News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

JusticeDisney

Please understand, I enjoy hearing his take, (as well as the dissenting views). I have come to realize, he’s got a bit of an insiders view. He “knows where the bodies are buried”, so to speak- And that’s exactly why I frequent these boards.
I’d be fine hearing his views as well, if he were able to present them without being a total (fill in the blank). From his posting history, however, he is incapable.

But one piece of friendly advice. There are undoubtedly many insiders and experts on this board, but he to be sure is not one of them.

doctornick

Well I can't really blame him for being sceptical. Are you really that confident in what Disney will do? I'm at a point where the benefit of the doubt is gone. It's now show me. Put the money where the mouth is. Will they actually add capacity in the form of rides?
I’m actually pretty confident based on recent years - plus competition from Uni - that they will add a bunch of rides in upcoming years. The recent wave of construction was planned and started when Iger was previously in charge and I think he realized at that time that investing in rides is really key in keeping the parks enticing to guests.

doctornick

Please understand, I enjoy hearing his take, (as well as the dissenting views). I have come to realize, he’s got a bit of an insiders view. He “knows where the bodies are buried”, so to speak- And that’s exactly why I frequent these boards.
He really doesn’t. He just cites what others who are insiders have said, while putting on the most negative and cynical take on the information.

BlakeW39

My concern isn't so much IF they'll use the $17b on expanding the parks, but WHAT they'll use it for. Cosmic Rewind, Rat, and so on are just dumb fun to me. They aren't really particularly good from a theme park design perspective, just typical IP trash. They have about as much artistic merit as the "content" they mass produce for Disney+. If that $17b is just gonna be used to bring more tacky corporate vomit into the parks then nah, I'm not really excited lol.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
My concern isn't so much IF they'll use the $17b on expanding the parks, but WHAT they'll use it for. Cosmic Rewind, Rat, and so on are just dumb fun to me. They aren't really particularly good from a theme park design perspective, just typical IP trash. They have about as much artistic merit as the "content" they mass produce for Disney+. If that $17b is just gonna be used to bring more tacky corporate vomit into the parks then nah, I'm not really excited lol.
I feel the "and so on" is really broad here. Personally, I find Cosmic Rewind to be a terrific ride and one of my favorites. I can understand not wanting all new rides to be IP based (although, personally, I love having a connection to a ride, which I often feel because of the associated IP), but does that make all rides "dumb fun" and "corporate vomit?"

I'm excited for future expansions, which is what he parks need. Cosmic, MMRR, RoTR and Avatar are all some of my favorite rides - so I am content with the ability of modern Disney to create compelling rides, even if I don't love everything they do.

JusticeDisney

It’s a theme park, not a museum, lol

BlakeW39

I feel the "and so on" is really broad here. Personally, I find Cosmic Rewind to be a terrific ride and one of my favorites. I can understand not wanting all new rides to be IP based (although, personally, I love having a connection to a ride, which I often feel because of the associated IP), but does that make all rides "dumb fun" and "corporate vomit?"

I'm excited for future expansions, which is what he parks need. Cosmic, MMRR, RoTR and Avatar are all some of my favorite rides - so I am content with the ability of modern Disney to create compelling rides, even if I don't love everything they do.

Frozen Ever After, Journey of Moana, Tiana's Salt Mines, 7DMT. That's what I meant by 'and so on.' Hell, SW:GE even. It's not that they're terrible. They just weren't created from the perspective of an artist. They were created from the perspective of merchandising/marketing execs. And you can feel that. Cosmic Rewind for instance isn't a bad ride, but it is just a thrill ride and is very little more than that. Expedition Everest is a lot more than that. And I don't like going to the parks only to be surrounded by ads for Disney's brand. It's cheap and diminishes my experience in the parks.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Negative, Ghost Rider. He's a former employee, if I'm not mistaken. Not parks, but back-end business stuff.
Sorry to break it to you, but he has zero inside information, he is as clear as mud with whatever he is trying to say, and he talks down to anyone and everyone who disagrees with him. If that kind of person is your cup of tea, that’s fine, but don’t be surprised that so many others here have no use for people who act like that.

BlakeW39

Except it’s not.

No, whether or not Disney is a museum is entirely irrelevant to this discussion, being that neither museums nor anything related to them was brought up, and Disney's being a museum was not even remotely in question. So yeah, completely useless piece of information which serves only to tell me you think valuable art only belongs in a museum, which it does not.

JusticeDisney

No, whether or not Disney is a museum is entirely irrelevant to this discussion, being that neither museums nor anything related to them was brought up, and Disney's being a museum was not even remotely in question. So yeah, completely useless piece of information which serves only to tell me you think valuable art only belongs in a museum, which it does not.
Aaaaaaaand you totally missed the point! Anyway, you keep going to theme parks for beautiful art, and I will keep going to ride fun rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom