Walt An Anti-Semetic???

TP2000

Woody13 said:
We could talk about "Mexican Standoff" next if you desire. Did you use that expression at dinner too?

No, it wasn't that kind of a dinner date. :cool:

I've never heard of the Dutch as being "miserly". I know the Scots used to be thought of as misers, and there was a chain of supermarkets here in SoCal known for thrifty prices named "McDaniels". They used a Scotsman in a kilt as their mascot. And the side of my family named McPhee always jokes about being cheap.

But the Dutch thing is new to me. And since it's an ethnic slur that dates back about 130 years and has become rather meaningless, I'll still be using it when I split the check with someone.

To get this back on topic.... Walt was a staunch Republican. That's why he always had Nixon cut ribbons for stuff when he was VP. He donated money to the Nixon campaign in '60 and the Goldwater campaign in '64.

Walt wasn't racist though. In early episodes of Wonderful World of Color they went out of their way to include Black folks faces in crowd scenes at Disneyland. They didn't have to do that in 1962, but they did. By the late 60's most national entertainment enterprises were including Blacks in promotional pictures and campaigns, but it was very rare in the early 60's and Disney was several years ahead of the rest.

The Disneyland Hotel had no policy against allowing non-whites to stay there, back in the 50's when Mexicans could only swim in Anaheim's city pools on one day per week. Walt's speeches and actions from the 50's and 60's also prove he was very egalitarian, regardless of race, creed or color.

The thought that he was racist or an anti-semite was something cooked up by Leftist revisionists in academia in the 80's who were simply upset because the man made his own succesful business that employed thousands and created wealth and happiness. It's been my experience that most Leftists don't like it when private enterprise does that sort of thing, as they feel government should be the only one doing that, and so they came up with the racist smear to try and diminish Walt's golden reputation.

FantasmicFan

Original Poster
I think ELEANOR AUDLEY, who gave the voice for Maleificent and Lady Tremanie was also Jewish! So if Walt was a anti-semetic, then why would he have hired her!

wdwswan&dolphin

FantasmicFan said:
I think ELEANOR AUDLEY, who gave the voice for Maleificent and Lady Tremanie was also Jewish! So if Walt was a anti-semetic, then why would he have hired her!
Well, but she voiced a villainess, Maleficent, so...
Yet here's some Anti-Nazi propaganda by Walt Disney: http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2408800?htv=12 Very interesting...Judging from this, I'd think that Walt was not anti-semitic. At least I hope he wasn't...
But was Walt Disney racist against the African-American community? These clips were cut from Fantasia starting in the 1960s, but can be found in the original version shown in the '40s and '50s:
http://widescreen.org/multimedia/fantasia1.mov
http://widescreen.org/multimedia/fantasia2.mov
http://widescreen.org/multimedia/fantasia3.mov
Was he racist, or just staying true to those "Gone With the Wind" times, when such racially derogatory depictions were standard thorughout Hollywood cinema?

P.S.: Who's "Lady Tremanie"?

wedway71

TP2000 said:
Matt Ouimet is Jewish? Are you sure? I thought Ouimet was a French name.

The woman that replaced Matt Ouimet as the President of Disneyland was Jewish though; Cynthia Harriss. Not only is she Jewish, but she is also a Lesbian. I'm sure Walt and the old-timers back in the 50's would have really gasped over that one; a Lesbian Jew running Disneyland.

But now she works at The Gap, so she's out of the Disney family. In fact, Cynthia Harriss had an interview in a local Orange County, California business magazine last month where she pretty much slammed Disneyland and Disney, and proclaimed her new job at The Gap is "much more important than just Disney". She still has an expensive home here in OC in Laguna Beach, and she keeps a home up in San Francisco near Gap headquarters, but she's still active in the Laguna scene. It was a very snotty article, and you could tell she was still stinging a bit from being fired so suddenly and instantly replaced by Ouimet in late '03.

YES,he is Jewish. I thought he was French too but when Matt and his wife first came to Disneyland they put together a Kosher dinner for him since they were trying out new Kosher foods for the resorts and they new he was Jewish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom