Victoria & Albert's

fizzle75

Howdy folks!:wave: My wife and I are hoping to make a trip down to WDW for my birthday next February. My wife has been asking me where I want to eat on my birthday and I immediately thought of Victoria & Alberts. I have never eaten at Victoria & Alberts but have always wanted to. For those of you who have eaten there...how was your experience? Did you feel out of place, what did you wear and, most importantly, how was the food? I'm not a big seafood fan, I can't even stand the smell of it, so am I gonna be able to get a meal I enjoy? I'm a little confused about the menu...do you pick from an existing menu or do they craft a personalized menu to suit your tastes?

I'm just a good 'ol mountain boy(with a strong southern accent)so I'm a little intimidated...should I be? Sorry to ask so many questions, I've just always been intrigued by V&A and it seems like it would be a wonderful experience.
Any opinions or reviews will be greatly appreciated!

-Matt

k.hunter30

If you do not get wine with the meal, would it be odd to order anything else besides water--would the waiter suggest something different might "ruin the meal"? (We will most likely not drink the wine)

Fortunately, DH and I have been to some outstanding restaurants. To be honest, I'm wondering if it's worth the $150 per person that I've heard it can be. Granted, while we've had exceptional food, I wouldn't describe those dining experiences as an "event." What, aside from the food, makes it an event; and is that worth the extra costs?

Upvote 0

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
If you do not get wine with the meal, would it be odd to order anything else besides water--would the waiter suggest something different might "ruin the meal"? (We will most likely not drink the wine)

Fortunately, DH and I have been to some outstanding restaurants. To be honest, I'm wondering if it's worth the $150 per person that I've heard it can be. Granted, while we've had exceptional food, I wouldn't describe those dining experiences as an "event." What, aside from the food, makes it an event; and is that worth the extra costs?

The service is the difference.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Well, for some, it will never be "worth" the price. The meal is carefully orchestrated and you will be there for about 2 hours (although you do loose track of time). You have two dedicated wait staff (one man, one woman) who make you feel as if you are royalty, and their only responsibility is to you. The setting is intimate, romantic and warm without being stuffy. You are not table to table, and rarely hear any sounds other than the conversation at your table and soft harp music in the background.

Spending an evening at V&A's makes you realize how special a meal can be, and (unfortunately) how hurried and ordinary most other meals are.

Possibly you can equate it to a massage....rather expensive, but few walk away saying it wasn't worth it. Come to think of it, I would guess that the expressions on peoples faces leaving V&A's or a good massage are pretty similar.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

Well, for some, it will never be "worth" the price. The meal is carefully orchestrated and you will be there for about 2 hours (although you do loose track of time). You have two dedicated wait staff (one man, one woman) who make you feel as if you are royalty, and their only responsibility is to you. The setting is intimate, romantic and warm without being stuffy. You are not table to table, and rarely hear any sounds other than the conversation at your table and soft harp music in the background.

Spending an evening at V&A's makes you realize how special a meal can be, and (unfortunately) how hurried and ordinary most other meals are.

Possibly you can equate it to a massage....rather expensive, but few walk away saying it wasn't worth it. Come to think of it, I would guess that the expressions on peoples faces leaving V&A's or a good massage are pretty similar.
Wow. Great explanation. I think it's definitely something DH will save up for for our next trip. Thanks.

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

Wonderful explanation! I never thought of making a request of the harpist. What a good idea. However, I doubt she'd know our song either. :lol:

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
Just a word of caution though...when it says that jackets are required for men, I'm pretty sure you're still expected to wear trousers of some sort, shoes and a shirt underneath the jacket. I just didn't want you to read that too literally and show up with nothing but a jacket on. Just trying to save you a little embarassement is all. :p:hammer:

Ok, that settles it...we're not going!:lol:

Thank you all for your input and advice, especially Phonedave. I'm even more excited about it than I was before. I promise to post a trip report about it as soon as we get back! Stop laughing Steve.

I still don't know if I can have a meal without my beloved Sweet Tea or Coke though.

-Matt

Upvote 0

VoiceGuy07

Just a word of caution though...when it says that jackets are required for men, I'm pretty sure you're still expected to wear trousers of some sort, shoes and a shirt underneath the jacket. I just didn't want you to read that too literally and show up with nothing but a jacket on. Just trying to save you a little embarassement is all. :p:hammer:[/quote

Good to know! Was planning on showing up in my new jacket only speedo kinda thing.

Upvote 0

davinakb

Lucky enough to eat at the Chef's Table twice, and totally enjoyed it. It is very haute cuisine, all about subtle flavors, presentation and experience; which admittedly is not for everyone. Both trips we were asked about allergies, dislikes and such, so the chefs are very receptive about serving dishes you would enjoy (and would be happy to omit seafood if you asked).
I've seen pictures of some of the dishes and it looks like they are so fancy that people who don't normally eat at places like this might not even know "how" to eat it. Like are some of the items on the plate for garnish purposes only? Is it all to be eaten
We were not shy, just dove right in; everything is explained at the CT, and I am sure the servers would be very happy to describe everything for you in detail. If you are adventurous and enjoy fine dining, go for it. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

De-lurking to say that I am looking forward to eating at V&A's "someday" and I will eat everything on my plate, even the garnish. For a 150.00 a pop that parsely better taste GREAT:slurp:

Upvote 0

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member

I am not a wine drinker at all and have never had a problem. I usually stay away from the soda and go with an iced tea, but that seems to be quite the norm and nothing odd about it.

Upvote 0

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
We were not shy, just dove right in; everything is explained at the CT, and I am sure the servers would be very happy to describe everything for you in detail. If you are adventurous and enjoy fine dining, go for it. Enjoy.

De-lurking to say that I am looking forward to eating at V&A's "someday" and I will eat everything on my plate, even the garnish. For a 150.00 a pop that parsely better taste GREAT:slurp:

:lol: I guess that answers that question :lol:

I really don't know what I saw in the picture though, it looked like some wild spirally thingamabob on top of the food! I guess I just need to get out more :eek:

I'm definitely going to have to try it someday soon. It is tax return season, so who knows, maybe now is the time!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I may as well throw in my questions too:

I've seen pictures of some of the dishes and it looks like they are so fancy that people who don't normally eat at places like this might not even know "how" to eat it. Like are some of the items on the plate for garnish purposes only? Is it all to be eaten? Would you feel uncomfortable if you didn't know and had to ask?

I really need to eat there eventually, but it just really intimidates the heck outta me :eek:

Also, are there a lot of people there all at once or is it a very small place?

As I said in my other post, they are "casual formal". Nobody is going to jump down your throat, nobody is going to think less of you. It's a Disney place, and they are there to make YOU comfortable.

Yes, they have a dress code, yes it's jacket required, and there are no kids, but it's not a state dinner. If you have any sort of questions, just ask, and your Victoria or Albert will be more than happy to answer them.

In fact, if somebody is interested in fine dining and upscale preperations and is nervous about trying it for the first time, I would recommend V&A's as your first place to try.

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Ok, that settles it...we're not going!:lol:

Thank you all for your input and advice, especially Phonedave. I'm even more excited about it than I was before. I promise to post a trip report about it as soon as we get back! Stop laughing Steve.

I still don't know if I can have a meal without my beloved Sweet Tea or Coke though.

-Matt

Sweet Tea - I can feel the enamel on my teeth gritting from the sugar already :) Nah, just joking with you.

If you feel the need to have either sweet tea or cola with dinner, I would go with sweet tea. Carbonation can also make flavors different. Now there is nothing wrong with soda or sweet tea and it's not a faux pas, it's just that 1) you are paying $150 for the meal, and b) part of that money is because the chef has spent quite a bit of time getting the flavors "just right".

The combination of veal cheek and golden beets was something I never expected and just blew me away. I like beets OK, not something I normaly look for, but those golden beets had such a delicate sweetness, and combined with the cheek meat, was just amazing. The wine helped to enhance it. I would imagine a fizzy cold coke would have just dulled the whole thing. And before people go, "cheek meat, ewwwww, I am not eating there", cheeks are some of the best parts of any animal, and because they are a small part, are quite expensive. They are very tender and sweet, and if the menu did not say "cheek" on it, you would just think it's any other cut.

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

:lol: I guess that answers that question :lol:

I really don't know what I saw in the picture though, it looked like some wild spirally thingamabob on top of the food! I guess I just need to get out more :eek:

I'm definitely going to have to try it someday soon. It is tax return season, so who knows, maybe now is the time!

You eat with your eyes first.

Imagine the same dish - lets say risotto. One served in a lump on a paper plate, the other exact same dish, but on a heavy china plate, plated with a ring so that it stands up, with a nest of finely sliced deep fried onions and some chopped scallion on to of it. Maybe a sauteed and sliced and fanned out mushroom next to it (it is mushroom risotto of course).

Which one do you want to eat? :D

And you could go right ahead and eat the fried onion, chives, and mushroom :D

-dave

Upvote 0

KingStefan

It is as many have said a unique and wonderful experience.

It is one of the fanciest places I have been to, and yet I felt more comfortable there than in any other restaurant I've eaten at. I often feel uneasy at fancy places, but not at all at this one.

This is largely due to the staff. They know just how to read people and provide just the service that makes you feel most relaxed. They do not "hover" over you - they are practically invisible - but all you have to do is think about wanting something and they are there for you.

They made us feel at home and relaxed the moment we entered the door, and that feeling didn't stop the entire time we were there.

As we were the fist ones there, our waiter and waitress noticed us looking around, and said "don't worry, there will be more people showing up in a few minutes!" They seemed to be able to read your mind.

Our pair worked as sort of a team with the pair for the next table to make sure that the service was totally uninterupted.

Example, I rose from the table, and immediately our waitress was there asking if I needed something. I asked where the rest rooms were, and rather than merely indicating the direction, she asked me to follow her across the room and indicated the door. When I returned, she appeared out of nowhere to adjust my chair and handed me my newly folded napkin that I had left on my seat. All without making me feel conspicuous in the least. I felt truly wealthy and important.

Another example. DW and I shared everything. We also got wine pairings. This had the effect of making it a 12-course meal for each of us! The wine pariings were most often different for the dish we had each chosen. We'd switch plates and glasses halfway through the course. One course, there was a wine DW didn't particulary care for, but I liked it a lot. So she ended up having half a glass that course, and I have one and a half. Our waitress didn't hear our conversation, and thought I was just being selfish, and so discretely came and poured another glass for DW without saying anything! So I got yet another glass!

Sometimes the "wine" pariing will actually be a beer or something else. It made the meal very interesting.

When you make your reservation, they will ask where you are staying or how you can be reached. They will call you if they can reach you the day before and ask if there is anything special that they should avoid. DW has a bad reaction to coconut milk sometimes. Sure enough, her menu and mine were different - they had made a substitution just for her because one of the dishes the chef had chosen that night had coconut milk. The substitution didn't appeal to her, so she ordered something else anyway, but is sounded so good to me that I had it! And it was wonderful (although we had so many different things that I'd be hard pressed to remember what it was now).

They tell you to plan at least two hours. They will follow your lead and go at your pace. They are able to read your preferences and go at exactly the right pace you want without asking. I don't know how they manage it, but they do. We took about 2 1/2 hours to finish.

It was more than a meal - it was an event. And though expensive, it was well worth it for us. Not every day (I wish), and maybe not even every trip, but certainly once, and maybe someday again. And although the portions are small, there are so many courses, that I was quite satisfied at the end - and I'm a big eater.

If you are a meat and potatoes, get in and get out, gimme large portions - type of restaurant eater, then avoid this place. Also if you are absolutely not adventerous at all and have a very limited number of things you will eat and don't like trying something new, then call and describe your preferences and ask if you can be accomodated first before making a commitment. Other than that, go for it!

Upvote 0

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
You eat with your eyes first.

Imagine the same dish - lets say risotto. One served in a lump on a paper plate, the other exact same dish, but on a heavy china plate, plated with a ring so that it stands up, with a nest of finely sliced deep fried onions and some chopped scallion on to of it. Maybe a sauteed and sliced and fanned out mushroom next to it (it is mushroom risotto of course).

Which one do you want to eat? :D

And you could go right ahead and eat the fried onion, chives, and mushroom :D

-dave

That was a very nice description, thank you. I have been convinced by this thread (I've read others on the subject, but this one did the trick) that I too will finally try Victoria and Albert's. In fact I do believe I will try it for my birthday in July. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom