Victim alleging Tower of Terror is dangerous asks for a new trial

Ziggie

Original Poster
Lawyers representing a stroke victim who claims the stroke was caused by Walt Disney World’s Twilight Zone Tower of Terror have asked for a new trial, a week after an Orange County jury decided there was nothing unsafe about the attraction.

Lawyers for Marvin Cohen, a now-80-year-old man who said he was injured after riding the Disney-MGM Studios (now Disney’s Hollywood Studios) attraction in 1998, argue that jury members were given inadequate instructions before they began deliberations.

Cohen’s team says Orange County Circuit Judge Jose Rodriguez should have permitted the jury to consider a general negligence claim – rather than solely a premises liability claim, which involves different legal standards – and that the judge should not have barred Cohen’s lawyers from introducing evidence of other similar injuries involving the Tower of Terror, among other errors.

Cohen has said he did not realize that Tower of Terror was a high-speed, sudden-drop attraction when he and his family decided to ride it. He claims that the ride’s drops and rebounds caused his neck to twist as he leaned over to shield a young relative, causing a tear in an artery leading to his brain that ultimately caused a stroke about three weeks later.

The motion ensures that the 8-year-old lawsuit — a rare case claiming that a theme-park attraction is inherently dangerous, rather than alleging that a defect or operational error led to an injury – will continue for at least a few more weeks. This was the first ride-related personal-injury suit against any of Orlando’s major theme parks to go to trial in at least six years.

If Rodriguez denies the request for a new trial, Cohen’s lawyers could still appeal some of the legal rulings made during the course of the suit to an appellate court.

stewdog1

So how much money is this guy trying to extort from Disney?

I know this has probably been discussed before in depth, but how the heck can you pinpoint a tear in an artery at that exact moment in time?

Figment632

Meh next time im at WDW I will make myself get brain freexe from a DOle whip then I am going to sue Disney and Dole and claim that the brain frezze caused permanent damage.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Lawyers representing a stroke victim who claims the stroke was caused by Walt Disney World’s Twilight Zone Tower of Terror have asked for a new trial, a week after an Orange County jury decided there was nothing unsafe about the attraction.

Lawyers for Marvin Cohen, a now-80-year-old man who said he was injured after riding the Disney-MGM Studios (now Disney’s Hollywood Studios) attraction in 1998, argue that jury members were given inadequate instructions before they began deliberations.

Cohen’s team says Orange County Circuit Judge Jose Rodriguez should have permitted the jury to consider a general negligence claim – rather than solely a premises liability claim, which involves different legal standards – and that the judge should not have barred Cohen’s lawyers from introducing evidence of other similar injuries involving the Tower of Terror, among other errors.

Cohen has said he did not realize that Tower of Terror was a high-speed, sudden-drop attraction when he and his family decided to ride it. He claims that the ride’s drops and rebounds caused his neck to twist as he leaned over to shield a young relative, causing a tear in an artery leading to his brain that ultimately caused a stroke about three weeks later.

The motion ensures that the 8-year-old lawsuit — a rare case claiming that a theme-park attraction is inherently dangerous, rather than alleging that a defect or operational error led to an injury – will continue for at least a few more weeks. This was the first ride-related personal-injury suit against any of Orlando’s major theme parks to go to trial in at least six years.

If Rodriguez denies the request for a new trial, Cohen’s lawyers could still appeal some of the legal rulings made during the course of the suit to an appellate court.
You would think the screaming that can be heard from the front of the park and the fact that you can see the elevators going up and down from the front of the attraction might be a clue that ToT is not a clone of IASW.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You would think the screaming that can be heard from the front of the park and the fact that you can see the elevators going up and down from the front of the attraction might be a clue that ToT is not a clone of IASW.

Plus the signage at the entrance, and the warnings in the guide map.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Warning signs aside I just do not see how it is possible to think that ToT is anything but a thrill ride. It would be like saying that you did not know that the tea cups spun or that you could get wet on Splash Mountain.

fosse76

I think that's his argument...that the signage didn't indicate what the attraction did (or that the signage wasn't visible).

The problem with this case is, in theory, there are some activities that have an inherent risk of harm from their normal operation. It's one of the reasons theme parks place signs in front of attractions, because under the premises liability claim they CAN be responsible for injuries. Not being too familiar with this case, I assume that the plaintiff was unable to prove that the Tower of Terror was the cause of his stroke...so I doubt the jury instructions had much to do with the verdict in this case.

Mouse Man

Does any one on this site know why when Lawyers die that they burry them 12 ft deep instead of the normal 6 ft deep?

Because it is believed by honest people that somewhere down deep Lawyers are good!

Honestly this is the most ridiculous story about this 80 year old man and the ToT that I have ever heard. He should really be ashamed of himself. Did he think the Tower of Terror was going to be cute little bunny rabbits and move at the speed of SSE. Then what about the signs posted, the screams heard and of course seeing the open window from outside and seeing the people drop. Lastly he could have asked a cast member before he gotten on what the ride was like and opt walk to the exit and wait for his family if he thinks the ride would hurt himself. I guess common sense does not prevail here. Not to mention WDW wins the case and now has to pay again to go to re-trial. Thats bull. I hope when WDW wins the case again that WDW lawyers ask the courts to have this person pay the leagal fee's that Disney has to pay out. That just might set a precendense to help stop law suites like this.

caslers

Last year when I rode this, the lady next to me told me that she believed that this ride was just like the haunted mansion! :hammer::ROFLOL:
I don't see how you could think this!

floridabill

This could never win. Because if it did then technically wouldn't every thrill ride, or ride for that matter be deemed unsafe and unridable!!??!! so this 80 year old who will probably not even last much longer is trying to screw disney an everyone over some people! :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom