News Villains Land Announced for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

bmr1591

I’m putting my bets on Yzma from Emperor’s New Groove as the star for the second attraction. Totally wrong, i am sure but I am sticking to my guns! Could make sense as she is more comically evil, as I recall. A more lighthearted counterpoint to the Maleficent ride and perhaps less scary for kids which always seems to be a big concern for Disney.

I’d personally love a trackless dark ride where the Villains are crafting a scheme and at one point, your vehicle locks in and Yzma gives the classic “Pull the lever, Kronk!” and you drop like in RotR.

BrianLo

I seriously can’t see them completing filling in the river, site prep, construction, etc in just 3 years when Tron took 5 years on previously unoccupied land.

But hopefully I’m wrong. Even the 20k leagues demotion and fill in took a year and a half IIRC. And the ROA is much larger.

I wouldn’t base anything on pandemic projects that were purposefully slow rolled. Pandora broke ground in Jan 2024 and opened Spring 2027.

3 ish years is quite serviceable for new builds and 18-24 months for overlays (mostly Dinosaur). They can and have gone faster than this, but this seems to be their ideal modern day build rates.

According to the site that shall not be named, media was told everything announced should open within the next 5 years (by 2030). Anyone else heard anything like that?

Yup! It was actually said to the general public after the villains segment closing out the panel. I think some of the streams people were watching must have cut off or didn’t hear him.

He basically ended with we are doing this committed to doing this all and it’s all opening within 5 years. Coco (DCA) and Villainsland I think being the latest of the lot.

Quietmouse

I hope they can find a way to make villains land approachable for young families. My kids love the villains, but I would hate for them to skip out on this whole land because they are too frightened.

basas

I hope they can find a way to make villains land approachable for young families. My kids love the villains, but I would hate for them to skip out on this whole land because they are too frightened.

Since they decided to put this in Magic Kingdom instead of Hollywood Studios, I would expect a pretty “PG” approach. Correct me if I’m wrong. Interesting that Universal is apparently pushing a bit more “PG-13” with their big Monsters e-ticket…

DCLcruiser

Not going back to re-read all these, so maybe this underwater portion to the coaster was already pointed out:

View attachment 808888
Since there are only "two major rides" (coaster and the chateau) I believe this is the same as the thorny Maleficent coaster. Hopefully the coaster takes you through different Villian lairs. So this under water area could be about Ursula, and it could go deeper for Hades.

Quietmouse

Since there are only "two major rides" (coaster and the chateau) I believe this is the same as the thorny Maleficent coaster. Hopefully the coaster takes you through different Villian lairs. So this under water area could be about Ursula, and it could go deeper for Hades.

It would be cool if they can make a reskinned 20k leagues under the sea ride, with a massive sail boat and underwater viewing section at the passenger level and have it be focused on Ursula.

doctornick

Since we have had a large discussion about space in the Cars thread, is the implication that this will entirely be within the RR berm? Seems like that is unnecessarily constraining. If nothing else, if they have a large scale dark ride, it would seem to me to make a lot of sense to have the show building for such a ride outside the berm even if the entrance is within it (think POTC for example).

Also, any chance that the RR gets a new stop in this area? It's far enough between the Frontierland and Fantasyland stations that it could make sense. and they could do some neat theming to such a station.

DCLcruiser

Since we have had a large discussion about space in the Cars thread, is the implication that this will entirely be within the RR berm? Seems like that is unnecessarily constraining. If nothing else, if they have a large scale dark ride, it would seem to me to make a lot of sense to have the show building for such a ride outside the berm even if the entrance is within it (think POTC for example).

Also, any chance that the RR gets a new stop in this area? It's far enough between the Frontierland and Fantasyland stations that it could make sense. and they could do some neat theming to such a station.
I would assume a spooky stop will be included.

ERED

I agree the tech should be used where not in use currently which is why Lion King works because there is no Splash Mountain in Paris. Just feels like the new interns can't create like the old pros that were forced out. That is all I'm saying.
I guess I don't see the problem with them using good ideas even though it didn't just hit them moments before the announcement. The company is meant to play the long game without end in sight; that means they can save things in reserve for better times to break them out. Seems like a good use of resources 🤷‍♂️

Mireille

Premium Member
If Prince John does not appear somewhere in Villain's Land, I am suing the Disney board and the imagineers for illegally conspiring to take away my ability to be happy and amused!

Yellow Strap

I wouldn’t base anything on pandemic projects that were purposefully slow rolled. Pandora broke ground in Jan 2024 and opened Spring 2027.

3 ish years is quite serviceable for new builds and 18-24 months for overlays (mostly Dinosaur). They can and have gone faster than this, but this seems to be their ideal modern day build rates.

Yup! It was actually said to the general public after the villains segment closing out the panel. I think some of the streams people were watching must have cut off or didn’t hear him.

He basically ended with we are doing this committed to doing this all and it’s all opening within 5 years. Coco (DCA) and Villainsland I think being the latest of the lot.
This being a 10 year, $60 billion investment...I wonder what we will get in the next 5 years.

wdwgreek

For the second ride, I'd love a ride ala Storybook Land Canal Boats or Voyage to the Crystal Grotto through the different villains lairs. The second ride IMO needs to not have a height restriction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom