Walt Disney – A Magical Life

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not to be heartless by any means, but genuinely curious.

Who has the rights to Walt's likeness? Did Walt leave his likeness to his company, to be used by the company as they see fit? Was this something not really thought about or put into contracts when Walt was still alive?
As I recall Walt (under Roy's direction I believe) made sure that he himself was separate in terms of rights from the company. This is the Retlaw Enterprises company that the family ran for decades, which used to receive royalties from TWDC for their use of Walt.

These rights were sold back to TWDC in 1981, so TWDC owns both the name and likeness rights to Walt.

Disney Analyst

As I recall Walt (under Roy's direction I believe) made sure that he himself was separate in terms of rights from the company. This is the Retlaw Enterprises company that the family ran for decades, which used to receive royalties from TWDC for their use of Walt.

These rights were sold back to TWDC in 1981, so TWDC owns both the name and likeness rights to Walt.

So the family sold the rights away, and now detest Disney's use of those rights? From what I understand Roy's side seems okay with this, and it's the direct lineage to Walt that is not - were they involved in that Retlaw Enterprises company, or was that Roy's side?

I find this quite fascinating. Of course, there is a difference between what is legal and within the companies rights, and what is tasteful or moral.

TrainsOfDisney

Gosh, I would love to know the fee and terms of that sale.
It also included the Disneyland Railroad, Disneyland Monorail System, Main Street Firehouse and possibly the Mark Twain Riverboat (not sure if Retlaw still owned that at the time).
were they involved in that Retlaw Enterprises company
It was 100% owned by Walt’s wife and daughters.

Disney Analyst

It also included the Disneyland Railroad, Disneyland Monorail System, Main Street Firehouse and possibly the Mark Twain Riverboat (not sure if Retlaw still owned that at the time).

It was 100% owned by Walt’s wife and daughters.

Okay so ... I guess one could say, if they really truly cared about fully protecting his likeness, they would not have sold those rights away, ever.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So the family sold the rights away, and now detest Disney's use of those rights? From what I understand Roy's side seems okay with this, and it's the direct lineage to Walt that is not - were they involved in that Retlaw Enterprises company, or was that Roy's side?

I find this quite fascinating. Of course, there is a difference between what is legal and within the companies rights, and what is tasteful or moral.
Retlaw Enterprises, you might also know by another name WED. It was on Walt's side of the family.

You can read more here -

As for their objections, as far as I know its only Joanna that is objecting. I haven't heard anyone else on that side objecting, but I just may not be aware. And I chalk that up to sellers remorse, Joanna's own mother Diane Disney Miller (Walt's daughter) went along with the sale of Retlaw. If she was opposed to their use of Walt, they shouldn't have sold their rights away.

Disney Analyst

Retlaw Enterprises, you might also know by another name WED. It was on Walt's side of the family.

You can read more here -

As for their objections, as far as I know its only Joanna that is objecting. I haven't heard anyone else on that side objecting, but I just may not be aware. And I chalk that up to sellers remorse, Joanna's own mother Diane Disney Miller (Walt's daughter) went along with the sale of Retlaw. If she was opposed to their use of Walt, they shouldn't have sold their rights away.

Ah yes, the Joanna that fully detests corporate Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wish they hadn’t and I also wish Roy E. Hadn’t gotten Ron Miller (Diane’s husband) fired as CEO. Obviously there is some family drama there which is a shame - had they united together the sky would be the limit!
Hindsight is always 20/20. But who knows we may not have a Disney today if things didn't happen the way they did.

TrainsOfDisney

Plenty of things are legally right but not morally. Especially in major corporations and politics.

I’ll attend it and judge from there - I think it’s wrong to say “the family supports this” when not all of them do. But the end result may be ok.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Plenty of things are legally right but not morally. Especially in major corporations and politics.

I’ll attend it and judge from there - I think it’s wrong to say “the family supports this” when not all of them do. But the end result may be ok.
I don't call one member being vocal as "the family is against it" though either.

Disney Analyst

I think the only place this would possibly work is indeed in Disneyland, and in the theatre they have decided to place it in.

Of course it could feel grotesque and corporate, but my hope is this is a sincere addition, and something moving for us all to experience.

TrainsOfDisney

Isn't it Abigail Disney, from the Roy side, that is always speaking out against the corporate Disney. I don't remember seeing much about Joanna before this except in connection to her mother Diane and the Walt Disney Family Museum.
If anyone wants to get an idea of what Disney could have been if the Walt-Miller family had continued to lead it - visit the fantastic Walt Disney Family Museum. It’s really good and for railfans like me - the real Lilly Belle is on display!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom