News Walt Disney World Annual Pass price changes effective October 16 2018

note2001

That's not true, the pass will never "pay for itself" through discounts as you wouldn't be making any of those purchases if you didn't have the pass.

Maybe Zombiebbq is an eBay reseller of Cinderella popcorn buckets or rose gold mickey ears, in which case, yes it would pay off.
Not judging... okay, maybe a smidge. :angelic:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I've got APs I've purchased but not yet activated. Was planning on using late this month, Thanksgiving and Spring Break. Do I sit on them, modify my trips, get 18 months at Universal, and activate the WDW APs either towards the end or after that? I have already told my daughters about the Thanksgiving trip, and we are meeting my parents. My mom will definitely prefer WDW over Universal, and my younger daughter is looking forward to the less intense coasters of WDW. We will also likely have friends visiting that Spring Break who will prefer WDW to Universal - at least somewhat. I'll probably stick to the original plan, but the 18 months for 12 is attractive.

I was told by a CM: if you wait too long to activate your AP’s, they will charge you the difference between what you paid and the higher price.

They could not give me an exact timeframe of when that would happen. They suggested about a year.

Naplesgolfer

Maybe Zombiebbq is an eBay reseller of Cinderella popcorn buckets or rose gold mickey ears, in which case, yes it would pay off.
Not judging... okay, maybe a smidge. :angelic:

I know I save way over a $1000 on pass discounts on food, tickets and services in a year. If TGO didn't have the pass I would be buying tickets. I use TIW for food. But the point is the pass pay's back it's value in discounts for some people. I pay for TIW in 2 days.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I know I save way over a $1000 on pass discounts on food, tickets and services in a year. If TGO didn't have the pass I would be buying tickets. I use TIW for food. But the point is the pass pay's back it's value in discounts for some people. I pay for TIW in 2 days.

The cost of TiW doesn't even break even until you've spent $850, so that's just not possible unless you have a pretty large dining party on both days. You also can't get pass discounts on food if you're getting food discounts with TiW. You would have to spend a minimum of $5,000 on food, merchandise, and services in a year to save $1000 and that's only if every purchase nets 20%. The pass doesn't pay back its value for anyone, the discount just reduces the sting and changes the perception to make people feel like they're getting a deal.

Last edited:

Radeksgrl

And the app has been terrible lately, especially this week (but I've also encountered regular problems over the past couple months, much more than usual). I had some friends in town this week and we've had problems with both the app and the website for 3 days in a row now. And that is using both Disney wifi and various mobile data plans. Wednesday there was a few hours where we couldn't modify the times of any FPs. Yesterday wait times were not available for any of the 4 theme parks (the App kept giving an error message about "filtering out the fun" and the problem lasted all day). And this morning I went to login to my account and it says my password didn't match my email address. As a passholder, I've had the same login credentials for 5 years now.

SO WHAT'S THE DEAL DISNEY??? If you're going to jack up AP prices at least provide an app that works consistently and reliably. It is so frustating!!! Especially when I have friends visiting from out of town and the crappy app is making their once a year visit less than magical.

Naplesgolfer

The cost of TiW doesn't even break even until you've spent $850, so that's just not possible unless you have a pretty large dining party on both days. You also can't get pass discounts on food if you're getting food discounts with TiW. You would have to spend a minimum of $5,000 on food, merchandise, and services in a year to save $1000 and that's only if every purchase nets 20%. The pass doesn't pay back its value for anyone, the discount just reduces the sting and changes the perception to make people feel like they're getting a deal.

We regularly spend over $100 per person at one meal. They are many of us who spend over $5000 on ticket's etc in a year. I just stated it works for some. You reverted to it doesn't work for anyone.

wendysue

I am so sorry to hear this. As it stands my husband and I will never have the disposable income for a true Disney trip either..we are going all out at Tokyo Disney for our honeymoon and I don't know when we will be able to get back to WDW any time soon (and if we do Universal is our focus for a variety of reasons). I feel you!

Thanks, but we really feel that we had our trips during some of the best times of Disney and glad for that. Now, alot of the stuff we liked is being destroyed for things we have no interest in.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Most people aren't looking for payback. They're just looking for "cheaper." So if the AP price divided by the number of visits comes out less than the best MYW extended-stay ticket price anyone else can get, they're good with it.

disneyflush

Thanks, but we really feel that we had our trips during some of the best times of Disney and glad for that. Now, alot of the stuff we liked is being destroyed for things we have no interest in.

This is really interesting. The shift in your experience to 'accepting'' you experienced Disney during some good times and are content moving on based on the current experience.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
We regularly spend over $100 per person at one meal. They are many of us who spend over $5000 on ticket's etc in a year. I just stated it works for some. You reverted to it doesn't work for anyone.

Oh come on now. Disney is expensive but there are few places on property where you can spend $100 per person on a meal without going to the extreme. You don't eat at Shula's or California Grill every time you're at the park. You were selling the story of the discount paying for itself, you also don't spend $5000 on discounted tickets.

I also didn't say that discounts don't work for anyone, I made the point that discounts don't make things free and they don't reduce the price of things that wouldn't be purchased without buying into the pass.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Most people aren't looking for payback. They're just looking for "cheaper." So if the AP price divided by the number of visits comes out less than the best MYW extended-stay ticket price anyone else can get, they're good with it.

Cost reduction, sure. Paying for itself? That's mathematically impossible unless you're abusing the pass discount for resale.

Naplesgolfer

Oh come on now. Disney is expensive but there are few places on property where you can spend $100 per person on a meal without going to the extreme. You don't eat at Shula's or California Grill every time you're at the park. You were selling the story of the discount paying for itself, you also don't spend $5000 on discounted tickets.

I also didn't say that discounts don't work for anyone, I made the point that discounts don't make things free and they don't reduce the price of things that wouldn't be purchased without buying into the pass.

I eat at Flying Fish, Boat House, Wine Bar George, Il Mulino, Blue Zoo, Le Cellier, Tiffins, Cali Grill, V & A and others. Main course and app cocktail and split a bottle of wine. Not even hard to do. We like good food and wine. I said discounted tickets and Merchandise. Use you pass to pay for 200 rain coat in Norway then MNSSHP tickets and desert parties and Africa trek. There are many many discounts. TIW is paid for usually in 24 hrs.

twilight mitsuk

And the app has been terrible lately, especially this week (but I've also encountered regular problems over the past couple months, much more than usual). I had some friends in town this week and we've had problems with both the app and the website for 3 days in a row now. And that is using both Disney wifi and various mobile data plans. Wednesday there was a few hours where we couldn't modify the times of any FPs. Yesterday wait times were not available for any of the 4 theme parks (the App kept giving an error message about "filtering out the fun" and the problem lasted all day). And this morning I went to login to my account and it says my password didn't match my email address. As a passholder, I've had the same login credentials for 5 years now.

SO WHAT'S THE DEAL DISNEY??? If you're going to jack up AP prices at least provide an app that works consistently and reliably. It is so frustating!!! Especially when I have friends visiting from out of town and the crappy app is making their once a year visit less than magical.
And one free ap only Christmas and Halloween party per year, free resort parking, one free meal a day, and unlimited fast passes per day

Kman101

I don't think they are going away, I just think they are going to let the prices weed out some. And expect all tickets to go crazy next year.... then tron another massive increase.... God I hope I'm wrong

Very true. I'm right here with you on this actually. I can see them trying to weed out some people. I no many on here detest the monthly payment option, I don't mind it, but that could be one way to do it, although I can't see them doing away with it, for some reason.

Kman101

The AP does give 10% on many meals, 20% on merchandise, free parking, and discounts on extra event tickets, sure. That's not news. How many times would you need to use those discounts to cover the cost of the AP? How much of those things would (anyone, not just you) not buy if you didn't have the AP?

Remember the point that I was making..without the AP you probably wouldn't be spending money on items that would be discounted by the AP. For that reason..for most people the AP will never pay for itself.

And how much does that discount really add up to? Not much unless you are buying a ton of stuff or a lot of food. I often don't even ask for the discount, I mean, it's nice, but it's not overly significant like some want to make it out to be. I actually had an awesome castmember in the Figment store ask me last year. I was shocked and immediately went to go give him a compliment.

I mean, one could argue they're doing more than they've done in the past several years for passholders, but it feels like the bare minimum and lip service on some level.

Look at the passholder exclusive "events" they've done that they limit admittance to, sorry, lower level passholder, we don't want you. But we want you when we offer a chance for you to buy our merchandise! It's actually insulting. I wish more people had spoken up about that.

It's always interesting to me how some just refuse to be critical even when logic suggests they should be a little ticked off. But to each their own and all that.

It's also always been interesting to me what we feel we're entitled to but when it comes to, say Disney, many hesitate to demand to be treated better. It's odd. You can love something and still expect it to be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

ppete1975

And how much does that discount really add up to? Not much unless you are buying a ton of stuff or a lot of food. I often don't even ask for the discount, I mean, it's nice, but it's not overly significant like some want to make it out to be. I actually had an awesome castmember in the Figment store ask me last year. I was shocked and immediately went to go give him a compliment.

I mean, one could argue they're doing more than they've done in the past several years for passholders, but it feels like the bare minimum and lip service on some level.

Look at the passholder exclusive "events" they've done that they limit admittance to, sorry, lower level passholder, we don't want you. But we want you when we offer a chance for you to buy our merchandise! It's actually insulting. I wish more people had spoken up about that.

It's always interesting to me how some just refuse to be critical even when logic suggests they should be a little ticked off. But to each their own and all that.

It's also always been interesting to me what we feel we're entitled to but when it comes to, say Disney, many hesitate to demand to be treated better. It's odd. You can love something and still expect it to be better.
I think its funny that you are seeing the AP freebies change. You used to see come to the park and get this free widget (for AP's only), then it became you can buy these Widgets (only for AP's), now the free widgets you have to come 4 times for a little cutting board.

PeoplemoverTTA

We had a really nice time on our trip in August, but when we got home my husband and I both said that we felt we were getting very close to not getting adequate ROI on our investment.

Literally starting the week we got back came the entertainment and other cuts. Then the food and beverage hikes. We've been pass holders (well, I've been, my husband didn't join until 2012) since 2003.

The price of an AP has more than doubled since then. Hotel rates have gone crazy (I remember 50% passholder hotel discounts...paying $149 for a deluxe, even $249 for a nice Poly room). Has the number of attractions doubled since then? Apparently turning 38 has made me a grumpy old lady, but my husband and I both agree now that the ROI just isn't there for annual visits anymore (I actually used to visit 3-4 times a year before getting married and now having a baby). We would get APs and do our big trip as a family and a small couples trip in the winter.

We'll be back because I want my daughter to have the experience of a WDW vacation growing up like I did. But I also went every 3-5 years. She'll probably get the same. I never, ever thought I'd say this, but I'm just done with this place for awhile. Maybe we'll take a cruise next.

fosse76

I used to have an AP for several years, but after all the micro-planning required for a trip was implemented, I stopped going. The funny thing is, originally, I only purchased an AP because I happened to be planning two trips to WDW within a 1-year period, and it was cheaper than buying two separate tickets. Once I had the pass, though, I started planning more trips to WDW. Now I simply go to Universal instead. No micro-planning needed. I may go to WDW for a day or two once they open Star Wars land, but the idea of having to schedule every minute of my day is unappealing, and have no intention of ever buying an AP from Disney again.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Honestly, if Disney World treated their theme park guests the same way Disney treats guests on their cruise ships, I'd be going to the parks more often.

For the amount of money we'd spend on a 7-night stay at WDW - Park hoppers, airfare, food (no real hotel cost since we're DVC) - We can take a 7-day Disney cruise and enjoy unlimited food, non-alcoholic beverages, and a ton of entertainment. And they both are a TON of money, and it's making us reconsider where we vacation, to be honest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom