News Walt Disney World Annual Pass price changes effective October 16 2018

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Seems to me they are anticipating an Oct 16th StarWars land open. Because they usually raise the AP price at the beginning of the year IIRC but this way they can have a price in crease 6 months from now and then again right before Star Wars land opens around Oct 16th.

I expect a general huge price increase for even non AP tickets for Star Wars Land.

bl4VDRg.jpg

ppete1975

I think this is planned. Without numbers at my disposal. I think there are too many AP holders, and looking at the price of normal tickets might not have been priced correctly. Less AP holders = less crowded parks and more regular ticket buyers. AP holders can come all the time, outside of parking (guessing) souvenir's and concessions (and some people have more willpower than me, and some bring their own food), they aren't making a ton of money once the pass is sold. Especially if you look at the silver AP. I can see all APs eventually being platinum, unless they have a special florida silver. You want to get crowding down, and make more money off of the few AP's, price increases will do that.

Epcotbob

My theory is that, at least at WDW, they don't like AP holders anymore. I think they make more money on the single-day, or shorter multi-day vacationers, so they would rather cater to them. Forget about the "but AP holders are your most loyal fans" loyalty argument, that was thrown out the window a long time ago.

ppete1975

BTW my mom still talks about how they almost bought us lifetime passes when we first went 1983 but they decided it was too expensive. They weren't all that expensive, but that was when people saved up for vacations instead of using credit, and we were middle class. Looking back she still kicks herself because they would have paid for themselves several times over, and they weren't that exorbitantly priced.

kong1802

What is the "threshold" on pricing for the "traditional AP" (which by traditional I mean no blackouts, all 4 WDW parks-no water parks)?

Since 2010, the cost of that AP has risen about 70%, if I'm not mistaken.

In 8 years, are people seeing themselves paying 70% more than today's prices? That would put it at about $1450 ish, give or take $20. My line was the $760 or so we paid last year. Couldn't see paying double that in 8 years. Anyone else in at $1400?

WDW is obviously trying to get a hold on when you are coming and for how long so they can get Sarah from the University of Idaho out of there if you aren't coming. These anytime passes are hindering that, and getting in the way of the guests clamoring to pay $40/child to eat cantaloupe and meet the beast. They are steering the FL residents, at least, to the passes that WDW has more control over.

So if you want to get in the way of their labor projections, you are going to have to pay through the nose.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure that would be a good move on Disney's part? All I know is all of sudden my email is getting a bunch of offers from Disney. Everything, hotel rooms, DVC, tickets etc. etc. I don't really read through them but I have gotten a lot lately. Even Golden Oaks or whatever that place is called? They seem to think I may be interested in a $2 million vacation home near Disney? I have no interest in Golden Oaks or DVC or for that matter being a club member.

Don't know if the amount of ads I'm getting is directly related to soft sales or they are just stepping up their advertising?

Honestly...none of their decisions have been wise.

I could go on for days...but for now I’ll just say this whole “attendance flat...guest spending up” is a terrible scenario for the longterm. You can’t live off price increases...you need new customers.

Last edited:

kong1802

They’re putting the screws to them too...
The traditional Florida pricing will be gone soon IMHO

I'm with you on that.

The more I think about it, the more I could see the Silver Pass and Weekday Select as the only discounted ones, and they will cost about what the Platinum costs today.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What is the "threshold" on pricing for the "traditional AP" (which by traditional I mean no blackouts, all 4 WDW parks-no water parks)?

Since 2010, the cost of that AP has risen about 70%, if I'm not mistaken.

In 8 years, are people seeing themselves paying 70% more than today's prices? That would put it at about $1450 ish, give or take $20. My line was the $760 or so we paid last year. Couldn't see paying double that in 8 years. Anyone else in at $1400?

WDW is obviously trying to get a hold on when you are coming and for how long so they can get Sarah from the University of Idaho out of there if you aren't coming. These anytime passes are hindering that, and getting in the way of the guests clamoring to pay $40/child to eat cantaloupe and meet the beast. They are steering the FL residents, at least, to the passes that WDW has more control over.

So if you want to get in the way of their labor projections, you are going to have to pay through the nose.

Brilliant and indisputable...

Ok...lets here the trickle down economists takes...

Awful quiet on this...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I always thought those were good will towards the state for tax deductions etc. "taking care of the in state people".
But I also see that they might have been there to fill the parks in early/lean years

I would say it’s more the latter...
Those tax benefits are old news...and the management mentality is completely different now than before. The management has a completely new plan for what happens in slow times: they’ll retire with more money than you can burn in a lifetime

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Seems to me they are anticipating an Oct 16th StarWars land open. Because they usually raise the AP price at the beginning of the year IIRC but this way they can have a price in crease 6 months from now and then again right before Star Wars land opens around Oct 16th.

I expect a general huge price increase for even non AP tickets for Star Wars Land.

Actually, it likely won't open until at least late-November, so that anyone who has to renew (remember there's a 30-day grace period on AP renewals) will have to pay the higher price.

And yes, I'm expecting another price increase in February, and food/beverage/meal prices to rise at least once more before SW:GE opens. Just how "healthy" of a price increase is anyone's guess, but I know Disney will have their best accountants and data analysts working on such a difficult problem... :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom