Via Napoli to open on August 5

fillerup

That's a great report.

And as long as we're on the topic of ovens, from the O'Sentinel:

"A unique feature at Via Napoli will be the wood-burning ovens, which are named after the three active volcanoes in Italy – Mount Etna, Mount Vesuvius and Stromboli. Each oven will be sculpted with the “face of the volcano” — reflecting the gods whose mythology surrounds each volcano’s history."

Full Article

mickey2008.1

cool stuff. Thanks mythbuster and raven for the inside scoop. The menu doesnt seem that impressive though. Very basic. At tleast they are pushing authentic pizzas which is what i really want to try.

Rinx

I was so happy to hear that it will be open when I'm there in August until I found out that it costs $35 for a large plain pie and $18 for an individual plain pie!!:eek::eek::eek:

I know it's a unique place but that is absolutely ridiculous. I think I will have to pass.....

mickey2008.1

I was so happy to hear that it will be open when I'm there in August until I found out that it costs $35 for a large plain pie and $18 for an individual plain pie!!:eek::eek::eek:

I know it's a unique place but that is absolutely ridiculous. I think I will have to pass.....
i agree, the pricing is ridiculous. But we knew that was coming as seeing the menu from cali. Get a little for a lot. :cry:

raven

The ovens got their labels (names) yesterday: Stromboli, Vesuvio and Etna. The day before they got a nice flame paint job in the wall behind them.

They've also added a very wimsicle chandelier as you enter the lobby area. It's made of glass and has multi-colored grapes, eggs, eggplants, lemons, and various other fruits hanging from it as well as many different colored shades.

It seems that the construction workers also kept with the Italian theme in the restrooms by not pitching the floor enough for water to drain. After hosing it down it seemed as though we were in Venice.

Here's a picture I snapped on 7/20 of Via Napoli.

What's interesting to me about this photo, is that as I was walking toward the building, the wind blew open the balcony door up top.

My thought is that if this was just a typical building facade, there would be no reason to have working doors up there. I'm sort of speculating that maybe there are plans for a Romeo & Juliet balcony skit presentation (and maybe others).

Of course, there might be a more routine explanation that hasn't occurred to me. Any thoughts?

100_2407.jpg

The upper floor that you see in the photo (with the door) is a facod. Behind the facod the roof tapers down at a 45 degree angle until it meets the roof of the restaurant. So if you were to walk through the door you'd run directly into the slanting roof. (Note the ladder in the picture as a way of reaching the balcony.) The only access inside of it is for lighting.

SeaCastle

I would've hoped they added some sort of fountain or water feature to the area. Though King Neptune's Fountain is still there, Italy is another victim of downsizing aquatic effects. The pavilion seems very dry for being such a water-oriented nation.

CaptainWinter

What????? $35 for a pizza???? Are they going crazy?? In Italy a pizza can cost up to $16, and that's already a lot!!!! :shrug:

That is 20-inch pizza with 12 pieces, by the way. If three people can split it, it seems like a reasonable enough price to me. Even for two it's not outrageous. You're not exactly in a strip mall pizza joint.

From raven's report, this sounds like a really neat space. And it's great they're investing in a pavilion that's been IMO pretty undernourished in its history. High-quality pizza is a natural for World Showcase.

goofykt

Hope we get to try it in September.....also glad to hear someone else likes the food in the Land Pavilion.......Seasons 'food court' is great!

You're not alone - we love the food in there too ;) They always have really good desserts. The DH and I always step in there to ride Soarin' and then split a dessert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom