News Villains Land Announced for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

ctrlaltdel

The biggest worry is that I can't really think of a land where Disney absolutely nailed two massive opening attractions recently (maybe other than Fantasy Springs, but I'm not sure what the reaction is there). While I like them both, Smuggler's Run and Navi River Journey are undoubtedly disappointing compared to what they could've been/hoped for. I'm assuming this will be like Galaxy's Edge where the intention is that the 2 attractions are massive E-tickets.

Mike S

How much should we read into the announcement video for the villains land for which villains will be featured?

In the video we have:
1. The Evil Queen
2. Maleficent (duh)
3. Ursula
4. Scar
5. Jafar
6. The Horned King (was surprised they not only showed him, but showed him TWICE!)
7. Dr. Facillier
8. Yzma
9. Hades
10. Madame Mimm
11. Lady Tremaine
12. Gaston
13. Chernabog
14. Captain Hook
15. Mother Gothel
16. King Magnifico
17. The Queen Of Hearts
18. Kaa
19. Cruella DeVil.

It's possible these clips were randomly chosen, but maybe it's an indicator of what villains will and won't be featured? I don't mind the absence of Frollo as his entire schtick is that he doesn't believe he's evil (and Catholic guilt, genocide and sexual frustration isn't really anyone's idea of theme park fun), and villains like Ratcliffe, Yokai and Shan Yu were never really that popular to begin with. Was a bit surprised by the lack of Oogie Boogie or the Nightmare Before Christmas in general.

Magnifico isn’t popular either plus his movie bombed yet there he is. I would take Frollo over him any day of the week if this is actually an indication of which villains we’ll see.

Ghost93

Magnifico isn’t popular either plus his movie bombed yet there he is. I would take Frollo over him any day of the week if this is actually an indication of which villains we’ll see.
Frollo is my 2nd favorite Disney villain behind Maleficent, but I'm not sure he fits into the spooky/haunted/supernatural aspect they are aiming for in the concept art. Most of the villains in that promo villain are magic users.

Maybe if they go for a spiritual "Frollo has returned from hell" concept, he could maybe work.

Ghost93

I think Disney villains don't necessarily work well with others. It's hard for me to imagine putting Gaston, e.g., with Ursula, Maleficent, and Chernobog and having it make any sense whatsoever.

Gaston isn't the same kind of villain.
That's what I'm getting at with me thinking Frollo would be out of place in the land. I'm not denying that Frollo is a great villain, he's a phenomenal character! But he doesn't belong with Maleficent/Chernabog/Ursula/Evil Queen. He's a different type of evil. I always find it very jarring when he shows up in Fantasmic for that reason. Why would someone who burns what he believes are witches alive openly work with a team of sorcerers? Frollo's the type that would convince himself he's much better than the likes of Maleficent while committing equally evil actions.

I think they could maybe have nods to Frollo like having an instrumental version of the Hellfire song play in a loop somewhere in the land. But I just don't see him working with the other villains.

As for Gaston, I could see him working with someone like Clayton from Tarzan or McCleach from the Rescuers, or maybe even Cruella, but not people like Jafar or Ursula.

Consumer

The more I've thought about it, the more excited I am for this land. It's definitely the most traditional Disney idea in a long time and it seems to embrace those classic IPs that have been all but seemingly forgotten by the company. I really can't see this as anything but a win.
Magnifico also isn't a villain.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
This land didn’t get built twenty years ago when WDI had a stronger roster of talent that actually had experience designing and writing creepy attractions. They decided it wasn’t good enough to take to market. But, sure, it’s a better idea now in the hands of designers who have a shakier track record.
Interns that know how to use a copy machine. Everything they announced is a copy of something that WDI has in the archives...
  • New Hong Kong Spiderman ride is just Tower of Terror ride mechanics
  • Villians Land is a rumor 30 years old
  • Monster Inc Door Coaster is 20 years old
  • Avengers Campus ride is just Peter Pan ride in DisneySea which is Transformers tech
  • Flight Simulator is Innoventions Sum of all Thrills on a track
  • Lion King ride in Paris is just Splash Mountain
WDI does not create originals anymore. Just uses what the greats did before Chapel fired them all and re-skins them with new IP.

Ghost93

Interns that know how to use a copy machine. Everything they announced is a copy of something that WDI has in the archives...
  • Avengers Campus ride is just Peter Pan ride in DisneySea which is Transformers tech
WDI does not create originals anymore. Just uses what the greats did before Chapel fired them all and re-skins them with new IP.
Okay, but most Americans will never get to experience Tokyo's Peter Pan or Shanghai's Pirates, so I have no issue with the ride system for those being imported over here.

Timothy_Q

Pirates of the Caribbean is just its a small world
Spaceship Earth is just Haunted Mansion
Space Mountain is just Matterhorn

a ride is more than its ride system

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Okay, but most Americans will never get to experience Tokyo's Peter Pan or Shanghai's Pirates, so I have no issue with the ride system for those being imported over here.
I agree the tech should be used where not in use currently which is why Lion King works because there is no Splash Mountain in Paris. Just feels like the new interns can't create like the old pros that were forced out. That is all I'm saying.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Pirates of the Caribbean is just its a small world
Spaceship Earth is just Haunted Mansion
Space Mountain is just Matterhorn

a ride is more than its ride system
Gee. Is it really? Yes, I am aware of that thanks. It's about taking the tech and building on it not just re-skin and IP forced into it.

Small World was created for the World's Fair and one of the first uses of AAs
POTC was the first indoor boat ride with drops & AAs
Omnimovers used in completely different ways for SS & HM
Matterhorn was the first tubular steel coaster in the world
Space Mountain was the first coaster in the world inside a building

bmr1591

This feels pretty disingenuous.

docnabox

I’m putting my bets on Yzma from Emperor’s New Groove as the star for the second attraction. Totally wrong, i am sure but I am sticking to my guns! Could make sense as she is more comically evil, as I recall. A more lighthearted counterpoint to the Maleficent ride and perhaps less scary for kids which always seems to be a big concern for Disney.

ednamodedarling

Actually, won't it be kind of weird having a Gaston's Tavern but NOT having it in the villain land?
A Giant Ursula animatronic is in Fantasyland. So I don't think the tavern will be to much of an issue. I do think they may have purposefully left Dr Facillier out of TBA for the sake of keeping him in Villains Land? The only other Villain animatronics currently in the park are the old witch in 7DMT & Captain Hook in PPF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom