1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Volcano Bay

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Mike C, May 28, 2015.

1. Absimilliard

Absimilliard Well-Known Member

No such restrictions exist as there are already non Proslide attractions inside the park. For example, the "Fearless River" is from this company from Scotland: http://www.murphyswaves.com/ .

A flowrider attraction? Bad idea for Volcano Bay in my opinion. Capacity is quite bad and the Gaylord Palms resort expansion to their pool area include a double flowrider. Universal would better utilize their limited land for more efficient attractions.

andysol likes this.
  2. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

That sounds fun. I'm on vacation. Let's wake up at 6AM or earlier to be on a 7AM bus to be on waterslides at 8AM. No thank you. It's vacation. If I want to wake up at that ungodly hour, I'll just stay in my own city and go to work as usual.

becca_, dreamscometrue and Sir_Cliff like this.
  3. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

Well it's not ideal for everybody as your response proves. Just thought I'd post it so anyone going who doesn't mind getting up early can get the most from their visit. Personally when we're in Orlando we do get up between 6am and 7am so we're at the parks for opening but it's understandably not everyone's first choice to follow suit.

Furiated, andysol, trr1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

This is hardly the only park where the early bird gets the worm. But sometimes I see the way people rush around the parks, and the way they share their commando plans in places like this, and I wonder why they even come here. If it's a relaxing vacation you're looking for, surely you can do better than theme parks.

andysol likes this.
  5. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Universal rushed the park to open early to compete with the grand opening of Pandora while continuing to massively over-hype and market a "Third Theme Park" to the general public. This backfired for Universal and this is where we are now.

I feel awful for anyone uninformed who got swept up into the constant marketing of Volcano bay, they sure must of had an awful time.

There i said it!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

How is this any different than declaring Disney a failure because you want to show up at the MK at 1pm on the 4th of July and then get you panties in a bunch because there are long lines at all the popular attractions?

Showing up around noon to ANY park in Orlando that is at capacity is NOT the best strategy to commando all the "Es" before the 3pm storms set in. Just sayin'.

7. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

Woah. Put words in mouths much? I didn't declare anything a failure. For declarations like that (and not from me), please refer to the bulk of the reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor.

Theme parks are my vacation of choice and all I was saying is that waking up before the crack of dawn to be on water slides at 8AM is not my idea of a good time. If it is for you, have a ball. Different strokes.

And PS, I wouldn't be caught dead at Disney on the Fourth of July.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  8. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you used bold, red font and underlining, otherwise I might have missed you sharing this incredibly original and thought provoking notion that no one has ever shared before, which would have been truly regrettable. Welcome to the thread btw.

9. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Thank you darling!

p.s. Your post also matches my Avatar pic :happy:

10. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Because it applies to every day with Volcano Bay and not just one of ~three days out of the year where the other parks reach capacity.

sunsetblvd26 and dreamscometrue like this.
  11. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Everyday so far. But the park did Grand Open on Memorial Day Weekend at the beginning of the high season.

It is not uncommon for Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon to reach capacity during the high season and they aren't brand new parks. So it can happen at Disney every Summer for 23 years straight, no problem. But it happens at Universal for a month after Grand Opening and it's a disaster.

I'm not excusing the opening cluster (it was bad), but most of that has been sorted, and now we are just mostly seeing a popular new park.

12. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis Well-Known Member

That's a bad comparison because that puts all parks on an equal footing based on demand. And you know that.

13. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

A quick question, are tickets bought in advance for specific dates open ended? Somebody here claiming they bought tickets for a specific date but weren't let in on that date as the park was at capacity when they arrived, surely can't be true? Not the first time I've seen this claimed.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  14. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

Based on general guest surveys it's certainly not fully sorted.

There is a dichotomy between on site guests with early access though, who really seem to get a good chance to enjoy the park to the fullest. But the volume of the general public still complaining is quite substantial and not something higher ups are exactly happy with. The complaints are always the loudest... but there are still more than a few of them.

dreamscometrue likes this.
  15. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

Expensive and a very low rider count per hour. Expensive to build and to run. If the picture you have there is two sided your talking 3 million in water pumps, that need maintenance and electric. Two sided means basically two people till they fall. Per hour is very small even if many people get on and are ejected within a few seconds. Next problem is those rip off women's bathing suit tops and guys swim trunks left and right. You have to have shirt for the ladies in bikinis to wear so it doesn't turn into a strip club.

Also the way those are run is usually everyone gets a boogie board and surf boards cost extra.

16. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be that way. the parks should build more capacity to handle the crowds if they are constant.

Some of the people on here seem to like to be abused.

17. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

Wouldn't matter...BUT Proslide now also offers their own version of this called the Proslide SURF. It's practically the same thing.

Disneyhead'71 likes this.
  18. Absimilliard

Absimilliard Well-Known Member

Alas, Proslide SURF is not available in the United States as Proslide in that case is a partner for another company overseas. They had to get such an agreement as some clients in Asia want to "sole source" their whole waterpark and offering wave pools, lazy rivers and a surf experience is part of the deal to get in those large contracts.

Vekoma also has a similar agreement with Brogent Technologies (their i-Ride flying theater attraction is presented as the Panoramic Flight Simulator on the Vekoma website) and Rocky Mountain Construction (maker of the Hybrid wooden coasters). Both can still sell their products directly to clients , but the agreements with Vekoma help them with product marketing and support around the world. When RMC sold a wooden roller coaster to a zoo in Sweden, the zoo specified they wanted Vekoma to supervise installation and use Vekoma sourced components for the ride controls and what not.

flynnibus likes this.
  19. Sir_Cliff

Sir_Cliff Well-Known Member

Thank god I'm not the only one who feels this way!

I also obviously love a theme park vacation, but the idea of getting up at the crack of dawn to race around hit all the major attractions is not my idea of fun, whatever the park. I'd rather miss out on things than come back home more exhausted than if I had of just stayed home and worked. As long as you don't go at crazy busy times, I still think it's possible to enjoy the parks (with the possible exception of VB) without killing yourself.

BuddyThomas likes this.
  20. Jimmy Thick

Jimmy Thick Well-Known Member

There is a Flowrider at the Kalahari Resort in the Wisconsin Dells. They look daunting but are fantastic, if a large guy like myself can learn to "surf" on these anyone can.

As for people's clothes getting ripped off I've yet to see that at anytime I've ridden it. Mostly people fall off their board and roll to the back.

Don't really know if a Flowrider is needed in VB, I would rather have an original attraction personally.

andysol likes this.