Victoria and Alberts July 30, 2010

durangojim

:lol:

Good...the way they presented the food is all pretty but the food itself did not sound yummy to me and did not look good..:eek::shrug:

I guess I am not an elk/cavier kinda girl...:D

Don't knock it until till you tried it:lol: As I often tell my 4 year old son "Try it, if you don't like it, you don't have to have any more."

durangojim

Granted I understood the money being put forth toward the experience as much as the food, but I thought the price was outrageous. New calculations being taken into account, I would certainly consider this restaurant as an upgrade to the $100 that we may has spent elsewhere.

It's all about what is important to the individual. There are many who wouldn't want to pay $80 for a day at WDW, and that's understandable. As far as really fine dining goes, I'd say V&A's is up there with the best of them. Our $300 meal at V&A was better than our $750 meal at a 5 star restaurant in Veags called Alex which is supposed to be one of the finest restaurants in the world.

KnK

Because of your trip report, I decided to surprise my husband with a visit on our upcoming September visit. Not doing the chefs table, just the dining room.

I'm giving up my spa treatment to supplement the cost, we would have been dining at CG that night.

He knows nothing about this and since I do the packing he won't notice the suit and shoes I'll be packing. He'll be golfing while I'm doing my 'spa thing,' hopefully he won't notice I didn't go. I plan on laying his suit out that evening while he is showering so he won't know until right before we leave.

I'm so excite about the meal, we've always wanted to try it. It my gift to my husband for our anniversary.

NeriBeri

brifraz,

Thank you so much for sharing your chef's table experience. It looks amazing! We're hopeful that we'll be able to book it for our honeymoon! After reading your review and looking at the pictures, I'm even more excited about going.

Thanks again!!

cdunbar

Great pictures and report..and Happy Anniversary but none of the food looks or sounds good to me..:shrug:

Am I the only one who feels this way?

:lookaroun
Nope....:shrug:

Nope. :lookaroun
Glad to see were not alone.

:lol:

Good...the way they presented the food is all pretty but the food itself did not sound yummy to me and did not look good..:eek::shrug:

I guess I am not an elk/cavier kinda girl...:D
I have elk that I enjoy watching near my parents house in North Carolina and I just don't like the idea of killing them...:shrug: I've known people who have eaten cavier and they all always say it's salty.

erstwo

Great pictures and report..and Happy Anniversary but none of the food looks or sounds good to me..:shrug:

No. I agree (at least until you get to that chocolate plate - I'd go for anything chocolate! :lookaroun)

But, I married a foodie so I get to sit through loads of dinners with tiny portions and conversations that go, "Oh, you must try this." Me:"No way am I eating (insert here whatever "delicacy" - fish eggs, snails, elk, etc.)" "You don't know what you're missing." :lol:

Anything for love! But I wonder if I can talk him into dining at V&A solo, while I shop around and spend my $125 at the GF? :D

ETA - I meant to add - Thank you so much for the pictures!! Even though it might not be my first dining choice, I appreciate the opportunity for a glimpse inside!!!

sweetpee_1993

Lately I've been fascinated by the pics, reviews, and thought of a dining experience like V & A's. I worry how well I would like the food considering I've never eaten things prepared or presented like that before. I wonder how seriously they would take you if they came to ask your preferences and your reply was: dessert...a couple other courses prior is acceptable but the key word you want to keep in mind would be "chocolate". :D I'd like to do a 10 course sampling of sweets. Seriously. Pair 'em with liquors and fine coffees. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :slurp:

I'm also curious on the wine pairing thing. Any other time I'd say forget it. I've tried all sorts of wines over the years and have yet to find one I like. Beer, on the other hand, is just my thing. I fear I am destined to remain on the less-classy side of the alcoholic beverage bridge. I want to like wine. I do. That's why I keep trying the stuff. I wonder if a setting such as V & A with proper pairings could enable me to finally find a taste for the flavors. Seriously. Can some of you wine peeps share your thoughts, maybe? Or am I totally grasping for something that's not meant to be? I wonder if you asked for a beer (something other than Budweiser or Miller Lite...something with more substance) if they'd get you one? :shrug:

To the OP, thank you so very much for sharing your experience with all the details & pics. You continue to feed my curiosity for V & A's! :D

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the kind words about the review and the pictures.

A couple of words for those thinking about going (or not, for that matter) to possibly help you with that decision.

First of all, to everyone who is not interested in the menu. Believe me, neither was I! I haven't eaten red meat in 15 years. When we looked online at the menus that were posted, that left me not so many options. When my wife called and booked, she let them know that (as well as the fact that I cannot have anything with caffeine). That being said, when we got there, the Chef verified my concerns and asked if the lamb and pork plates would be OK for me. Being adventurous I said sure, I would give them a try (and hope my stomach could handle it!). Neither my wife or I have ever really had ANYTHING that we ate there! We decided to book it for the adventure. I would not call us "foodies" by any stretch, but we do love to watch lots of Food Network shows. Do we cook like that? No way! But it is fun to watch and make an attempt to learn something!

Yes, the experience is a large part of the price tag. I can't think of any experience in my life where two people waited on me constantly and a team of professional chefs were continually talking to me and checking on my happiness with their creations. Yes, at the restaurant that my wife works at, the main cook will come out occasionally and ask if the burgers are good tonight, but it isn't quite the same!

The price tag is high. We saved specifically for this for just about a year. This was our big almost 10th anniversary gift to each other (and also our birthday gifts to each other for this year and next year's anniversay gift and most likely christmas gifts). I think the second most expensive meal we have ever had was California Grill a few years ago, so this is not our usual way of life.

Do we hope to do it again some day? Certainly. Although, I'm not sure that we could do the regular dining room or Queen Victoria room after this experience. And, for those looking at cost, we only did one wine pairing and then shared - and we had more than enough wine to keep us quite happy (although it meant two of my courses were not 'perfectly' paired to the wine).

By the way, the big splurge of our next trip is spending an evening at Rose And Crown (no, not the dining room, the bar)!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm also curious on the wine pairing thing. Any other time I'd say forget it. I've tried all sorts of wines over the years and have yet to find one I like. Beer, on the other hand, is just my thing. I fear I am destined to remain on the less-classy side of the alcoholic beverage bridge. I want to like wine. I do. That's why I keep trying the stuff. I wonder if a setting such as V & A with proper pairings could enable me to finally find a taste for the flavors. Seriously. Can some of you wine peeps share your thoughts, maybe? Or am I totally grasping for something that's not meant to be? I wonder if you asked for a beer (something other than Budweiser or Miller Lite...something with more substance) if they'd get you one? :shrug:

We are both BIG beer drinkers. In fact at my wife's restaurant they have a beer club. We have been going there for about 10 years, and I have had almost 700 different beers and my wife almost 500 (she did waste some quality beer time being pregnant). We though about asking for beer pairings, but decided 'when in Rome...' The wines were excellent. A couple of them actually made the incredibly good food even better (especially the riesling with the lamb). I highly doubt we would ever buy a bottle of any of those wines on our own (not when I can get a case of Bass for half the price), but they were a part of the evening and definitely added to it!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have elk that I enjoy watching near my parents house in North Carolina and I just don't like the idea of killing them...:shrug: I've known people who have eaten cavier and they all always say it's salty.

That would be why I had the pork for that course. And, while I expected the caviar to just be salt city, it really wasn't. I wouldn't say I loved the caviar, but it worked with the dishes.

paul436

Wow... thanks for the "peek" inside that awesome restaurant. We probably won't ever have a meal
there, as we will always go with our family (five kids!) but, at least I know what I'm missing! Great
pics!
You know, the kids are going to get older and you are going to have a chance to go. At least that's what I'm counting on for myself (3 kids). :)

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks great, I just have a very difficult time justifying $600. Maybe some day...

We're going to disney in Dec/Jan, and taking a cruise right after. We have a balcony on the cruise ship, 7 days, food included for a little more than $600pp.

But soon, I will finish my third and final degree, and maybe then I can afford it.

Trust me, we can't afford it. I am a high school teacher and my wife works at a local restaurant. It was a LOT of saving and cutting spending on other things. For example - '"Let's order pizza tonight. No, wait, put that money in the Disney jar, there's some cereal in the pantry."

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
You know, the kids are going to get older and you are going to have a chance to go. At least that's what I'm counting on for myself (3 kids). :)

Also, if you have the means and are willing to SPEND, kids ARE allowed at the Chef's Table, just not in the restaurant. (granted, I can't imagine spending that much on our DD who limits herself to chicken nuggets, PBJ, and grilled cheese)

paul436

but none of the food looks or sounds good to me..:shrug:

I am a very picky eater but went to a restaurant where my friend is the chef de cuisine. He sat me at the chef's table and served me things I never thought I would eat (like raw sea urchin). Although some things will never be my favorites, the really exceptional chefs (which I assume V&A employs) have a way of making everything delicious. Try it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

maggiegrace1

No. I agree (at least until you get to that chocolate plate - I'd go for anything chocolate!

But, I married a foodie so I get to sit through loads of dinners with tiny portions and conversations that go, "Oh, you must try this." Me:"No way am I eating (insert here whatever "delicacy" - fish eggs, snails, elk, etc.)" "You don't know what you're missing." :lol:

Anything for love! But I wonder if I can talk him into dining at V&A solo, while I shop around and spend my $125 at the GF? :D

ETA - I meant to add - Thank you so much for the pictures!! Even though it might not be my first dining choice, I appreciate the opportunity for a glimpse inside!!!
The chocolate and some of the cheese plate looked good..:D
Lately I've been fascinated by the pics, reviews, and thought of a dining experience like V & A's. I worry how well I would like the food considering I've never eaten things prepared or presented like that before. I wonder how seriously they would take you if they came to ask your preferences and your reply was: dessert...a couple other courses prior is acceptable but the key word you want to keep in mind would be "chocolate". :D I'd like to do a 10 course sampling of sweets. Seriously. Pair 'em with liquors and fine coffees. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :slurp:

To the OP, thank you so very much for sharing your experience with all the details & pics. You continue to feed my curiosity for V & A's! :D
Rosa Regale...:slurp:

They serve it in Italy at EPCOT but you can buy it at World Market and some other stores...sooo good esp if you have a chocolate truffle with it...and I am not a wine drinker at all..
I am a very picky eater but went to a restaurant where my friend is the chef de cuisine. He sat me at the chef's table and served me things I never thought I would eat (like raw sea urchin). Although some things will never be my favorites, the really exceptional chefs (which I assume V&A employs) have a way of making everything delicious. Try it. You may be pleasantly surprised.
See...the expense is not worth it tome though..because I would NOT try Sea Urchin..or ELK..no matter how good they make it look or tatse..I just can not do it..:shrug:

I am glad that you and others like it though and are willing to try..I just gag thinking about it..:eek:

sweetpee_1993

By the way, the big splurge of our next trip is spending an evening at Rose And Crown (no, not the dining room, the bar)!

Ooooh...I need to PM you about this. Lately I've also taken to reading & investigating certain dining-ish experiences that are totally off the norm in WDW offerings. Pricey splurges? Absolutely. There's one I read recently that took place in veeeery close proximity to the R & C that I think might hold some appeal for you. I gotta stop with my investigating and wondering. My Disney-Bucket-List is expanding entirely too fast! :lol:

Oh yeah. Inevitably we all blink & our kids are practically grown. It'll be no time before you'll be able to spend a carefree evening just you & the better half with no kiddos. Technically I could leave mine on their own long enough to do a dinner but so far I've not been able to talk them into venturing off minus the parental units. I've offered. They turn us down every time. :shrug:

Now that we're homeschooling we've joked a bit about our own private graduation "ceremony" and celebrations to be working towards (oldest is starting 9th grade so it's not really that far off). I joked that the boys could choose their venue. They can "walk" on Main Street in a t-shirt & flip flops wearing the mouse ears w/cap and I'll hand 'em their diploma in front of the Partners statue. I'm totally picturing V&As for a celebratory dinner event. The oldest ,who's really starting to grow into a total foodie (we cringe when we take him anywhere that has expensive steak and/or lobster dishes nowadays because that's always what he wants), would really get a lot out of this sort of thing. Just an idea for future daydreaming.... LOL!

Trust me, we can't afford it. I am a high school teacher and my wife works at a local restaurant. It was a LOT of saving and cutting spending on other things. For example - '"Let's order pizza tonight. No, wait, put that money in the Disney jar, there's some cereal in the pantry."

That's awesome that y'all made such a big splurge happen. I imagine it made the experience that much more special for y'all. Several years back we pitched change & small bills into the family piggy bank for a whole year. Just before our trip we had the fun of sitting on the floor counting all the money together and scheduling a fishing excursion for the guys. They loved it!

The chocolate and some of the cheese plate looked good..:D

Rosa Regale...:slurp:

They serve it in Italy at EPCOT but you can buy it at World Market and some other stores...sooo good esp if you have a chocolate truffle with it...and I am not a wine drinker at all..

See...the expense is not worth it tome though..because I would NOT try Sea Urchin..or ELK..no matter how good they make it look or tatse..I just can not do it..:shrug:

I am glad that you and others like it though and are willing to try..I just gag thinking about it..:eek:

One of my cousins told me a couple years ago to get some wine from Italy. I keep forgetting. LOL! And would you believe it, they closed the World Market we used to have in Beaumont. Now our nearest one is about an hour away. Maybe next time we're in Houston for something I'll look one up & swing by. :animwink:

I've never done this sort of experience before either. Trust me, some of the things I've seen & read about people eating I don't think I could stomach. Occasionally I enjoy shrimp or lobster but I've never met a fish I thought was anything other than --> :hurl:. However, what I read into this sort of experience is that part of they high price tag is the fact that before anything is prepared for me I'll get the chance to tell the chef what I like, dislike, prefer, favor, etc. Then the meal gets customized just for me. My understanding from what I've read is if I tell the chef "fish turns my stomach" and "I most enjoy traditional Southern comfort foods" I won't find any fish on any of my plates while some of what I might find would be really interesting twists perhaps incorporating elements from some old favorites. I guess the point is not to be put off by things other people have been served that gross you out because if you express your likes/dislikes to the chef and you are clear that you aren't wanting a very adventurous experience your meal will be catered to that so that your overall experience will be just as incredible as the guests who eat all those things that are so off the beaten path.

I wonder if a guest has ever been served something and been so appalled by it that they were given a replacement dish? What happens if you take a bite and it's totally :hurl:? Do they take it back and give you something else? I don't think this would be a problem for me but at that price point I'm curious how these situations would be handled. I can see where the less adventurous eaters out there would be more on the unsure side...to the point that they were afraid to plunk down that amount of money & run the risk of a not so stellar experience.

paul436

The oldest ,who's really starting to grow into a total foodie (we cringe when we take him anywhere that has expensive steak and/or lobster dishes nowadays because that's always what he wants), would really get a lot out of this sort of thing.
My oldest has always been a very adventurous eater. Much more than I will ever be and he too has acquired a taste for the more expensive things on the menu.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
By the way, DW hates fish. Absolutely hates all fish, especially shrimp. Said she would try it for the adventure (like me with lamb and pork). She LOVED the popcorn encrusted shrimp and enjoyed the other fishy items as well. Now she says she hates all fish that was not prepared by Chef Scott Hunnel's team.

Just goes to show that anything prepared well enough just might change a person's mind (if they are willing to try it).

Phonedave

My oldest has always been a very adventurous eater. Much more than I will ever be and he too has acquired a taste for the more expensive things on the menu.

Yeah, like my 11 y/o agonizing between the duck and the tenderloin.

Or at California Grill when the waiter comes by to take our order she starts out with "For my first course I will have ...." My wallet does not enjoy it, but I encourage her to try new dishes.

I love the fact that she is open to and enjoys food just as much as I am And THINKS about it as well - she made some quite thoughtfull comments for an 11 y/o. She ordered a raviolli dish at California Grill and when the waiter came by to check on us, she asked "What is the sauce" and I guess he was thinking "This kid must be wondering where the marinaria is" so he says "it's the creamy stuff under the pasta" My daughter looks at him with a look that says "Yeah, I know that" and then says "No, what is in it, I am tasting something very sweet". Then they had a nice little discussion about it being sweet corn and cream, sort of like a corn bisque.

I would love to be able to take her to the Chef's Table, however my 8 y/o is still in the chincken fingers and pasta stage (hopefully she comes around soon)

Oh for the day's when I can take her somplace like Momofuku Ko (if there is anybody who is available for dinner ... wink wink :) )

-dave

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom