc. If you're on property in the days before the event, how do you manage to stick to an effective meal plan? Do you pack foods that you're used to eating in training and ahead of non-Mouse related marathons before travelling to a resort (so you can ideally stick to what you know), do you raid every bakery on Disney property for pretzels and bagels :joyfull: , or do you have favourite meals on sale at the hotels/parks that you feel you can rely on?

I've long been wanting to return to WDW after many years and have been toying with combining a return with a run event at some point in the future, especially having stopped at the RunDisney booth at this year's London Marathon Expo (surviving this year's London Marathon in record high 75 degrees F temperatures, after 18wks of training in hail, rain and snow, also gave me thought that a run in Florida might not be beyond my grasp should I happen to take part on a particularly hot WDW marathon day).

I honestly didn't pick my forum name with the intention of my first post being a question about food, but here we are. :geek:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Hello from the UK. I must start with congratulating those who ran in this year's WDW marathon and other RunDisney events!

Could any of the more seasoned marathon runners amongst you indulge me on the matter of nutrition. I'm quite interested to know how you track what you are eating in the days leading up to the marathon in the parks in terms of ensuring you're getting sufficient (and quality) carbs...etc. If you're on property in the days before the event, how do you manage to stick to an effective meal plan? Do you pack foods that you're used to eating in training and ahead of non-Mouse related marathons before travelling to a resort (so you can ideally stick to what you know), do you raid every bakery on Disney property for pretzels and bagels :joyfull: , or do you have favourite meals on sale at the hotels/parks that you feel you can rely on?

I've long been wanting to return to WDW after many years and have been toying with combining a return with a run event at some point in the future, especially having stopped at the RunDisney booth at this year's London Marathon Expo (surviving this year's London Marathon in record high 75 degrees F temperatures, after 18wks of training in hail, rain and snow, also gave me thought that a run in Florida might not be beyond my grasp should I happen to take part on a particularly hot WDW marathon day).

I honestly didn't pick my forum name with the intention of my first post being a question about food, but here we are. :geek:

Welcome to the Forums! And congrats on running the London Marathon.

As far as nutrition goes, I'm a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) member, so I book a one bedroom villa that has a full kitchen for race weekends, so I can cook my own food. I live in Florida a 4 hours drive away. I pack a cooler with food for dinner my first night at WDW, some frozen items (soups, spaghetti sauce) and breakfast stuff - eggs, milk, oj, etc. I arrive the day before the Expo starts. After the Expo, I drive over to a nearby grocery store and shop for stuff for both lunches and dinners. Quality proteins like fish, chicken and lean meat. Vegetables, fruit, rice, bread, bagels are also on my list. I normally eat whole grain pasta and bread, but switch to the white stuff during race weekend as it's easier to digest. My dinners are what I ate as a kid growing up and still eat - a protein, starch (potatoes or rice), vegetable and salad. For races, though, I up the carb portion. I like to make a pasta that includes vegetables and chicken or fish. Lunches are usually a sandwich with meat and cheese and fruit or raw vegetables. And I eat yogurt every day. My pre-race meal is a toasted bagel spread with peanut butter and a cup of green tea (don't drink coffee). Filling, easy to digest and puts more glucose in my muscles. I'll bring a banana with me to eat while I'm waiting, as you'll have at least an hour's wait time before you start.

runDisney hands out a food box after the races, along with a banana. Frankly, what's in that box is mostly junk - cookies, pack of fruit bits, applesauce, tortilla chips and liquid cheese to dip them in. :hungover: I eat the applesauce and fruit bits, save the cookies for later and toss the rest of the box. When I get back to my room, I drink a big glass of chocolate milk, soak my feet for a bit, clean up and have a big breakfast with oatmeal and eggs to start that important recovery period. Once I've finished all my races, I then indulge in Disney food and adult beverages until I leave to drive home.

All of the on property hotels have what Disney calls quick service food courts where you can pick up pre-made items like sandwiches, salads and bakery items. Or you can order something. The Moderate and Deluxe resorts also have sit down, table service restaurants, in addition to the quick service spot. All rooms have a small under counter fridge in them that can store a limited amount of fresh food. All resorts, except for a few of the Value resorts, have coffee makers. All of the parks and Disney Springs have many options for food. I think it will be easy to eat on property and maintain a pre-race diet, just stay away from the stuff experts advise you not eat before a race - spicey foods, beans, anything than can give you tummy troubles.

As far as weather, temperatures for Marathon weekend are usually cool - 50s overnite and at start time. This year's race weather was unusual. Extremely cold in January for the Marathon, very warm - even hot - for the Princess Half in February and typical for the Star Wars Half in April. Lots of runners pack a cheap sweatshirt or hoodie to wear in order to stay warm while standing around in the corrals waiting to start. And then toss it along the side of the course once they've warmed up. runDisney then picks up the discarded clothing, cleans it and donates it to local charities. I remember reading after the conclusion of Marathon weekend that they were able to donate thousands of pounds of clothing to local charities. And there always the black plastic trash bag trick for staying warm.

I'm going to be participating in my first Marathon weekend next year, now that the Anaheim races are on hold. But just the 10K, as I've got all the Princess races the following month. I have no desire to run a full marathon, which my feet are very happy about.

Hopefully, we'll see you next January and at other runDisney events in the future. And you're not far from the Disneyland Paris Half.

RunningKoen

Quick, @Swissmiss. A new person to lure to the Disneyland Paris Magic Run Weekend!

Welcome to this forum, Kitchen Kabaret. I ran my marathon badly prepared, without even a breakfast (just a bagel doesn't count), and ended up hitting the wall. I'm a bad advisor, for the matter of nutrition.

Texas84

The resorts with food courts are great for marathon weekend. They have the basics, good quality, not too exotic, and won't (shouldn't) mess up your stomach. Chicken, pasta, turkey, veggies, etc. And they are quick (well, usually) and convenient.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Quick, @Swissmiss. A new person to lure to the Disneyland Paris Magic Run Weekend!

Welcome to this forum, Kitchen Kabaret. I ran my marathon badly prepared, without even a breakfast (just a bagel doesn't count), and ended up hitting the wall. I'm a bad advisor, for the matter of nutrition.

You hit the wall? No energy gels or beans to eat during the course?

Swissmiss

Premium Member

I knew I could count on you to bring it up for us. I am still hoping that @LAKid53 will join us since there is no Anaheim race earlier in September this year ;).

I'll add @Kitchen Kabaret a welcome to this forum as well and a caution that the weather during Marathon weekend is very unpredictable so come prepared. I flew over from Europe about 10 days or so before the race this year, expecting pleasant but not warm temperatures (for which I was grateful after having trained in freezing, rainy weather) but instead found weather was as cold as what I had been training in. Which would have been fine if only I had the warm clothes I had trained in :banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom