News Walt Disney World holidays 2021

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They’ve been putting it in that space for most years it’s been displayed.
Interesting. I could have sworn it was to the left of the exit doors on the south side a few times, but maybe not. And, of course, I cannot find any pictures of the carousel we may have taken. 😂

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Are you thinking of the train display they set up in the Yacht Club lobby?
Sounds like it
Disneys-Yacht-Club-Resort_Full_45596.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't understand why Father Christmas is wearing green. Here in the UK when you see FC in stores, at children's soft play centres etc he is always wearing red, never green. On Christmas cards, he is always in red too.
Apparently in England he was originally green, and then in the 1930's Coca Cola turned him red.

Disone

Just returned from a Visit to Disneyland. OMG DL Holiday celebration is on point!

In comparison WDW was fallen way behind. Its amazing these two resorts are owned by the same company.

Things that immediately jumped out to me.

Hours are much longer. 8am opening to either 10pm or Midnight. One night Disneyland did close at 7 p.m. because of the very merriest hard ticket event.

Full Blown Christmas Parade during regular Park hours.

20211207_152248.jpg

20211207_152403_HDR.jpg

20211207_152643_HDR.jpg

20211207_154057_HDR.jpg

FULL BLOWN in addition to character cavalcade which I might add were actual cavalcades and not just a float with a few characters on it. For the cavalcades the characters did not just wave, they did highly synchronized dance routines as they march down the parade route.

Believe in holiday magic fireworks also during regular park hours except when it closed early for the hard ticket event.

Main Street is decked out to the nines for the holidays. Many of the other lands have decor too.

20211205_171408.jpg

Sleeping Beauty Castle is all glow and a few times each night it shuts off so that they can slowly turn it back on. They do so with a gentle story and a christmas song Originally used in a DCA show called Lumineria. The show culminates in a snow (snoap) fall.

20211205_225843.jpg

Not pictured, Frontierland. Fantasyland and even Towntown are all dressed up with Garland trimming the buildings much of which lights up at night. New Orleans Square is loaded with festive decor, rivals Main Street but in its own way and here The Haunted Manion Holiday is the star! It is decorated amazingly both inside and out.

As is It's a Small World which DID open for the Holiday Season on Monday. It was a very delayed opening due to a flood.

20211205_170232.jpg

Turns out all I took was video of the inside of Its a Small World Holiday so sorry, no pics to share.

DCA also has a lot of holiday offerings. A Food and Wine style Festival of the Holidays. Carlands is deck out for the holidays and holiday songs are used for both of its c attractions.

Near Pixar pier they do Viva Navidad which celebrates the hispanic cultures during the holidays. This is sort of a move it shake it type street party but much more elaborate. Floats, Dancers, Characters, several live musicians and a few other surprises along the way combine to make for an experience I willing went out of my way to watch three times in two days. This show starts big and gets bigger and by the end they reach over 50 performers!

20211206_154722.jpg

20211206_154858_HDR.jpg

The grizzly peak area has these glass mason jars hanging in the trees with tiny red lights or green lights in each one. So pretty and the giant bear statue has a giant ugly sweater just perfect for the Holiday season.

Santa Clause has nightly visits to both the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californians. I did not notice if Paradise Pier did as well. But Santa roams and does tell stories to the kids. The resorts are also decorated nicely. Grand Cali as a large tree and large gingerbread display in its lobby but here I will say they did not compare to Grand Floridians. That said the huge and tall trees outside at the entrance were layered in white Christmas lights. So pretty and the main entrance to the Disneyland Hotel had upside down Christmas trees hanging from the ceiling and light up candy gum drop bushes made the entrance so festive.

Everywhere in both parks the live entertainment was just one right after another. Big shows and Parades to small bands and musicians. All Holiday themed.

Main Street USA is super festive

Wide Spread park decor in DL

Full scale Parade

Numerous other live entertain offerings.

Exterior of Its a Small World is Stunning and does shows.

Interior of its a Small World is a complete floor to ceiling holiday theme lake over.

So is Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Viva Navidad

Live bands all over the main Promenade.

Wide Spread park decor in DCA.

Carlands land decor is over the top and worthy of a specific mention.

Maters Jingle Jamboree

Joy to the Whirl dancing cars

Downtown Disney and the resorts are dressed up.

AND that's just the big stuff.

Some will defend WDW... And there are good offerings. The Decor at Hollywood Studios is on Par with Disneyland and DCA. Why? Because it extends well beyond Hollywood Blvd.

Epcot has a lot to offer too. Candle light is nightly vs Disneylands one weekend but oh what a spectacular one weekend it is. Epcot does have the story tellers and Living with the Land's holiday make over is very underrated. Add that now Spaceship Earth gets in on the Holiday cheer too! The problem with Epcot is that its so big that the offerings still feel sparse. And the biggest problem with both Kingdoms is that the Holiday Offering are sparse.

WDW seems to fall into a rut of doing the same thing everywhere: a big tree, garland and wreaths. Its a check mark christmas experience with all the warmth and joy of your Corporate's emailed holiday greeting.

Come to think about it that maybe the same issue with the WDW 50th anniversary. It has some great new stuff but over all its lacks.

The Magic IS calling, but its calling collect and I am not sure if I want to answer it anymore.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
WDW seems to fall into a rut of doing the same thing everywhere: a big tree, garland and wreaths. Its a check mark christmas experience with all the warmth and joy of your Corporate's emailed holiday greeting.
Yes WDW's holiday offerings are now a fraction of what they were, with little no imagination or real desire to do anything special.

In the past, people would plan trips specifically to WDW to see things like the Osborne Lights, and Peace on Earth finale. The only effort now goes into offerings that are money making, such as Candlelight dining packages and the GF Gingerbread house. There is very little reason for anyone to plan a holiday trip now.

WDW holidays needs a complete rework.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WDW does need a lot of work on Christmas, I was just there this past week, and most of what they offer is behind a pay-wall.

However, there are some bright spots:

The Candlelight Processional is as good as ever (maybe even a bit better with a cast choir and not a High School choir)​
DHS at night is magical for people of a certain age.​
The new Minnie Christmas fireworks is wonderful. Much better than Enchantment or Harmonious! Good music, good visuals, synchronized fireworks. It all comes together. I had considered the old Christmas fireworks as one of the worst evening shows previously.​

ToTBellHop

Even Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam was great fun several years back before most pyro was cut. Can’t be bothered to put even the anemic version on this year. They clearly think people will show up for the bare minimum and they seem to be correct for now, but it’s not very forward thinking. Between the cuts and Genie+, I’m not hearing strong, positive feelings from current visitors.

It shouldn’t be like this during the 50th.

dreday3

Have they even stated why they aren't decorating at full tilt?
Don't they have decorations in storage so it's not a spending thing?
Are they at least trying to blame it on staffing (which I guess...not enough to put up the decorations?) or just staying silent because they think people don't care?

How long can they keep blaming the Pandemic for some this...

castlecake2.0

Have they even stated why they aren't decorating at full tilt?
Don't they have decorations in storage so it's not a spending thing?
Are they at least trying to blame it on staffing (which I guess...not enough to put up the decorations?) or just staying silent because they think people don't care?

How long can they keep blaming the Pandemic for some this...
Remaining silent. Most likely a combination of less people to refurbish the decorations during off season and less money to pay for materials. I noticed Epcot, Studios, and MK all had items updated from last year, but the side effects of that seem to be huge cuts at resorts along with restaurants inside the park. They couldn’t even bother to hang some wreaths on the entry arches to property. It really is pathetic!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Are you thinking of the train display they set up in the Yacht Club lobby?
No, we never really ventured over that way, at least at Christmas time. Maybe it was moved for one year and that was the year we saw it, so I thought that’s where it always was. I could also just be misplacing where we saw it in the 2000's and early 2010's.

Either way, I’m happy to see pictures of the carousel. Always a good thing to see, it’s really something to behold in person.

I apparently never hit 'Post reply' on this yesterday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom