News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

DisAl

I said some people weren’t coming to Florida.. but anyway, less guests doesn’t effect day-to-day WDW operations.

On the other hand of this, we have no idea why people are/aren’t coming to Florida (and/or) Disney. While lower attendance can be a result of a murky financial future, a “revenge travel” cooldown, etc. We have no idea. This may have an effect on Disneys balance sheet, but none on the day-to-day operations of WDW.
We will still be spending some time in Florida, just not at Disney.

Disstevefan1

I just booked a WDW trip and my friend just booked 2 week long trips for the fall.
IgerQuotes2.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
For every 73 bookings cancelled, there are 150 new bookings ;)
That’s what Bob has been selling for 15 years.

And the parks are still MOBBED and I still can’t get on attractions without Genie+

The boots I know that were on the ground there last week would vehemently disagree with that statement. Walking onto Rise, FoP (almost), and many others more than an hour before park close blows your statement out of the water. Check park reservations - how many days are unavailable the rest of the year? How many DVC rooms are available the rest of the year? How many regular room discounts are available for the next 3-4 months? Can you still buy an AP despite Disney saying they could sell out at any time?

WDWFanRay

The boots I know that were on the ground there last week would vehemently disagree with that statement. Walking onto Rise, FoP (almost), and many others more than an hour before park close blows your statement out of the water. Check park reservations - how many days are unavailable the rest of the year? How many DVC rooms are available the rest of the year? How many regular room discounts are available for the next 3-4 months? Can you still buy an AP despite Disney saying they could sell out at any time?
100% correct and 30-35% discounts on resort room rates through some of the usually busiest times of the year and Florida resident discounts on park tickets. Plus all of the announced closings throughout WDW, it doesn’t sound like things are currently thriving.

Lilofan

That doesn’t change the validity of my post. I said ( SOME ) people, not everyone. I live in FL and have 4 Disney trips planned from now till August. That’s not really relevant tho
FTFY
A number of my neighbors from various income levels plan and still visit Orlando regularly. One distinct item they are not spending their income on is to buy new cars. Keeping their cars on the road for many years.

Disstevefan1

That’s what Bob has been selling for 15 years.

So glad to be wrong. Looking forward to a MOB free visit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone catch that the current EPCOT overhaul is included in the $17 billion figure?
It would make sense that they include whatever money still has to be spent. They are still doing construction there and I assume most of it gets capitalized once complete. It’s also possible that the clock on the “decade” started at the start of the fiscal year which was October 1, 2022. Companies typically do long term capital spend forecasting as part of the annual budget process.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So that proves the 17B statement was BS.
Nah, it’s a ballpark figure anyway. It’s based on long term forecasted capital spend. There is not a specific list of green lit projects that adds up to $17B. Nobody knows what projects will happen in 2028 or 2032 right now. They are just telling people they still plan to continue to spend, business as usual, at WDW and continue to grow the business and continue to add on to the parks. The stuff he listed are all publicly known projects either already under construction or blue sky stuff talked about.

Disstevefan1

1 & 2 yes I agree

#3….tell that to Kodak or Blockbuster Video 😫😫😫 I hope whoever is actually in charge there never believes this
Both Kodak and Blockbuster made mistakes they could not recover from.

Kodak INVENTED the digital camera but said "We got film, we don't need digital".

Blockbuster could have purchased NETFLIX but said, "We got our rental business, we don't need NETFLIX"

The difference is, TWDC can make mistakes over and over and over again and STILL RECOVER.

That is why TWDC and its theme parks are.......... invincible ;)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Sorry, I did not listen to the call. Can you please provide the exact quote?

Here was the question.

Okay. I think Bob has talked about planning to spend $17 billion in Florida over the next 10 years. How should we put that in context of the last 10 years in spending? And did that new campus not being built, does that impact that number at all.

Here's the answer from Josh.

No. The new campus does not impact the $17 billion. Bob called this out, I think in the Q1 earnings call, if I'm not mistaken. I think that gives you a sense of how aggressive we're being in Walt Disney World. And this includes things like the transformation of Epcot. It includes things like there's new Star Tours attraction coming in. We have a new Tiana attraction that's coming in. So we're thinking pretty aggressively about where we can take things in Florida.

I stood up on a stage about a year ago maybe or so in an event that we call D23, when the biggest fans from Disney all kind of congregate in Anaheim, and I talked about some pretty ambitious plans that we have to continue to grow these theme parks, put new capacity and put new intellectual property in. So that's part of that $17 billion. So I'm excited about what's in store for Florida and where we can take things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom