News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

WDWFanRay

That is fine...but that really doesn't have anything to do with operations.
Park attendance is down so they brought back the AP’s, instituted more Florida resident park deals, closed the Galactic Starcruiser, offering the largest summer hotel discounts in years, recently cut WDW castmember jobs with another round of cuts coming in August, etc. The signs that this may be at least partly due to the current political positions (on both sides) is hard to overlook.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Park attendance is down so they brought back the AP’s, instituted more Florida resident park deals, closed the Galactic Starcruiser, offering the largest summer hotel discounts in years, recently cut WDW castmember jobs with another round of cuts coming in August, etc. The signs that this may be at least partly due to the current political positions (on both sides) is hard to overlook.
According to Josh, this lull is because the 50th celebration is over. Consistent with the end of other major celebrations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I love how people think this money is sitting in a vault somewhere just ready to be spent.

This money doesn't exist except on a spreadsheet.
Once again... displaying the lack of knowledge in the subject. Cash and cash equivalents reported on the financial statements are in fact liquid assets... things that are cash or cash convertible in near term without highly fluctuating value.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Once again... displaying the lack of knowledge in the subject. Cash and cash equivalents reported on the financial statements are in fact liquid assets... things that are cash or cash convertible in near term without highly fluctuating value.
Except none of this is "near term". This is undisclosed future investments.

Of course then when "Economic Conditions" or "Business Priorities" change or pick your excuse, *POOF* it's gone.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That really has more to do with Chapek's failed strategy (i.e.: pricing strategy) and Iger trying to clean up his mess. Also, what WDW CM cuts? Did I miss something?

MagicHappens1971

Who said anything about costumes? TDO’s aren’t castmembers?
They are. But when you say “cast members” you imply front line cast members, which implies the operation that you claim is effected.

WDWs day-to-day operations have not changed due to the Disney V DeSantis fight.

Layoffs are company wide and due to restructuring and budget constraints due to the insane amount of money they are spending on streaming.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I love how people think this money is sitting in a vault somewhere just ready to be spent.

This money doesn't exist except on a spreadsheet.
We all know Bob bought the exclusive rights for the cloaking technology from 'Star Trek' and is secretly using it to hide his money vault on the grounds of his palatial estate. That's where the money truly is.

Andrew25

This downturn should have been expected post-50th, and the winding down of Covid Revenge travel. All businesses are currently suffering from over-forecasting and getting a bit greedy when it came to their success in 2021-22.

They'll recover, but with lots of professional jobs cut, prepare for a full year of deep discounts.

The parks are quiet and have not been terribly busy the past few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyHead123

I’ll be curious to see how park attendance trends over the next few months. I don’t think this time of year is representative as it’s the end of the school year so other than the very beginning of the school year, about the least likely time for anyone with a student in the family to travel. But there are a lot of factors at play. Post Covid travel is winding down, inflation continues to rise, and I doubt the word of mouth for all of those long-dreamed-of post Covid trips was good, as the parks were over crowded, suffering from labor shortages, and had just introduced unpopular changes like Genie+, no Magic Express, and the reservation system. I don’t think the political climate would typically be a game changer in and of itself but on top of everything else there could be some impact on both sides, as one side doesn’t want to spend money in Florida and the other doesn’t want to spend money at Disney.

Then again, was looking at resorts the other night and the Polynesian was up to $1400 a night for a regular room (and Dave’s was out of rooms), so it may really just be that late May is the new early September. Everyone has a kid in school or a cousin’s graduation party to go to or has to go on a post grad job hunt or whatever this time of year.

James Alucobond

… it’s trying to curtail certain unusual liberties granted 50 years ago for Disney to run its Florida operation in a more sensible time.
Even if we take other parts of your statement as true, it glosses over the fact that the way in which they are attempting to curtail those “liberties” is unusual, punitive, targeted, hastily ill-conceived, and incongruous with how all other similar districts in the state are treated.

MagicHappens1971

How does less attendance not having an effect on WDW operations? I gotta hear this 😂🤣
I said some people weren’t coming to Florida.. but anyway, less guests doesn’t effect day-to-day WDW operations.

On the other hand of this, we have no idea why people are/aren’t coming to Florida (and/or) Disney. While lower attendance can be a result of a murky financial future, a “revenge travel” cooldown, etc. We have no idea. This may have an effect on Disneys balance sheet, but none on the day-to-day operations of WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How does less attendance (your point that some visitors are not planning WDW trips because of DeSantis) not having an effect on WDW operations? I gotta hear this 😂🤣
It doesn’t. I’m not trying to be argumentative but you are taking the comments to mean something they did not.

When Josh D’Amaro said Disney's theme park operations in Florida had not been impacted in any way as a result of the ongoing dispute. He followed that up by saying that he remains, "excited about what is in store for Florida and where we can take things." He was literally telling people that WDW is open for business as usual with no interruptions to operations. He wasn’t talking about financial results. He didn’t say there was no impact on attendance or profitability at the parks. That wasn’t what the question was.

Disstevefan1

It doesn’t. I’m not trying to be argumentative but you are taking the comments to mean something they did not.

When Josh D’Amaro said Disney's theme park operations in Florida had not been impacted in any way as a result of the ongoing dispute. He followed that up by saying that he remains, "excited about what is in store for Florida and where we can take things." He was literally telling people that WDW is open for business as usual with no interruptions to operations. He wasn’t talking about financial results. He didn’t say there was no impact on attendance or profitability at the parks. That wasn’t what the question was.
Agreed, WDW survived a pandemic, they can surely survive you know who.

This will just be a bump in the road for WDW and TWDC.

TWDC and its theme parks are…….. invincible 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom