Walkway between Shades of Green and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort to permanently close

vikescaper

Darn! I was hoping it would have been delayed a week! šŸ¤£
I can definitely confirm that the walkway is now closed. When we checked in this morning, there are orange construction barricades placed across the walkway in numerous spots. There are also signs up saying that the walkway is closed and pedestrians are not permitted on the roadway. The pedestrian crossing sign on Floridian have been covered with black plastic.

vikescaper

Dumb questionā€¦.I thought that Animal Kingdom and DHS were grouped together on the same bus or was that a Covid thing? I sent an email to SoG asking about this and they replied to me stating that they are separate buses. I remember one time last year where we stopped at Animal Kingdom first and then DHS but maybe I am misremembering.
I knew I wasnā€™t crazy. We were going to take the bus to DHS this morning but DHS and Animal Kingdom were combined on the same route. We ended up driving to DHS instead.

Angel Ariel

The pedestrian bridge between DS and the hotels across the street accomodates guests walking to DS to shop, dine and drink.

What % of the guests walking from SoG to POLY are going to dine, shop or drink? POLY guests can't dine, shop or drink at SoG? ok maybe a handful a year.

There is no reason for Disney to construct any type of pedestrian crossing.

How many SoG guests use the monorail from poly? Maybe SoG needs to run continuous shuttle to the TTC.
You donā€™t know Shades guests well, do you?

As a frequent shades guest, we often shopped ate and drank at Poly. Stopping for dole whips at pineapple lanai, eating at Kona or Captain Cooks, always enjoying the shopping. Much easier to drink at Trader Samā€™s when you can walk ā€œhomeā€ too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And SoG is now garbage.

Holy hell this is a slap in the face. That walkway is HEAVILY used. If they cared, they would build a pedestrian bridge. Bad move Disney, bad move.
The real question is: why havenā€™t they bought magical memories for years to come with Disney vacation club?

Afterallā€¦you can save 85%ā€¦.no 70%ā€¦no 55%ā€¦no 40%ā€¦no ā€œsaveā€ā€¦no ā€œlock in the magicā€ for years to come?!?

ā€¦see what I did there? šŸ˜Ž

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

As a frequent shades guest, we often shopped ate and drank at Poly. Stopping for dole whips at pineapple lanai, eating at Kona or Captain Cooks, always enjoying the shopping. Much easier to drink at Trader Samā€™s when you can walk ā€œhomeā€ too.
From that postā€¦it appears Lew actually doesnā€™t know anything about shades of green.

Itā€™s a great thingā€¦something to be proud ofā€¦
This move is NOT a proud moment for wdw

lewisc

It's a one way walkway. Virtually no POLY guests will be visiting SoG.

I'm sure a few SoG guests, such as yourself, are customers of shops, restaurants and bars at POLY.

Almost all of the SoG guests posting on the internet are complaining about loss of monorail.

I have no doubt if SoG guests were a significant source of POLY customers the crossing will be replaced.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I'm sure a few SoG guests, such as yourself, are customers of shops, restaurants and bars at POLY.

Almost all of the SoG guests posting on the internet are complaining about loss of monorail.

I have no doubt if SoG guests were a significant source of POLY customers the crossing will be replaced.
Thereā€™s no reason why it has to be a ā€œtwo way walkwayā€.
Itā€™s a courtesy to a military retreat and bad taste to say ā€œwhatā€™s in it for US?ā€ On Disneys part.

Sorryā€¦no real way to put lipstick on it

lewisc

Thereā€™s no reason why it has to be a ā€œtwo way walkwayā€.
Itā€™s a courtesy to a military retreat and bad taste to say ā€œwhatā€™s in it for US?ā€ On Disneys part.

Sorryā€¦no real way to put lipstick on it
I wonder why Disney doesn't supply bus service to SoG. As a courtesy to the military Disney could offer a discount. I think that's a bigger question.

Building a bridge, primary purpose of extending monorail transportation to a non monorail resort,doesnā€™t make sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Building a bridge, primary purpose of extending monorail transportation to a non monorail resort,doesnā€™t make sense.
You missed the ā€œbad look/tasteā€ partā€¦

You donā€™t honestly believe that 1971 moto lodge across the street being converted to timeshares is ā€œworthā€ anything close to what they charge, do you??

Itā€™s ok for some things to be kinda a nostalgia good deal/nice side benefit thingā€¦it really is

Angel Ariel

If you think itā€™s a ā€œhandfulā€ of SOG guests, as youā€™ve indicated - you donā€™t seem to have a basic understanding of the popularity of that walkway. Esp. For those with wheelchairs/ECVs or strollers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you think itā€™s a ā€œhandfulā€ of SOG guests, as youā€™ve indicated - you donā€™t seem to have a basic understanding of the popularity of that walkway. Esp. For those with wheelchairs/ECVs or strollers.
As long as shades is thereā€¦itā€™s really STUPID to Make it harder to get to the hotels. The point of the parks and resortsā€¦the entire pointā€¦is to sell you stuff after you get there. Not ā€œprofitā€ off the room rates and tickets.

So having the shades people in the shops and food venues is 100% a good thing no matter the circumstances.

Godā€¦the entire Iger management needs to go. They really suck if this kinda short sighted, bad look stuff is approved.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but when DW and I stay there, we walked to the Poly every single morning, and stopped at the Tambu Lounge every evening prior to walking back to SoG. So for us when we stay there, it will be a great inconvenience.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As long as shades is thereā€¦itā€™s really STUPID to Make it harder to get to the hotels. The point of the parks and resortsā€¦the entire pointā€¦is to sell you stuff after you get there. Not ā€œprofitā€ off the room rates and tickets.

So having the shades people in the shops and food venues is 100% a good thing no matter the circumstances.

Godā€¦the entire Iger management needs to go. They really suck if this kinda short sighted, bad look stuff is approved.
^^^^This!

lewisc

My understanding is road improvements would require bulding a pedestrian bridge. My opinion would match other posters if painting a new crosswalk is all that's needed.

Angel Ariel

It doesnā€™t match mineā€¦build the bridgeā€¦

Maybe the new reedy creek can do it? After the surprise monorail inspections - of course šŸ˜Ž
Or at the very very least then restore the free theme park parking - at least at MK and Epcot. Shades had it until around 2010. Even that would be appreciated. Or shades could reduce its parking garage fee (or, ideally, Disney restores free parking and shades reduces its parking fee).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or at the very very least then restore the free theme park parking - at least at MK and Epcot. Shades had it until around 2010. Even that would be appreciated. Or shades could reduce its parking garage fee (or, ideally, Disney restores free parking and shades reduces its parking fee).
Theyā€™re not gonna do thatā€¦they just wonā€™t. Theyā€™ve been trying to not incentivize cars for decades and thatā€™s the right moveā€¦

Now theyā€™re straddling that philosophyā€¦not wanting ā€œfully integratedā€ internal Transport to save costsā€¦

Realizing airlines suck so not doing more car unfriendly stuff

And the big kickerā€¦cancelling a relatively low cost shuttle they profited off of and now having to reverse on cars a bit. That one is on chapekā€¦I donā€™t think Iger EVER would have approved that dum dum move

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom