Trip Report Volunteering by Day, Park Hopping by Night! - January 2018 **COMPLETED**

Hi, forum friends! I have been back home for about a week :cry:. Finally got my photos edited, and both @Doc Disney and @prfctlyximprct are ahead of me, so I better get started.

Here's a breakdown of the trip...

Who? Me and my friend L, who was with me on my friends trip two years ago.
Where? All-Star Movies. We spent no time at the resort, so I don't regret this, but...well you'll see.
When? January 19-23
Why? To volunteer at Give Kids the World. We did two shifts in the morning, and headed to the parks early afternoon.

Here we are

Ok, so I'll get us started in the next post. Here we gooooooooo......

Rista1313

And what did you think of the frangipan, besides it being rich? How is it different from Cake?... I love the British Bake-off, but I haven't watched the new season since some of the people left and it switched channels in the UK.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
And what did you think of the frangipan, besides it being rich? How is it different from Cake?... I love the British Bake-off, but I haven't watched the new season since some of the people left and it switched channels in the UK.
It was really dense, and it's an almond cake so it had that flavor, which I happen to LOVE. I was definitely a fan!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Happy Valentine's Day, you guys!

Our third day of volunteering began around 8am. On the way to the village, we stopped at Wawa for coffee, and I got a sandwich to eat for lunch. After two days of starving all day, I finally got wise! They had a breakroom with snacks, but it was better having a more substantial meal.

We got there about 15 minutes early and walked the now-familiar route from the parking lot to volunteer services. It was a beautiful morning, and I was so excited to be there again!

We passed by Ol' Elmer, who snores quite loudly. He snoozes a lot! He is located on the outside of the castle and his interior is a fun little playground.

Our first shift was one I was PUMPED for. We were helping with character photos! Before families started arriving, we got to meet Mickey and Pluto.

Guys I LOVE Pluto! He was amazing. I saw his "friend" in the breakroom later and was slightly embarrassed that I was previously talking to him like he was an actual dog :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Pluto and Goofy switched out and we never did go meet Goofy, but we were helping with Mary Poppins' line, so we did meet her.

She was AMAZING. She could have a 20 minute conversation with a kid and never miss a beat. I was amazed.

It was really interesting watching the system they have with breaks and whatnot...it's very strict. Mickey obviously had 2 friends as he would leave and come right back. Are they union workers? I'm curious about that.

While this was super fun, I didn't feel like I was really needed. There weren't all that many families so we didn't have to keep the lines moving or anything. But we did enjoy talking to the families who came in. We saw some people we'd seen the previous days and so that was neat.

After our shift, my friend Emily came down and gave us a tour! When I started selling my shirts to raise money for the village, Emily and I started chatting on Instagram. She does their social media and maybe some marketing? She's great! I was so pumped to meet her in person, and she was wearing the shirt I had sent her. So fun! I won't post all the pictures I took, but here are a few...

This is Mayor and Ms. Clayton's little bunny house :inlove:

This train set is AWESOME! There are buttons all around the outside and each one does something different inside the set. So neat! I could have played with this thing for hours.

The ice cream palace. This is everyone's fav! They encourage the families to have ice cream for breakfast at least one day of the trip. They are rebranding this as Henri's Starlite Scoops, in honor of the founder Henri Landwirth who was big in the hotel industry. He was manager of the Starlite Hotel in Cocoa Beach during the Mercury Program. He has led a fascinating life!

We had to make our way back over to the carousel for our next shift. This one was fun too! We only ran it like 9 times, but I loved it.

It's an antique and looks like it's under a mushroom cap. So cute!

After the carousel Emily met back up with us and showed us the other side of the village. They have some adorable villas on that side!

This rainbow wall is on the playground. Emily said she grabbed the instagram name in case it became a thing :hilarious: Good social media manager right there!

We had such a blast with her, and I honestly hated to leave. I am not sure when I'll be back because R's not really interested in volunteering with me. I might try to go down between Christmas and New Years since I won't have to take off work. I know it'll be busy and they'll need people then.

Up next: Hollywood Studios and another Instagram meetup!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
We headed straight to Hollywood Studios and parked in the Donald section. The parking attendant was so fun. He kept chanting our section and row number to make us remember it :hilarious: It didn't work for me, but it helped L remember. We sat across from a lady on the tram and chatted with her on the way to the park entrance. She was very nice, and I can't remember what all we talked about, but she lived nearby.

We had a FP for Rock N Roller coaster, so we headed there first.

So earlier in the day, I had messaged thelostbros on Instagram. I'm not friends with them or anything, but I happened to hear their cover of "Under the Sea" in the character meeting area at Give Kids the World, and I thought they might like that. So I'm standing in the bay to get on the ride next and L said something to the lady next to her so I turned around and there was Cody from The Lost Bros! What are the chances?!

I just exclaimed "Oh hey! Lost bros!" :facepalm: I'm sure that wasn't weird at all. I tried to quickly tell him I followed them and that I'd just messaged them earlier. He had seen it and said he was so excited to hear that! Anyway, we didn't have long to chat before it was time to get on the ride.

That's Cody behind L.

When we got off the ride, Cody and I picked back up talking. I was dizzy as I always am after that ride. When we got outside we took a quick picture and he did a little video on his instagram story about their song being played at Give Kids the World. They are supporters of the village too. They've done a shirt that benefited GKTW before.

2018-01-22 15.43.22.jpg

Wish I looked like more of a goober... :rolleyes:

Cody's friend Desi (dunno how to spell it, but I like this spelling) was there, and the four of us chatted for a bit. Turns out Desi went to college at one of our rival schools, but he transferred, so it's all good :hilarious: We walked around a little and actually got to meet some of the characters from Fantasmic.

After that we all headed back down Sunset Blvd. I didn't want them to feel like they had to keep hanging out with us. Cody's such a nice guy, I figured he might not have an exit strategy :hilarious: I saw the march of the order thingy starting, so L and I headed over to watch that and said our goodbyes to Cody and Desi.

After they came through, we did a little shopping on Hollywood blvd. I was going to get coffee but the line was STUPID long. After a bit, we decided to get a snack, and I proposed trying the Hollywood Brown Derby Loung. I'll admit, I was in a great mood after running into Cody. It's not *quite* like meeting a celebrity....but kind of almost. I spend a lot of time on Instagram :hilarious:

We ordered some small things at the lounge. I think L got an orange soda, and I got this beauty...

Terrapin Hopsocutioner

Cochinita Pibil Steamed Buns - Green Tomatillo, Habanero Sauce, and Pickled Onions

These were GOOOOOOOOOOOD. Like, super good. But also super expensive. My bill was embarrassingly high from this, but it was a nice relaxing break for us. Also, despite enjoying it, I am kicking myself for not trying Baseline! I completely forgot about it.

Up next: Finishing out HS

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
After our snacks, we headed to Tower of Terror to use our next FP.

They must have changed the lighting because I am super hot, but everyone else is in normal light. :bored: This was fun as usual! L was using both handrests, and the girl next to me was using hers, so I had nothing to hold on to. It made me frantic at first and I grabbed the hand of the girl next to me, but I calmed down :hilarious:

Grabbed a picture of the best bellhop around on the way out.

We considered doing standby for Toy Story but it was something like a 2 hour wait, so that was a no. I didn't end up going anywhere outside of Sunset/Hollywood Blvd, which has kind of become my MO.

We were already on the tram when I noticed how pretty the sky was, so I snapped a shot from my seat.

Then we noticed the woman getting on the tram a few rows up was the lady we talked to on the way in! So crazy. We moved up a few rows so we could chat with her on the ride back. We arrived back at our row pretty quickly, and thanks to our parking attendant, we remembered where to get out.

Soon we were on our way to the next destination!

I still needed coffee, so we walked toward Mexico and I grabbed some from Joffrey's. I just got cold brew with a shot of hazelnut. I normally don't get anything sweet in my coffee, but the last time I got Joffrey's cold brew, it was nasty. The flavor in it was super good. Unfortunately when it tastes like dessert, I drink it super fast :hilarious:

We went in the pyramid in Mexico and hopped on the Donald boat ride. I seriously don't know the name of it. Three Caballeros?

It's such a beautiful ride!

I love all the Day of the Dead displays in Mexico. Unless I completely missed something in the movie, these figures are not from Coco, they're just for Day of the Dead, which is very much a part of the culture in Mexico, so it fits perfectly. I didn't take time to look at the rest of the stuff, but I hope to soon. I thought Coco was amazingly done, and from what I have read, they did a great job representing the culture, which is RARE in films. It also left me a complete mess. I couldn't even speak after the movie...if I tried, I just started sobbing. :cautious:

Anyway, we continued on and I decided I wanted more popcorn, so I stopped. L went down to France for a treat. The line was SO LONG. I wish I didn't have to stand that long line just for popcorn, since it's not in the case.

So pretty! I want to go to Germany so badly someday.

Up next: More F.Arts!

krisri18

After our snacks, we headed to Tower of Terror to use our next FP.

They must have changed the lighting because I am super hot, but everyone else is in normal light. :bored: This was fun as usual! L was using both handrests, and the girl next to me was using hers, so I had nothing to hold on to. It made me frantic at first and I grabbed the hand of the girl next to me, but I calmed down :hilarious:

Grabbed a picture of the best bellhop around on the way out.

We considered doing standby for Toy Story but it was something like a 2 hour wait, so that was a no. I didn't end up going anywhere outside of Sunset/Hollywood Blvd, which has kind of become my MO.

We were already on the tram when I noticed how pretty the sky was, so I snapped a shot from my seat.

Then we noticed the woman getting on the tram a few rows up was the lady we talked to on the way in! So crazy. We moved up a few rows so we could chat with her on the ride back. We arrived back at our row pretty quickly, and thanks to our parking attendant, we remembered where to get out.

Soon we were on our way to the next destination!

I still needed coffee, so we walked toward Mexico and I grabbed some from Joffrey's. I just got cold brew with a shot of hazelnut. I normally don't get anything sweet in my coffee, but the last time I got Joffrey's cold brew, it was nasty. The flavor in it was super good. Unfortunately when it tastes like dessert, I drink it super fast :hilarious:

We went in the pyramid in Mexico and hopped on the Donald boat ride. I seriously don't know the name of it. Three Caballeros?

It's such a beautiful ride!

I love all the Day of the Dead displays in Mexico. Unless I completely missed something in the movie, these figures are not from Coco, they're just for Day of the Dead, which is very much a part of the culture in Mexico, so it fits perfectly. I didn't take time to look at the rest of the stuff, but I hope to soon. I thought Coco was amazingly done, and from what I have read, they did a great job representing the culture, which is RARE in films. It also left me a complete mess. I couldn't even speak after the movie...if I tried, I just started sobbing. :cautious:

Anyway, we continued on and I decided I wanted more popcorn, so I stopped. L went down to France for a treat. The line was SO LONG. I wish I didn't have to stand that long line just for popcorn, since it's not in the case.

So pretty! I want to go to Germany so badly someday.

Up next: More F.Arts!
Gran Fiesta Tour! Hope they don't change it again

prfctlyximprct

I’m in love with all your bags! Your Epcot backpack is awesome!!

The picture of you hugging Tiana makes me feel all ooey gooey inside. It looks so magical :)

And I’d love to visit Germany one day as well! Although I don’t think it’d be as light hearted as Epcot’s version. I took a couple history of the holocaust courses in college, and I want to bear witness to the actual camps. Sorry my reply took a turn towards sadness!

Still loving all your pictures, I know I tell you way too much!

And the story with L cracks me up! I’ve sent a few screenshots of conversations to the wrong people a few times. Stuff happens haha.. you handled that in the best way possible! kudos!!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I’m in love with all your bags! Your Epcot backpack is awesome!!

The picture of you hugging Tiana makes me feel all ooey gooey inside. It looks so magical :)

And I’d love to visit Germany one day as well! Although I don’t think it’d be as light hearted as Epcot’s version. I took a couple history of the holocaust courses in college, and I want to bear witness to the actual camps. Sorry my reply took a turn towards sadness!

Still loving all your pictures, I know I tell you way too much!

And the story with L cracks me up! I’ve sent a few screenshots of conversations to the wrong people a few times. Stuff happens haha.. you handled that in the best way possible! kudos!!
I get SOOOOO many compliments on that bag! It was the best $30 I ever spent :hilarious:. If I could find one like that with a side pocket for my phone, it'd be set for life!

I loved meeting Tiana. I am getting more comfortable meeting face characters.

I think if I go to Germany, I'll definitely visit the camps because I believe it's important. It'll be so hard though...I just can't wrap my head about that part of human history. The main reason I'd like to see Germany is the castles :inlove: My uncle lived there for a while, and I never got to visit, so I feel like I need to remedy that!

I am glad someone else got some entertainment out of that :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: I mean it seriously happens to everyone! Thankfully I've never texted someone ABOUT them, but I've definitely texted the wrong person many times, and sometimes it's been about something embarrassing :hilarious:

I *might* know somebody that lives 3 miles from GKTW that would possibly volunteer with you. ;)
If you're serious, I'm considering a weekend in late July or early August! Maybe one volunteer day, one park day.

Fantastic TR love your photos
Thanks so much for following along!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
As I was walking toward France to meet up with L, I decided to run in Mitsukoshi. Right as I was approaching, I noticed my coworker there with his young 'uns. They have 5 and the youngest was running around with no pants on :hilarious:. I chatted with him and the kids briefly. His wife was off trying to find some pants for their little one (she's 3, I believe). Apparently she peed, then peed again in her backup outfit, both times in Japan. So strange since she's been potty trained for a bit! But it was pretty funny.

Aaaanyway. I was surprised I ran into them! I've been at Disney now at the same time as three of my coworkers and run into all of them.

My coworker's son finished up making his purchase, so we parted ways. I think their daughter eventually got some new pants! ha!

I continued on and met L in France where we moved on toward UK.

I took this for my friend Annie, who made that tshirt (Butler & Company). I bought it for L for the trip because she LOVES Pooh bear.

Never did get to paint on a mural :cry:

As we were leaving, a lady was just starting one of these scarf things. It's called artistic marbling I think. We sat there and watched the whole thing! It was mesmerizing. Thankfully the lady making the scarf, didn't seem to mind an audience. I would have loved to do one, but they were quite expensive.

I didn't get a picture of the finished product because they soak it a little before packing it up. It looked beautiful though!

Didn't think I'd end up wearing my sandals, so my toes are looking GREAT :in pain:

There was a photopass opportunity behind Spaceship Earth, and it looked like something cool. The line was long though, so I suggested riding SE before doing it and maybe the line would do down. We rode and unfortunately our pictures didn't take. I also didn't take any photos! I just sat back and enjoyed it.

When we got out the line was still long-ish, but we hopped in anyway.

This light painting was so cool! They can do different patterns depending on how the cast member walks behind you. Very neat! Our second one wasn't so good because we weren't ready...

L had to hold her leg up like that for like 4 seconds :hilarious:

That was it for the night! L had a super early flight, so we didn't stay until the end of the night. I really wish I'd planned on exploring Festival of the Arts more during the day, but I know for next time!

Up next: Solo!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
OMG I almost forgot a hilarious story!!! Seriously, don't skip this.

When we got back to the room and were getting ready for bed, I was on my side of the room and heard L yelp. I look over and she's just hopping around hollering (not too loud, don't worry). All the sudden I see a HUGE MASSIVE GIANT ROACH on the sink! I used to work in a retail store where the back room was infested with roaches, but this roach was like double the size o_O She was too scared to kill it because it moved so fast when she stepped toward it. And I was not getting even an inch closer! I can't do it.

So what is there to do?!

Well...I opened the door and watched for someone to come by :hilarious:

I saw a family coming from the parking lot and I jogged out to them with my shoe in my hand. I think what I said was "look, I know this is so weird, but there is a huge roach in our room and we're both too scared to kill it. Would any of you possibly be willing to kill it?" I didn't want to assume the dad would do it, but he was the one that volunteered. He said if I had a shoe, he'd do it. They all walked over to our room and I stayed by the door while he went in to save us. I held the door open so his family could see that we weren't trying to murder him :hilarious: He had to swat at that thing like 5 times it was so fast! Even he thought it was abnormally huge.

It was the most ridiculous thing ever....I wish I had video of the whole ordeal. As he was leaving I gave him a Mickey pin for his kid. I think the kid was super little, but maybe he or she will enjoy it someday.

Now back to normal---

We went to sleep pretty quickly, and said our goodbyes. L had to leave at like 4am or something crazy, so I knew I wouldn't be waking up to see her off. I vaguely remember hearing the door close, but I didn't really wake up.

L took the car back, so I knew I'd have to store my luggage. I got things arranged in my bag to take to bell services. I didn't want my new Dooney & Bourke to get messed up, so I made room for it in my Donald suitcase (there was plenty of room...that suitcase is huge).

I hopped a bus to MK! Where else would I go?!

I'd originally planned to go to AK and ride Flight of Passage again, but the day before I decided I just had to go to MK so I dropped by FoP fast pass.

It was kind of rainy, but I was hoping it wouldn't continue. The forecast had it being over by this morning.

Hello beautiful!

I wanted to linger on Main Street and see the Trolley Show, so I looked around the Emporium and talked to one of the citizens of Main Street. I was a little shy to approach them.

I'm not a huge Minnie fan, but I thought all the rock the dots stuff was cute.

2018-01-23 09.14.18.jpg

I look so tired. Last day droopy eyes!

Caught a tiny bit of the Dapper Dans. It was an awkward spot for them. I didn't want to stand in the middle of the street, so I just stood off to the side.

Eventually I heard the music for the Trolley Show, so I went over to watch. I was struggling with my camera (still getting used to it) but I got some decent shots. I've done two weddings with it now, so I'm getting a little better. It's hard to change systems!

As usual, I took way too many! :joyfull: That last one is my fav.

Up next: Will I finally see the Paul Revere show?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom