Walkway between Shades of Green and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort to permanently close

Cousin Huet

I highly doubt their decision to widen a two-lane road to four-lanes is to appease the "outrage mob" 🥱

Your points in your previous post remain, however. I am not part of a military family, so I've never stayed at SoG, but looking from afar it is pretty gross how many benefits they've chipped away from families who choose to stay here. If there is any resort hotel on property that should receive the best of the best in terms of perks, it's this one.
My point was that they will go out of their way to appease the outrage mob but care nothing about appeasing the people that provide for their ability to operate. They get nothing from us socially and our benefits cost them precious pennies and bean counters don’t like that.

Cousin Huet

The ultimate goal in my opinion is to pry this buildings back from the DOD in a way that doesn’t cause backlash so that they can build a resort to charge outrageous prices at. They view the resort and all military members as an assault on their bottom line. They can’t outright say these things so they just slowly chip away until they can say, “no the DOD chose to leave”. Then continue to allow less and less inventory of rooms be accessed by the service members too and consistently increase prices on the military tickets as well.

When times were tough they sure sure threw it all to us to keep them afloat. Real room discounts, cheap tickets, combo the room with free dining when available. Now they don’t need us (so they think) and it’s cuts everywhere. I hope they get everyone out of China before it’s too late and I hope anyone doing business with the PRC is careful.

Cousin Huet

It's honestly incredible how mainstream this garbage rhetoric has become. No longer just a few people regurgitating this nonsense, you hear it all the time from so different types of people. Sad.
Well, you can think it is garbage all you want but the actions show the true colors. Much like the NBA, Disney has placed their business in China and the money made there over other priorities. If people had any idea of what China is all about they would be horrified and all that goes bye-bye in the blink of an eye the minute they decide to invade Taiwan. Those are facts and other facts are that the government is still accusing military members of extremism. Disney wants to do all the things that bring good PR associated with the military but continue to take and take from the actual people doing the job every day. Now the cuts aren’t enough, they are putting up a barrier to keep the SOG folk away from Polly and GF.

I said elsewhere that I believe their ultimate goal is to make SOG less and less beneficial to a point that the DOD agrees to some situation where Disney can take control and put a new luxury resort there to charge exorbitant prices at.

All of this is typical short sighted Disney. Universal Meanwhile is increasing their support currently.

Ayla

Well, you can think it is garbage all you want but the actions show the true colors. Much like the NBA, Disney has placed their business in China and the money made there over other priorities. If people had any idea of what China is all about they would be horrified and all that goes bye-bye in the blink of an eye the minute they decide to invade Taiwan. Those are facts and other facts are that the government is still accusing military members of extremism. Disney wants to do all the things that bring good PR associated with the military but continue to take and take from the actual people doing the job every day. Now the cuts aren’t enough, they are putting up a barrier to keep the SOG folk away from Polly and GF.

I said elsewhere that I believe their ultimate goal is to make SOG less and less beneficial to a point that the DOD agrees to some situation where Disney can take control and put a new luxury resort there to charge exorbitant prices at.

All of this is typical short sighted Disney. Universal Meanwhile is increasing their support currently.
Oh for god's sake. They aren't keeping anyone away from the Poly or the GF. You have multiple transportation options to get to either one.

Alanzo

BOO!

I am a proud supporter of the Shades of Green resort, a shining example of government investment in our citizens. This initiative not only provides affordable, quality vacation opportunities for our hardworking military families, but it also boosts the local economy, creating jobs and supporting small businesses in Orlando. By investing in projects like Shades of Green, we are demonstrating our commitment to the well-being and happiness of our people, while promoting the idea that everyone, regardless of their background or income, should have access to the magic and joy that family vacations can bring.

This is the kind of progressive thinking that truly empowers our communities and strengthens our nation.

What can we do?

Jambo Dad

BOO!

I am a proud supporter of the Shades of Green resort, a shining example of government investment in our citizens. This initiative not only provides affordable, quality vacation opportunities for our hardworking military families, but it also boosts the local economy, creating jobs and supporting small businesses in Orlando. By investing in projects like Shades of Green, we are demonstrating our commitment to the well-being and happiness of our people, while promoting the idea that everyone, regardless of their background or income, should have access to the magic and joy that family vacations can bring.

This is the kind of progressive thinking that truly empowers our communities and strengthens our nation.

What can we do?
I can’t tell whether you are being sincere or sarcastic.

Cousin Huet

Oh for god's sake. They aren't keeping anyone away from the Poly or the GF. You have multiple transportation options to get to either one.
Surely you are not suggesting that the first piece of intent on this is to prevent military members from jumping on the Monorail. They want to remove that benefit in order to discourage. Believe what you want though….I’m sure you are pulling from vast experience from both sides.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder if the new district board could take up this important transportation planning topic..,

Well… we could dream

Ayla

Surely you are not suggesting that the first piece of intent on this is to prevent military members from jumping on the Monorail. They want to remove that benefit in order to discourage. Believe what you want though….I’m sure you are pulling from vast experience from both sides.
It has zero to do with being military. It has everything to do with pedestrians crossing a very busy, dangerous roadway.

GimpYancIent

It has zero to do with being military. It has everything to do with pedestrians crossing a very busy, dangerous roadway.
It has to do with poor planning and design. Disney or whatever entity is responsible for this project can have a proper pedestrian bridge built. As much money as is wasted on nonsensical projects a pedestrian bridge is a drop in the bucket.

vikescaper

If they're making it four lanes, it seems like the turn into the shades would require a traffic light given the volume (and expected volumes) of traffic in that area, which would easily establish a light-protected crosswalk.

Just seems like a move to prevent SoG from accessing Poly amenities and the monorail more than anything.

SoG recently became so much better with the addition of the MK pathway, and not only does this completely eliminate that perk, it removes another dozen.
I seem to remember someone saying that they will be eliminating the left turn lane from Floridian Way to SOG as part of this project. They will be adding roundabouts at Seven Seas Drive and at the Grand Floridian entrance. To get to SOG, you would have to travel through the Grand Floridian roundabout. I did look at the site plan for the Polynesian DVC tower and it does not show a left turn lane from southbound Floridian Way and it does show the four lane expansion. If this is indeed the plan, I really hope they come to their senses and look at adding a pedestrian bridge.

rljackson

This is devastating news to my wife and I. We have stayed at our beloved SOG many times with our children since the early 2000s as an Air National Guard member and now retired military. Truly one of our fondest memories was to take that walk on the first morning of our trip over to get on the monorail to go to Magic Kingdom. Now just another lost benefit like free parking. I doubt it will do any good but I will try and contact the new governing board to see if we can get a crosswalk but I doubt there is much enthusiasm to spend that kind of money on military guests who are a very small a small percentage of their guests. Otherwise, maybe lobbying Disney to bring back free parking which we used to have will help to compensate for the loss of this beloved perk.

vikescaper

Dumb question….I thought that Animal Kingdom and DHS were grouped together on the same bus or was that a Covid thing? I sent an email to SoG asking about this and they replied to me stating that they are separate buses. I remember one time last year where we stopped at Animal Kingdom first and then DHS but maybe I am misremembering.

Cousin Huet

Dumb question….I thought that Animal Kingdom and DHS were grouped together on the same bus or was that a Covid thing? I sent an email to SoG asking about this and they replied to me stating that they are separate buses. I remember one time last year where we stopped at Animal Kingdom first and then DHS but maybe I am misremembering.
There was a grouping but I don’t recall which it was. I know the TTC for the bus that took care of MK and EPCOT but according to this picture from a planning service….you are right, it was shared at some point at least.
D3D40127-9781-4E27-BD2D-F6499EA00D14.jpeg

Last edited:

Dean Ayres

There was a grouping but I don’t recall which it was. I know the TTC for the bus that took care of MK and EPCOT but according to this picture from a planning service….you are right, it was shared at some point at least. View attachment 709683
During our previous visit in April 2022, AK and DHS were a shared bus. It does create longer travel times you must accommodate for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom