Trip Report Volunteering by Day, Park Hopping by Night! - January 2018 **COMPLETED**

Hi, forum friends! I have been back home for about a week :cry:. Finally got my photos edited, and both @Doc Disney and @prfctlyximprct are ahead of me, so I better get started.

Here's a breakdown of the trip...

Who? Me and my friend L, who was with me on my friends trip two years ago.
Where? All-Star Movies. We spent no time at the resort, so I don't regret this, but...well you'll see.
When? January 19-23
Why? To volunteer at Give Kids the World. We did two shifts in the morning, and headed to the parks early afternoon.

Here we are

Ok, so I'll get us started in the next post. Here we gooooooooo......

Kiwiduck

This is the only reason why I keep a phone book around. Good for smashing bugs.
I could have used a phone book the night that I decided to try and kill a large moth with my iPad, it slipped out of my hand and ended up lodged in my wall leaving a large hole in the wall and a chip in my iPad!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
At the moment I have a solo trip to DLP planned in September because some friends are on the fence about running the half. After reading the end of your trip report I'm not sure I want them to come along because it looks really fun to be able to just do whatever without having to consult with others :angelic:

smile

your takes, little side stories, the volunteering was sweet, and meet-ups are always :happy: - great stuff, @sheriffwoody

allow me to draw special attention to your camera work, however; a good camera, such as yours, makes taking bad pictures almost difficult, but your obvious skill shines through - some of those shots are just totally :eek: ... bravo

glad you and L had a good time, thanks for sharing!

blreinsel

Also, I think that just confirmed I could never move to Florida :hungover::hungover::hungover::hungover::hungover::hungover:

Those nasty things get in my house. :mad: I freaking hate them so much. And I will NOT kill them (or any bug for that matter). There was one on my window blinds one night when Dylan was still at work so I had to avoid the area until he got home. :hilarious: I don't understand how they even get in.

I didn't upload the weird one, but she told me to look serious and I just looked like I was mad and judging her very harshly :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

This is why I hate taking serious pictures... I have the same problem. :hilarious:

I remember someone mentioning the Space Mountain ball pit at some point, but I never noticed it.
I assume it's on the other side too, but I could be wrong!

That was yours truly. ;) And they are on the other side! They're actually under most of the walkway area as you enter the queue!

I didn't like talking Mickey very much.

Same. I think he's super awkward. I read somewhere that they were doing away with him and just making him a "normal" Mickey again, which I hope is actually true.

I love your Buzz M&G! :joyfull: Another great TR... Can't wait for your next trip!!!

LisaBelle

Loved your report. Your solo trip to MK looked amazing! Love those waffle sandwiches from Sleepy Hollow! Yum!!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Especially GKTW! Looking forward to your next trip and report.

Songbird76

We headed straight to Hollywood Studios and parked in the Donald section. The parking attendant was so fun. He kept chanting our section and row number to make us remember it :hilarious: It didn't work for me, but it helped L remember. We sat across from a lady on the tram and chatted with her on the way to the park entrance. She was very nice, and I can't remember what all we talked about, but she lived nearby.

We had a FP for Rock N Roller coaster, so we headed there first.

So earlier in the day, I had messaged thelostbros on Instagram. I'm not friends with them or anything, but I happened to hear their cover of "Under the Sea" in the character meeting area at Give Kids the World, and I thought they might like that. So I'm standing in the bay to get on the ride next and L said something to the lady next to her so I turned around and there was Cody from The Lost Bros! What are the chances?!

I just exclaimed "Oh hey! Lost bros!" :facepalm: I'm sure that wasn't weird at all. I tried to quickly tell him I followed them and that I'd just messaged them earlier. He had seen it and said he was so excited to hear that! Anyway, we didn't have long to chat before it was time to get on the ride.

That's Cody behind L.

When we got off the ride, Cody and I picked back up talking. I was dizzy as I always am after that ride. When we got outside we took a quick picture and he did a little video on his instagram story about their song being played at Give Kids the World. They are supporters of the village too. They've done a shirt that benefited GKTW before.

View attachment 264628

Wish I looked like more of a goober... :rolleyes:

Cody's friend Desi (dunno how to spell it, but I like this spelling) was there, and the four of us chatted for a bit. Turns out Desi went to college at one of our rival schools, but he transferred, so it's all good :hilarious: We walked around a little and actually got to meet some of the characters from Fantasmic.

After that we all headed back down Sunset Blvd. I didn't want them to feel like they had to keep hanging out with us. Cody's such a nice guy, I figured he might not have an exit strategy :hilarious: I saw the march of the order thingy starting, so L and I headed over to watch that and said our goodbyes to Cody and Desi.

After they came through, we did a little shopping on Hollywood blvd. I was going to get coffee but the line was STUPID long. After a bit, we decided to get a snack, and I proposed trying the Hollywood Brown Derby Loung. I'll admit, I was in a great mood after running into Cody. It's not *quite* like meeting a celebrity....but kind of almost. I spend a lot of time on Instagram :hilarious:

We ordered some small things at the lounge. I think L got an orange soda, and I got this beauty...

Terrapin Hopsocutioner

Cochinita Pibil Steamed Buns - Green Tomatillo, Habanero Sauce, and Pickled Onions

These were GOOOOOOOOOOOD. Like, super good. But also super expensive. My bill was embarrassingly high from this, but it was a nice relaxing break for us. Also, despite enjoying it, I am kicking myself for not trying Baseline! I completely forgot about it.

Up next: Finishing out HS
I have no idea who the Lost Bros are, but that's cool that you got to meet a kind of celebrity. And I have to say, it's also really sweet of you to think about him maybe not having an exit strategy and not wanting to make it weird for him. I'm always super consious of that because I have sort of social anxiety...I am always afraid people won't like me and that they will be too polite to say anything and especially with DS....he's a chatterer and with his Autism, he doesn't see the cues that people aren't interested in his latest Roblox game, or his chess strategies. Kudos to you for thinking of that. I love your character pics from before your shift! Is Give Kids the World actually run by Disney? Are the characters there from the Disney Parks? Or do they hire their own? I ask because you mentioned how great Mary Poppins was and I know the Disney characters get LOTS of training in staying in character, down to hand gestures and facial expressions, and even signatures so they are all the same...I wondered if the ones at Give Kids the World are the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom