Virgin Megastore

uklad79

Original Poster
It looks like this will be closed by the end of January along with the remaining few stores in the USA. This leaves a huge store along with most of PI still empty. I would think Disney would struggle to get a tenant for such a large unit so may use it for something themselves or split it. Any ideas or rumors of what will happen with it?

TheDisneyMagic

It is a shame this could be closing, the UK version (now known as Zavvi after a management buy out) has just gone in to Administration.

THertel88

Possibly another electronics store. Bear with me since I really dont know whether some stores can be placed on WDW due to permits/contracts. But I can see a Best Buy, or an electronics store like that. Or if they want to stay in the MSRP overpriced section, FYE

CTXRover

That's really a very big piece of real estate to leave empty. ESPN Zone sounds like a logical choice, but I imagine even that would be a stretch to fill that amount of space. I hope they have something in line to fill it though if this is true.

I was wondering though if there has been any confirmation that the DTD store is closing in January? Given the way Virgin megastores have been closing, I imagine it is only a matter of time until DTD's is closed as well, but according to this article dated December 17, 2008 regarding the closure of a store in CA, Virgin plans to close only 4 stores at the end of January including those in Anaheim, Dallas, Tempe and Ontario, California. The article states that it will leave 6 stores still open (at least as stated in the article). Looking at Virgin's website of remaining stores, that would leave behind Hollywood, San Francisco, Times Square and Union Sqaure in New York, Denver and Orlando's, at least in the forseeable future.

Thurp

I remember that Apple was one of the rumored future tenants according to this board, however, I have no idea if there is any truth to this rumor at all other than the Steve Jobs connection to Disney.

A gigantic Adventurers Club would be cool with me!

djkidkaz

Possibly another electronics store. Bear with me since I really dont know whether some stores can be placed on WDW due to permits/contracts. But I can see a Best Buy, or an electronics store like that. Or if they want to stay in the MSRP overpriced section, FYE

If Best Buy ever opens on Disney property, I will officially never return.

djkidkaz

They don't need any shops like an Apple store or anything. Who goes to WDW to buy an Apple computer, or sign up for new phone service with AT&T. The only reason Virgin worked somewhat was because it offered things you could use on the flight home, like a book to read or a music CD to listen too. I guess in an Apple store you could buy an ipod, but you wouldn't be able to load it with music or anything until you got home. :shrug:

I think DTD had it right years ago where they had entertainment in the streets. You could walk through there and just enjoy the stilt walkers, or the bands playing on the stages, or listen to the outdoor DJ, etc. And the New Years Eve every night thing was fun as well. Plus you had a little fireworks show to watch. The ambiance of the streets of Pleasure Island was what worked. I don't enjoy sitting in a club / bar watching people dance, but I did enjoy just seeing the entertainment on the streets.

I think the whole West Side needs new shops. A magnet store, a magic shop and the high prices of Hoy Poloi and the other place with a 10 zillion dollar Zoltar machine are fun once, but after that, it loses its appeal.

Testtrack321

They don't need any shops like an Apple store or anything. Who goes to WDW to buy an Apple computer, or sign up for new phone service with AT&T. The only reason Virgin worked somewhat was because it offered things you could use on the flight home, like a book to read or a music CD to listen too. I guess in an Apple store you could buy an ipod, but you wouldn't be able to load it with music or anything until you got home. :shrug:

I think DTD had it right years ago where they had entertainment in the streets. You could walk through there and just enjoy the stilt walkers, or the bands playing on the stages, or listen to the outdoor DJ, etc. And the New Years Eve every night thing was fun as well. Plus you had a little fireworks show to watch. The ambiance of the streets of Pleasure Island was what worked. I don't enjoy sitting in a club / bar watching people dance, but I did enjoy just seeing the entertainment on the streets.

I think the whole West Side needs new shops. A magnet store, a magic shop and the high prices of Hoy Poloi and the other place with a 10 zillion dollar Zoltar machine are fun once, but after that, it loses its appeal.

They didn't aim for DTD to be for out-of-towners really, but instead locals. If they have extra time, yeah sure Disney will push them there, but it's not the aim. Look at Rainforest Cafe for crying out loud, one in a park, another there. The WoD is there to allow locals to buy merchandise without heading into the parks. And many of the specialty stores replicate something inside the parks somewhere.

Disney tried to make this a destination place for locals, and even with PI's removal, it's still their goal. While I do not see an Apple Store moving into Virgin due to size, market, and placement, I can see something like a giant Toys-R-Us like in Times Square going in. Want to see the future of DTD? Look at CityWalk...

I shopped in there on my last trip and it was great cause they had TokiDoki stuff that I love.....but I do hope they open an Apple Store so I can transfer there! lol

Thelazer

My Bet.. another empty building.
To go along with the rest of DTD/PI is turning into.

Bring back the clubs, bring back the stages, bring back the live ent, re-gate the island, market it again...

Oh well.

grunter

The continuing slow, agonizing death of all forms of physical media makes me incredibly incensed. This is where Napster, file-sharing and the continued piracy associated with the MP3 format has brought us. Music shops in all their various forms are dying and taking the entire music industry with it.

I will never switch to downloads. Never, ever.

ewensell3

It looks like this will be closed by the end of January along with the remaining few stores in the USA. This leaves a huge store along with most of PI still empty. I would think Disney would struggle to get a tenant for such a large unit so may use it for something themselves or split it. Any ideas or rumors of what will happen with it?

Wal-Mart?

"World of Disney Annex"

Figment1986

If they close, I would not be surprised to see a ESPN zone, the one at Disneyland's Downtown Disney was Nice :sohappy: If not, then give me an Apple Store :lookaroun I could use a nice reason for going there now

If Best Buy ever opens on Disney property, I will officially never return.

What about a Circuit City or a Target:lookaroun

That will be a sad, sad, day for me.:(
If only Japan sold Region 1 DVDs of the shows we would like to watch, and the music we would like to hear :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom