Volcano Bay

rob0519

I'm a person with mobility issues and i just don't see the problem. We can't expect for everything to be within a few steps that is just impossible. Its not like people are forced to walk for an hour to get somewhere i think most people expect that they will be doing plenty of walking if planning a trip to an amusement park

I'm sorry about your issues. My point was that it's over a mile from the monorail to France, not some 3 minute walk. We have a special needs adult son who has both physical and mental disabilities. I said it was a long and difficult walk. Show me where I said I expected everything to be within a few steps. After over two dozen trips to WDW we are fully aware of how much walking is involved.

Tom Morrow

Hahaha... This park is awesome.
Not sure what my favorite thematic parts are yet.
In this order:
1..The roads and highway vistas that can be viewed from most rides thoughout the park
2.. the amazing box like hotel structures that can be viewed from most ground level areas
3.. my personal favorite are the steel beams that can be viewed from the back of the open volcano...
4... also the road and highway noise is also a special added touch.

Dial it back a back a bit. This is closer to a hurricane harbor than it is Pandora...that's not even up for debate. Best water park in Orlando...jury is still out... let's wait and see.

Now that perspective is back to this discussion I will say this is a fantastic water park, not a theme park but a water park.
I was very vocal about this stuff too, even earlier in this thread, but these videos have exceeded my expectations. I haven't actually been in the park, but it seems pretty clear that total immersion was not the goal in any way but rather to make it big, flashy, and in your face.

Pandora is absolutely more immersive, beautiful, and stunning, but having been inside Pandora myself, this is probably a lot more fun.

Eckert

They have heaters and chillers to maintain the temperature
The way it works I believe is that they make sure that the water temperature and the actual temperature combined never exceed 120. So 60 degrees outside and 60 degrees in the water, 90 degrees outside and 30 in the water etc.

Quinnmac000

the tiki sings

https://twitter.com/insideuniversal/status/867693084427132928
DAq3cVhXcAAbkdr.jpg

Last edited:

seascape

VB looks great but I have a major problem with the charging on the band. why did universal set it up so that only one pin is used for everyone in your group. That is based on the video shown this morning on the grand opening video. This is completely wrong and based on it there is nothing that would prevent someone in your group from spending lots of money, ie children, spending money on things you dont want them to buy.

Quinnmac000

VB looks great but I have a major problem with the charging on the band. why did universal set it up so that only one pin is used for everyone in your group. That is based on the video shown this morning on the grand opening video. This is completely wrong and based on it there is nothing that would prevent someone in your group from spending lots of money, ie children, spending money on things you dont want them to buy.

Ummm don't know where you got that info but when you attach your bands you can put limits on how much each band can charge. They have been mentioning this since day one.

seascape

Ummm don't know where you got that info but when you attach your bands you can put limits on how much each band can charge. They have been mentioning this since day one.
They never mentioned that on the grand opening video. As long a you can limit charging on each band then its okay. They should have said that.

Disneyhead'71

I agree with some of your points!
This will be a fantastic park. I don't have energy or time to debate you on every little point because we all have our own opinions and they work for our own situation.
The best water park or not will depend on who you ask? Most teenagers would probably agree with you. Families with little ones would most likely debate you.
For example, I'm going in July and wife wants to go to Typhoon lagoon because of the chill atmosphere and family oriented rides...

Volcano Bay continues the Universal tradition of targeting a more teenage demographic and Disney does their own targeting of families with little ones.

BTW---I never said this park was a Hurricane Harbor, I just debated from an aesthetic point of view that it had more in common with HH than Pandora. Check out the water coaster video which looks insanely fun but it is not themed at all. That's all I'm saying.

Once again this place looks awesome and hope I get a chance to go.
With the plethora of cabanas, premium seating, more upscale dining, hand crafted cocktails and craft brews I'm not sure the desired demo is teenagers nor thrill seekers.

I'm not really seeing how this park is significantly more thrill oriented than the Disney water parks. I mean, didn't Summit Plummet hold the US record for tallest vertical drop slide until this morning? So Disney has drop slides, and an aquacoaster. Other than the mini tornados, the wave wall, and the rapids river (which are minor thrills) there is really nothing here more thrilling than the Disney water parks. What seems to be the actual difference seems to be the exact opposite. This place seems to be a place for lots of chillaxing in cabanas, wave pools, rivers, and bars while waiting for your time for a quick thrill.

clemmo

One of my favorite things is a relaxing, well themed lazy river. Typhoon Lagoons really is gorgeous, lush, and it looks like it's been carved into the earth.

Volcano Bay's river gives me high wall, pool-tile realness chic.

Unimpressed

Was just about to say this. Also the life jackets seem a little overboard and annoying but I guess you can never be too safe. This river seems to be one of the disappointments though. Definitely could've used more time and soft openings to work out some of the kinks. Imo parts of the park are themed extremely well and others really seem to suffer from being landlocked/close to I-4. Trying not to judge too much as watching a video is one thing but being there in person is a whole new experience.

Tom Morrow

One of my favorite things is a relaxing, well themed lazy river. Typhoon Lagoons really is gorgeous, lush, and it looks like it's been carved into the earth.

Unimpressed

Yeah, this does look pretty cheap. Stuff like this is why I keep going back and forth between "it looks like a pretty great park" to "there were some clear shortcuts taken." You can argue that the Waturi people built the water slides or whatever but the river should look natural, like the wave pool/lagoon.

A while back in the thread I was arguing that Typhoon Lagoon was way more themed than Volcano Bay, but I hadn't been there in a while. I went a few weeks ago. In all honesty, there aren't that many props or theming at Typhoon Lagoon, but it does a great job of looking real and natural. It's perhaps the most natural looking water park in existence.

CTXRover

Unimpressed

Recognizing videos and pictures can never give the full impression of a park, I am becoming less impressed with the theming of this park as more is shown. It has the big "money shots" with the volcano from the front, but the small details elsewhere are lacking. There appears to be minimal theming in the rest of the park. Nice set decoration pieces, but minimal themeing elsewhere. As with Typhoon, time is needed for the plants to mature and create a more lush environment which will make this more inviting with time. However, as of today, this river ride looks awful and uninspired. Media reports from yesterday indicated themeing was on par with Pandora or WWOHP.....really?

Is there critical theme elements missing or cut from the volcano portion? Since the other lazy river doesn't enter the volcano at all, what happened to this concept? Is there theme elements still to come?

EDIT/CORRECTION: The other river does go into a cave. The below image is for the lazy river that is not yet open.

-resources-digitalassets-Universal_s+Volcano+Bay+-+Stargazer_s+Cavern.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom