Volcano Bay

lazyboy97o

Yes then let me complain that I can see the parking lot from Tower of Terror, such horrible theming, Disney should tear it down as its really ruins the immersion aspect. Oh wait don't get me started on Expedition Everest, I'm suppose to be in the himalyas yet I can see Epcot and the Dolphin and Swan such bad theming. Disney can do so much better. So disappointed, never going to Disney again.

Its a theme park, if you want full theming go to Bali, Thailand, etc.
Seeing something in the distance is in no way similar to being 25' away with only a fifth of that as landscape buffer.

andysol

Ah lovely video but it doesn't show the part where there is a giant highway on the boarders of the park. Close enough in fact I can throw debris from my car window to one of the slides.
Seeing something in the distance is in no way similar to being 25' away with only a fifth of that as landscape buffer.

What would you like them to do?

Universals Resort in Florida is not Disneyworld. Period. When you go there it isn't the full "escape" you feel at WDW- and it never has been. Because well, you know, they are 840 acres instead of 25,000. There are areas where you feel fully immersed, but never the resort as a whole.

It's similar to Disneylands scope at 510 acres. So go look at their concept art there and go complain about not seeing trucks either.

While we're at it, why don't we ever see backstage buildings in concept art for any resort ever? They're there. Why do they block them out?

Yes, there's a highway. Next?

Why aren't we commending them for taking such a small space and making the most they can out of it. Their aerial map is the most impressive theme park resort I've ever seen in terms of efficient use of space.
In the meantime, we're dropping sharks reef to add a water coaster when there are a hundred acres available to expand on around TL. And even with the new coaster, VB will have 40% more slides. But hey- there's no highway next to it, so that's ok.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

What would you like them to do?

Universals Resort in Florida is not Disneyworld. Period. When you go there it isn't the full "escape" you feel at WDW- and it never has been. Because well, you know, they are 840 acres instead of 25,000. There are areas where you feel fully immersed, but never the resort as a whole.

It's similar to Disneylands scope at 510 acres. So go look at their concept art there and go complain about not seeing trucks either.

While we're at it, why don't we ever see backstage buildings in concept art for any resort ever? They're there. Why do they block them out?

Yes, there's a highway. Next?

Why aren't we commending them for taking such a small space and making the most they can out of it. Their aerial map is the most impressive theme park resort I've ever seen in terms of efficient use of space.
In the meantime, we're dropping sharks reef to add a water coaster when there are a hundred acres available to expand on around TL. And even with the new coaster, VB will have 40% more slides. But hey- there's no highway next to it, so that's ok.
This has nothing to do with Walt Disney World. The idea that Universal is unconcerned with sight lines is just bullocks as the overall most impressive efforts to control them in Central Florida are in Universal Studios Florida. The highway isn't just nearby, it is less than 10 yards away with a tiny little landscape buffer. In all likelihood it will not only be seen, but also heard.

Mike S

This has nothing to do with Walt Disney World. The idea that Universal is unconcerned with sight lines is just bullocks as the overall most impressive efforts to control them in Central Florida are in Universal Studios Florida. The highway isn't just nearby, it is less than 10 yards away with a tiny little landscape buffer. In all likelihood it will not only be seen, but also heard.
Point me to the other spot on their current property that's more protected and suited for a water park of this size that they could've chosen instead.

Disneyhead'71

Yes, we all get that Universal is urban land locked. And I don't really think that it's accurate to say that Universal doesn't care about sight lines. But there will be some views from the load platforms that are less than optimal. I don't believe that it will ruin anyone's day.

BubbaQuest

Ah lovely video but it doesn't show the part where there is a giant highway on the boarders of the park. Close enough in fact I can throw debris from my car window to one of the slides.

I think that's kind of the point.

Driving by on the freeway..."Mommy, look at all the pretty colors. Are we at WDW?" "No, honey, close your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist."

lazyboy97o

Point me to the other spot on their current property that's more protected and suited for a water park of this size that they could've chosen instead.
Let me re-quote the first thing I said.
It is a design problem for which there is plenty of freedom. They're not dealing with zoning requirements to building up to certain lot lines.

Yes, we all get that Universal is urban land locked. And I don't really think that it's accurate to say that Universal doesn't care about sight lines. But there will be some views from the load platforms that are less than optimal. I don't believe that it will ruin anyone's day.
Really? You're going with the trite "ruin a day" line?

Sped2424

I don't really foresee a problem unless trailer trucks Jake Break through that area. Which isn't very likely
Before I get roasted I was being silly but if we are being real guys it is....well bad lol
upload_2017-2-1_13-34-4.png

Top left corner that slide is right next to the exit that drops you off on I drive. I don't think it will take a trucker for someone to try and mess with that proximity. AM I saying this kills the park no, but it is a real issue and to ignore it would be silly imo.

lazyboy97o

I don't understand what you think is going to happen? The worst I foresee is some freak accident- but I dont see it ever (ever) hitting a slide or footer. You realize something would have to fly at least 40 feet in the air (after hitting a guardrail). The only place you would see something like that ever happen is over at the Fast and the Furious ride.
Not at least 40'. In plan, the closest point is 25' away.

Sped2424

I don't understand what you think is going to happen? The worst I foresee is some freak accident- but I dont see it ever (ever) hitting a slide or footer. You realize something would have to fly at least 40 feet in the air (after hitting a guardrail). The only place you would see something like that ever happen is over at the Fast and the Furious ride.

So the more likely scenario is someone trying to throw a quarter as hard as they can- and maybe. maybe they can hit the slide if they have the arm strength of Steve McNair and the accuracy of Troy Aikman. And if they can do all that through a car window and sitting down while a rider is in that exact spot in the enclosed slide- then what... the rider hears the faintest *clink* while he is riding? And likely, he wouldnt even hear that.

Is it unsightly? Sure. Is it unsafe? Far from it.
I was using the debris thing as joke but it is possible certainly. Also given that I live here I have driven on that exit MANY TIMES and when I tell you I can toss my coke and fries and hit the slide I mean it. The other day driving on it I thought if I didn't make the turn and went for I would impact the slide. The distance is not that wide my dude but again that was a joke to exasperate the point that this thing is literally adjacent to a huge highway exit. So much so it could considered part of the experience getting to see the volcano erupt from there during traffic hour is going to be a delight. But seriously as a sightline it's awful imo I don't understand why this is free from criticism. I think the park is going to fantastic, doesn't fix the terrible and I mean TERRIBLE sightlines.

erikjp

Before I get roasted I was being silly but if we are being real guys it is....well bad lol View attachment 187289
Top left corner that slide is right next to the exit that drops you off on I drive. I don't think it will take a trucker for someone to try and mess with that proximity. AM I saying this kills the park no, but it is a real issue and to ignore it would be silly imo.

If I remember correctly, a barrier wall is going to be constructed between the highway and Volcano Bay, although I could be wrong. With a barrier wall, the noise from the water and music and such I highly doubt people will notice the highway unless you are on top of the mountain or at those slides on the top left.

lazyboy97o

Let me re-quote my re-quote while re-quoting my original unanswered quote
You not liking an answer does not make it unanswered. The site design is just that, a design. Armchair Imagineering still makes it a design issue.

To me it's just a necessary evil due to location. The only way to fix it would be if they waited even longer and put Volcano Bay in Site B.
Its not necessary. Universal has and does control a larger plot of land that has actively been filled with other uses (new hotels) all while a new water park was in development.

Disneyhead'71

You not liking an answer does not make it unanswered. The site design is just that, a design. Armchair Imagineering still makes it a design issue.

Its not necessary. Universal has and does control a larger plot of land that has actively been filled with other uses (new hotels) all while a new water park was in development.
And now, Universal is going to have a state of the art water park within walking distance of their 3 largest resorts and their new value resort. All within walking distance of CityWalk and 2 world class theme parks.

I personally think what they have done with their land usage is quite amazing. Cabana Bay and Sappire Falls turned out quite well. I expect Volcano Bay will as well.

lazyboy97o

I'm hearing a whole bunch of complaints and no solutions. So what you're saying is- they should have done better. You're not sure how they could have done better... but you're just sure they could have. Ok. Thanks for the great discussion.
What you are asking for is an Armchair Imagineering of a completely different site plan.

And now, Universal is going to have a state of the art water park within walking distance of their 3 largest resorts and their new value resort. All within walking distance of CityWalk and 2 world class theme parks.

I personally think what they have done with their land usage is quite amazing. Cabana Bay and Sappire Falls turned out quite well. I expect Volcano Bay will as well.
And that's all great. It still doesn't make the proximity of Volcano Bay to I-4 go away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom