Walt Disney Travel Company identifies 6 types of Disney Travelers

Susan Savia

Not sure where we fit in. We take several trips a year other then Disney. We spend approximately 2 weeks each year (if not more) visiting WDW but always staying offsite and our grown children still look forward to going. We make our own reservations and do our own planning and have no need for a travel agent. Our home is not wall to wall Disney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would not really worry about which category you do or do not fit into. Every single sales based business on the planet will attempt to come up with categories that will help guide their sales force to more success. They are a cold call guideline and that is about it. In reality very few people squarely fit into one of these categories, but they do give an agent a somewhat educated direction in which to proceed when dealing with a new client. Any agent worth their salt throws out the "general rules" once they really get to know a client.

Skippy's Pal

Reacting to another part of the travel agent story: If I had been in a large room with several hundred people, and the Mickey Mouse Club logo came up, and everyone started singing "the song," golly I would have just lost it <tear>.

wendysue

Wow. We don't exactly FIT into any of those categories. Well, we do, but not at those prices....we have been going to WDW every year, (sometimes twice) for about 6 years, and I've never paid more than 2,000 for a trip, including airfare. It usually has averaged around 300 for air for both of us, and the package deal used to be around 1300, but it has steadily increased each year, so this is our last time going. Going to make the most of it!
The best year was the 7 for 4 deal. Went twice that year. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
wow.. people are getting fixated on the dollar amounts attached.

Remember.. these are TRAVEL AGENTS, not just 'Disney Agents'. So roll in that airfare, and other expenses. Recognize they are talking generically.. of course your family of two spends less than the family of five.

What is significant is the motivation element, what they are willing to sacrafice, etc to make a trip happen. Not so much the dollar numbers thrown in there that obviously do not apply universally because when you travel from Georgia its cheaper than traveling from Michigan, etc.

Focus on the important part peoples... :)

luv

That was one of the dumber Disney-related things I've seen.

Keep the parks clean. Keep them family-oriented. Be nice to people. Have state-of-the-art rides and stuff inside the rides. Make it enjoyable for pre-teen boys. Advertise it. Under-promise and over-deliver so everyone who visits goes home and does your advertising for free. The people will flock to you.

These were not difficult concepts. They worked very well.

Or you could sacrifice cleanliness in order to pay people to come up with stupid data about guests.

Hey, Disney - if you can't afford to clean the parks, you can't afford to pay people to sit around putting guests into columns! Time to go back to basics, guys!

ddbowdoin

Fans: This group is comprised of travelers who already have a strong and emotional connection to Disney. They typically have a higher income. They are willing to spend more than other travelers on premium vacations and spend approximately $7,000 a year on a vacation.

They typically spend a lot of their vacation time with Disney, using the brand as a backdrop for a birthday, graduation, family gathering or so on. Fouche urged agents to find these clients and “hang on, because not only fans willing to pay a little more [for the Disney experience], they’re also likely to visit multiple Disney destinations.”

Typically a higher income...

or the likes of my kind, medium income earner who likely makes poor decisions lol

wiigirl

Fan and saver!
75.gif

JIMINYCR

I'd be best considered falling into the Fan category but there are other pieces of the other categories that would apply as well. A while ago the travel agent we use said we had been to Disney enough times to be "flagged into their system" so I assumed somewhere we were counted as being more than just a one time or occasional visiter.

I_heart_Tigger

What some people may not take into consideration for the $7000 range for "fans" is that there are a lot of fans not in the US who pay a significant amount for just airfare - I'm on the East Coast of Canada and frequently pay $600-800 per person on flights. For a family of 4 that means almost $3000 on airfare alone. Many others in Canada and of course overseas pay a lot more for airfare.

These people are included in statistics as well so although some of you may fly to WDW for $150 or less, many others are spending way more.

Add that to people who are staying 10 days instead of 7 and also visiting Sea World, Universal and getting a rental car to head to a beach and staying there a few nights.

$7000 is a fairly low number for a yearly vacation. They are not saying that these numbers are only for Americans and only spent in Disney World.

Dad 2 M & M

We are fans too but we spend about $4,500. per trip, and go about every other year to Disney. We take other vacations throughout the year.
I wonder if this is some sort of gimmick to make people think they're only a true fan if they spend 7k at Disney each year.
Exactly....even if we don't meet/surpass the true fan spending threshold, we might be tempted to come as close as we can!! We usually come within 10%-15% of the "Trueness" scale.

**Edit** And another thing...don't take offense to the stereotypicalness (Julie Andrews said it was a real word)...NOT everyone fits into one of them (or em air) boxes!

Figments Friend

Hmmm....i prefer WDW*s own system of organizing travelers.

Worldphile - A Guest that has visited multiple times/multiple visits over many years, or yearly visitor
Casual Vistor - A Guest that visits once every 5/6 years
Greenhorn - Complete newbie..first timer

I forget the actual titles associated with the last two classes...perhaps someone here can help refresh my memory?

In their own system, i am listed as a *Worldphile*. I love chatting to the CMs on the phone ...and they love me as when *Worldphile* comes up under my name on their computer screen they know they can relax. No need to have to suggest add on options, or explain anything....as they already know i know the ropes, and then some.

Looking at the list in the noted travel agent article, it seems to me the * Fan* classification is misnamed. My impression after reading the description is more along the lines of *Foamer*...not a *Fan* !

So i think a new tier is needed.

*Foamer*
*Fan*
*Saver*
*Traveler*
*...etc...etc.....

On that list, i would say i would be a Park Fan for sure.....someone who visits often but does not spend insane amounts of money.

:D

Mukta

I guess I am a fan, but I don't fit into any of those perfectly. I still take an international trip each year along with Disney park trips, I travel with friends and I do visit the international Disney parks. I think I am just not Disney's demographic in general, but I keep going anyway!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom