Vote for Walt Disney!

TRITON4ME

Account Suspended
Nut4Disney said:
I'm not trying to turn it into a political debate. This is a Disney Forum, not Crossfire. Triton4Me is the one who began critiquing peoples choices. (See Ben Franklin).

All I'm trying to do is show you the facts that are unknown behind some of these supposively "great" Americans! I know it is an opinion thread and I repect that but I kinda feel that some peoples opinions may be mislead by what they do not know! (see Ben Franklin)

Nut4Disney

Triton4Me,

I'm just stating my opinion as well. I have nothing against you, but since you called me out, and then said that my ridiculous comments were unsubtantiated, I've decided to provide you with some facts to back my opinion up. With regards to who's generation is better, I don't think one is any better than the other. I'm not saying that everyone your age is ignorant to the world around them, I know there are just as many people my age who haven't a clue what goes on in this world or even care. I don't even consider myself that much older than you. I do feel that that there is an overwhelming disparity in political philosphies in academia. This goes back to when I was in college as well. I don't concur with your statement that it is tougher to get through college now as opposed to previous. If you work your butt off, you will get to where you want to be regardless. You've provided your side and now I've provided my side, let's just leave it at that. Have a Disney day! :wave:

Here are just a few key points regarding Roosevelt from my paper.

Most believe that the New Deal, which was borrowed from Hoover, rescued the country from the Depression. Under FDR, unemployment averaged over 18 percent from 1933-40.

FDR knew nothing about how wealth was created, when he developed the National Industrial Administration it was an enormous contradiction. It sought to keep wages high to give consumers greater purchasing power, but it also established hundreds of legally sanctioned, industry wide cartels, which were allowed to establish “standard” wages, hours of operation, and minimum prices. The minimum prices meant that businesses would be largely prevented from underselling each other, and everyone’s price had to be at least the prescribed minimum. The artificially high wages led to continued unemployment.

His genius now moves on to food. With millions in this county with no jobs and starving to death, FDR decided to pay farmers to for cutting back on production. He though that subsidizing the farmers and decreasing the supply would raise farm prices. But now he had to deal with the existing supply of food. He decided to destroy it. 6 million pigs were destroyed and 10 million acres of cotton were destroyed. He destroyed crops to keep prices high. The newly established Dept. of Agriculture was established and decided that the U.S. was not producing enough food to sustain its population. It took a special kind of idiot to conclude that the best way to remedy this would be to make food more expensive.

Investors and businesses unsure of what he would pull next, and what punitive measure would be placed on them, simply stopped investing perpetuating the depression, and wages suffered with his boost to organized labor, like the Wagner Act of 1935.

The public sector jobs that he created simply took capital from the private sector and destroyed it, along with jobs.

FDR’s administration was one of the most corrupt in history. Most of his public works projects were distributed to states who voted for him. His administration also politically intimidated most public sector workers into voting for him and contributing monies to his campaigns if they wished to remain employed.

In the 1930’s the Supreme Court said that the National Industrial Recovery Act and the Agricultural Adjustment Act were unconstitutional. So infuriated was FDR, and knowing that 6 of the 9 justices were over 70, he proposed that once a justice reaches the age of 70 he had to resign or retire. This would allow him to add 6 more justices and preserve his New Deal programs.

The New Deal didn’t get us out of the Depression, what did was the return to normal conditions following WWII and the removal of uncertainty that had haunted business and investors for most of the FDR years.

During the nearly two and a half years that the U.S. was out of WWII, FDR portrayed himself as trying to keep us out of the war, but the truth is he was making secret pledges with the British and provoking Germany to attack us, and then lying about it.

FDR sought to change the Neutrality Law that prohibited us from selling weapons to nations at war. In 1940 FDR gave the British 50 American destroyers in exchange for 99 year leases on several military bases in the western hemisphere. This was all done illegally and without congressional approval and thus provoking the Germans.

FDR began placing warships around Iceland tracking German subs for the British. Churchill even said that they were working together to do all they could to provoke an incident. Hitler actually ordered his ships not to fire on American warships, knowing that this is how the U.S. had entered WWI. Later FDR even tried to frighten the American people with claims that the Germans were planning to invade South America and launch an attack on the U.S. Few bought this, and it was admitted that the whole plan was fictitious.

In 1937, when Japan and China went to war, he sold weapons to China, and in 1941 cut off supplies of key goods to Japan including oil, increasing the chance of Japan entering the war. He never explained to the American people the implications of his policies. FDR refused to negotiate with Japan about withdrawing from China and suspected an attack was imminent. It was, on Dec. 7th.

TRITON4ME

Account Suspended
Nut4Disney said:
Triton4Me,

I'm just stating my opinion as well. I have nothing against you, but since you called me out, and then said that my ridiculous comments were unsubtantiated, I've decided to provide you with some facts to back my opinion up. With regards to who's generation is better, I don't think one is any better than the other. I'm not saying that everyone your age is ignorant to the world around them, I know there are just as many people my age who haven't a clue what goes on in this world or even care. I don't even consider myself that much older than you. I do feel that that there is an overwhelming disparity in political philosphies in academia. This goes back to when I was in college as well. I don't concur with your statement that it is tougher to get through college now as opposed to previous. If you work your butt off, you will get to where you want to be regardless. You've provided your side and now I've provided my side, let's just leave it at that. Have a Disney day! :wave:

Here are just a few key points regarding Roosevelt from my paper.

Most believe that the New Deal, which was borrowed from Hoover, rescued the country from the Depression. Under FDR, unemployment averaged over 18 percent from 1933-40.

FDR knew nothing about how wealth was created, when he developed the National Industrial Administration it was an enormous contradiction. It sought to keep wages high to give consumers greater purchasing power, but it also established hundreds of legally sanctioned, industry wide cartels, which were allowed to establish “standard” wages, hours of operation, and minimum prices. The minimum prices meant that businesses would be largely prevented from underselling each other, and everyone’s price had to be at least the prescribed minimum. The artificially high wages led to continued unemployment.

His genius now moves on to food. With millions in this county with no jobs and starving to death, FDR decided to pay farmers to for cutting back on production. He though that subsidizing the farmers and decreasing the supply would raise farm prices. But now he had to deal with the existing supply of food. He decided to destroy it. 6 million pigs were destroyed and 10 million acres of cotton were destroyed. He destroyed crops to keep prices high. The newly established Dept. of Agriculture was established and decided that the U.S. was not producing enough food to sustain its population. It took a special kind of idiot to conclude that the best way to remedy this would be to make food more expensive.

Investors and businesses unsure of what he would pull next, and what punitive measure would be placed on them, simply stopped investing perpetuating the depression, and wages suffered with his boost to organized labor, like the Wagner Act of 1935.

The public sector jobs that he created simply took capital from the private sector and destroyed it, along with jobs.

FDR’s administration was one of the most corrupt in history. Most of his public works projects were distributed to states who voted for him. His administration also politically intimidated most public sector workers into voting for him and contributing monies to his campaigns if they wished to remain employed.

In the 1930’s the Supreme Court said that the National Industrial Recovery Act and the Agricultural Adjustment Act were unconstitutional. So infuriated was FDR, and knowing that 6 of the 9 justices were over 70, he proposed that once a justice reaches the age of 70 he had to resign or retire. This would allow him to add 6 more justices and preserve his New Deal programs.

The New Deal didn’t get us out of the Depression, what did was the return to normal conditions following WWII and the removal of uncertainty that had haunted business and investors for most of the FDR years.

During the nearly two and a half years that the U.S. was out of WWII, FDR portrayed himself as trying to keep us out of the war, but the truth is he was making secret pledges with the British and provoking Germany to attack us, and then lying about it.

FDR sought to change the Neutrality Law that prohibited us from selling weapons to nations at war. In 1940 FDR gave the British 50 American destroyers in exchange for 99 year leases on several military bases in the western hemisphere. This was all done illegally and without congressional approval and thus provoking the Germans.

FDR began placing warships around Iceland tracking German subs for the British. Churchill even said that they were working together to do all they could to provoke an incident. Hitler actually ordered his ships not to fire on American warships, knowing that this is how the U.S. had entered WWI. Later FDR even tried to frighten the American people with claims that the Germans were planning to invade South America and launch an attack on the U.S. Few bought this, and it was admitted that the whole plan was fictitious.

In 1937, when Japan and China went to war, he sold weapons to China, and in 1941 cut off supplies of key goods to Japan including oil, increasing the chance of Japan entering the war. He never explained to the American people the implications of his policies. FDR refused to negotiate with Japan about withdrawing from China and suspected an attack was imminent. It was, on Dec. 7th.

Ok here we go, back to work.

First of all you failed to explain how FDR recovered our nation from the Great Depression. Sure you gave examples of all his poor decisions during that time but you failed to state the miraculous things he did to get our nation on the road to an eventual recovery. When Roosevelt took over the Presidency, after Hurbet Hoover drove the nation even deeper into debt and on the boarderline of depression, he had to basically start from scratch! As for all those "programs" you brought up, you failed to mention the programs that truly were brilliant and brought the nation closer to recoverery. For example, what about employment program such as the "CCC" and after all he was the President responsilble for establishing social security! I mean the social security system almost completely revolutionized the Depression.

So please spare me with your one sided arguments that basically serve no merit at all. I think it has been a while since you've been in college. Here in college we have to write "Persuasive Research Papers" in which we just don't report the facts based on a biased for one side of an issue over another. Basically, what you gave me would be laughed at by professors now a days and wouldn't have much merit at all! I'm actually thinking of printing out your post and showing to my history professor so he could have a good laugh! I mean you know your stuff I give you that and you must have worked very hard on that paper but one of the most important aspects of good persuasive writing is that you support both sides of the issue and allow the reader to decide for him or herself what their stance is on the issue! What you did is basically tell me: this is the way it was and this is how you should think of FDR. Basically, you almost portrayed FDR as the second coming of Satan!

Now I do appreciate your effort but it really didn't do anything for me because I know that there is a lot more to FDR than what you portrayed in your post!

TRITON4ME

Account Suspended
imagineer boy said:
Yet another good thread gone bad. :(

Sorry man, I just had to do that. The thread was pretty much dead until this issue came up! Once again, I'm sorry but I'm sure your live. Life goes on, more threads will be posted, and it isn't the end of civilization as we know it!

Indy95

Woody13 said:
Sorry, but Walt Disney doesn't even come close to being in the top 100 of great Americans.

Oh yeah, putting smiles on the faces of countless millions, creating one of the most powerful companies in the world, building a theme park that is full of American ideals, and planning an American utopia. He doesn't deserve a vote, does he? :rolleyes:

I voted for him #1, and not "just because I like Disney"...

Woody13

Indy95 said:
Oh yeah, putting smiles on the faces of countless millions,...

Many entertainers have done the same thing. The 3 Stooges come to mind.

Indy95 said:
...creating one of the most powerful companies in the world,...

Nope. Walt Disney did no such thing. You're thinking of Michael Eisner.

Indy95 said:
...building a theme park that is full of American ideals, ...

I agree with the theme park part, but "full of American ideals" is a stretch.

Indy95 said:
...and planning an American utopia.

Which never got off the drawing board because it was totally impractical. We can all count ourselves as lucky that it wasn't built.

Indy95 said:
...He doesn't deserve a vote, does he? :rolleyes:

Sure Walt deserves a vote. All I'm saying is that there are many great Americans that have done far and away greater things than Walt. If you want to narrow the category to great American showmen, then Walt would certainly be in the top 10 in my book. However, when you put Walt in the big category of great Americans, there are just so many more people that are way ahead of Walt in significant accomplishments. I don't mean to diminish Walt's significance but put into rational and logical perspective, he doesn't bubble up to the top rank as a great American.

tigger248

I voted:

1. George Washington (important general in the revolutionary war and the 1st US president)
2. Thomas Jefferson (wrote declaration of independence)
3. Abraham Lincoln (fought to abolish slavery)
4. Neil Armstrong (first man to walk on the moon)
5. Walt Disney (animator and inventor, putting smiles on thousands of faces)

There have been so many influential Americans that it's really hard to pick the tops. I'm not really sure Walt should be really high, because I think there have been more influential Americans. However, I did include him because he did sorta change the way theme parks and movies are (and should) be made, built, and run. I guess that sorta contradicts itself, and I'm sorry for that. I guess you could say that I have mixed feelings. I definitely don't think Mickey Mouse should qualify. I love the mouse, but he's a fictional animated character.

I apologize - for some reason my "Ben Franklin" comment turned this into a "I know more about history than you do" thread, sprinkled with people's political ideas. Boy oh boy that wasn't my intent.

Triton - I'm very glad you're studying history in college, but please don't act like you know so much more than everyone else. It's very offputting. I'm married to someone who spent 6 years in a PhD program for history and taught American history to undergrads at a top university. NOW can I pick Franklin? Or should I consult my wife first? :)

Nut4Disney - Why'd I pick Roosevelt? Two reasons: 1) he inspired Americans and gave them hope through the Depression, 2) He inspired and led America during WWII. Even if one disagrees with his politics (which I refuse to discuss on this site - politics are not allowed), you can't disagree with those statements. Simplistic, maybe, but so's this poll...

Woody - I like your additions to the list.

Can we make a new poll for top 5 fictional pop-culture Americans? Here's my top 5:
Mickey Mouse
Kermit the Frog
Donald Duck
Pooh
Bugs Bunny

Nut4Disney

You know what? I could go on and on with this, and I could rebut every laughable comment you made Triton. But the point is, this was supposed to be a fun thread where people listed who they thought their 5 greatest americans were. This is not supposed to be a political thread, and we've had numerous threads in the past that have turned into that. All it does is *iss people off. I'm sorry to those who had to put up with the thread drift.

Indy95

Woody13 said:
Nope. Walt Disney did no such thing. You're thinking of Michael Eisner.

Michael Eisner created the Walt Disney Company? Last I checked, he wasn't even alive at the time.

MickMan

Original Poster
Even after reading what everyone has said I am still voting for Walt. That is what is great about America is that everyone can have there own opinion.

Sherm00

Walt Disney (watch the on the front lines DVD and it explains why he is a good choice)
Jim Hensen
Thomas jefferson(I have studied him his views and ambitions etc)
John F Kennedy(most ambitious president, was a toss up between him and ronald regan)
George washington (I shall not tell a lie, he is a profound american persona and should be in at least the top 10)

Boo72

Another great thing is that with this thread staying near the top it has given lots of people the opportunity to, not only find out about the poll and go vote for the Greatest American (who ever they belive it to be), but also to be thinking about who/what made (makes) America what it is!:sohappy:

FutureCEO

MLK, FDR, Washington, Franklin and JFK (space program) or Edison, yeah Edison instead of JFK

Walt Disney is in my top 10 but not top 5

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom