Walt An Anti-Semetic???

FantasmicFan

Original Poster
I've heard many rumours a few times that Walt was Anti-Semetic towards Jewish people. No that I mind at all if he was because in eyes he is and always will be an amzing man! When we went to WDW and went to OMD we never saw anything of the sort that give that idea away, and have never read anything about it on websites or biographies! Was he?

barnum42

Not so far as I am aware. I think it was touched upon the in the DVD "Walt the Man Behind the Myth" along with his alleged racist views. Both of which were said to be false.

stitch82

i have heard that he had a picture of hitler on his desk at one point, but it wasn't from a reliable source...thought i'd throw that out.

Testtrack321

As someone who created many great things for the family, rumors about Walt and not-so-family-nice things are common. I highly doubt the anti-semetic rumors, along with the anti-black ones too.

Though, there is a fairly big movie coming out on DVD soon about a cartoon family that does make a reference to Walt being anti-semetic.... :lookaroun

Connor002

i've always wondered about some of thoes things they won't say in the biographies

what religion was he

where did he hail from (i.e. 1/2 irish 1/2 german, or somthing else)

was he republican or democrat

all the questions like that

does anyone have an answer to these, by the way

The Mom

Premium Member
Walt was a man ahead of his times, but still lived in them. There are many, many things that are now Politically Incorrect which were socially acceptable 50 years ago, and were NOT said in a consciously mean way. Heck, there were things said 20 years ago, by people who do NOT hate or dislike any groups, that would bring a conversation to a screeching halt today.

I was just forwarded a joke that I first heard a couple of decades ago. Only the ethnic designation has changed. What was a specific race has been changed to Redneck. I'm sure that the person who sent the joke doesn't really hate poor, Southern, white, mostly rural people. They're just the group to ridicule these days.

There were figures of speech that were derogatory to certain groups, but we (yes, me too) uttered them without thinking about the true meaning.

"He gypped me." "Portugese Blue" "Ghetto Blaster" "Dutch Treat" "Indian Giver" The list goes on; and the majority of people who used these and similar terms would have been embarassed if they had been made aware of how insulting they are.

Walt was no different. He was a product of a different culture, and it's unfair to look back and judge him, or anyone, using today's standards of political correctness. We just didn't know any better! We were all living in the world as it was, but many of us WERE working to change it.

S_Grise

The Mom said:
Walt was a man ahead of his times, but still lived in them... He was a product of a different culture, and it's unfair to look back and judge him, or anyone, using today's standards of political correctness.
Very well stated and completely correct - politically and otherwise!
:animwink:

Wilt Dasney

As for any connection between Walt and Hitler...it's false, at least from what we know of Walt's public persona. His studios were a big source of pro-war propaganda during WWII.

"Victory Through Air Power" was a celebration of the Allied cause; "Saludos Amigos" and "The Three Caballeros" were intended to promote good relations with South America (and perhaps expand the Alliance); and "Der Fuehrer's Face" featured images of Donald Duck walloping Hitler in the schnozz (or something to that effect).

wedway71

The Mom said:
Walt was a man ahead of his times, but still lived in them. There are many, many things that are now Politically Incorrect which were socially acceptable 50 years ago, and were NOT said in a consciously mean way. Heck, there were things said 20 years ago, by people who do NOT hate or dislike any groups, that would bring a conversation to a screeching halt today.

I was just forwarded a joke that I first heard a couple of decades ago. Only the ethnic designation has changed. What was a specific race has been changed to Redneck. I'm sure that the person who sent the joke doesn't really hate poor, Southern, white, mostly rural people. They're just the group to ridicule these days.

There were figures of speech that were derogatory to certain groups, but we (yes, me too) uttered them without thinking about the true meaning.

"He gypped me." "Portugese Blue" "Ghetto Blaster" "Dutch Treat" "Indian Giver" The list goes on; and the majority of people who used these and similar terms would have been embarassed if they had been made aware of how insulting they are.

Walt was no different. He was a product of a different culture, and it's unfair to look back and judge him, or anyone, using today's standards of political correctness. We just didn't know any better! We were all living in the world as it was, but many of us WERE working to change it.

Very well said mom.I think alot of anti-semetism doesnt come from hatred but of misunderstanding of the jewish culture.Walt was raised in the midwest in the early part of the century and not alot of jews lived around farms so alot of anti-jewish feelings were from not knowing alot about them.Did walt ever use anti-semetic remarks in his lifetime?Maybe he did but I dont think he had a hatred towards jews.
I love Disney and I am jewish too.I am not cheap,and dont have a big nose,and a matter afact I have blonde hair and blue eyes and U would never in a million years think I was.
To this day i hear my share of jewish jokes or sayings.I was in wal-mart the other day in line and the guy in front of me told the cashier she "jewed him down".I laughed because life is too short to worry about little things like that but i did ask him how many jews he knew.He told me none but he just knows they are cheap because alot of his buddies say so.So there ya go.:veryconfu

aeillill

The Mom said:

well, these terms are still in use today, in fact I can think of a situation in which I've heard atleast 3 of those terms within the last week. So use of terms like this is definatley something that just happened 20 years ago.

stitch82

The Mom said:

well put, mom. a person may be a genius, but that doesn't make him perfect. i think sometimes we expect perfection of uncle walt, and it's unfair of us. i know that i tend to lose track of how old he would be t.oday, and therefore what generation he belonged to. he lived during a time of great discoveries and tragedies, and was shaped by all sorts of events. i would hedge my bets that the majority of americans (esp. in rural areas) were predisposed to dislike/misjudge jewish people before ww2, and obviously many still have misconceptions of religious and/or ethnic groups today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom