Very Merry Xmas Party - Is it worth it?

Graham9

Original Poster
We have managed to scrape togther just enough money and time off work to have an extended winter vacation at "The most magical place on Earth" - having not been there for a few years.

I have just found out that there is this Very Merry Christmas Party going on and I would like to know is it really worth the $49 ea to go and see it. Are those 200,000 lights on the MK Castle only on for these VMCP guests after park closure? Are tickets avilable on the night? What else can I expect for my $49? This really seems expensive to me and I would just like to hear from others who have been to it in the past.

:xmas:

TheDisneyMagic

I would 1000% reccomend it, every year we debate whether we should go again as the crowds get larger and sometimes they remove some of the perks from the previous year (think buttons and sending home photos) but when it comes down to it, we would not miss it for the World, it's great and would definately reccomend going.

Have a great trip.

disneymom.balt

My husband and I have told by other "Disney" fans that this is worth every penny. $ is high, but of good value. Our biggest concern is that starts at 7pm, so how to make sure our kids are ready to go! I have been told much better that Halloween events that just finished up. This will be our 1st time attending.:sohappy:

krankenstein

Since you've never been, do it!!

Make sure you enjoy the special events that you can only see at the parties. Pirates of the Caribbean will be available the next day, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade won't.

kimmychad

we have been to the christmas party and it's our favorite of the 3 parties. what dates are you going? most things are shown during regular park hours towards the end of december.

jriddle

We went in 2004 & 2005. We are going back in 3 weeks for the Dec. 2nd party. They start letting you into the park at 4:00, so you can gain a few hours of fun. The special shows are great, as is the parade. Check the Disney web site for advance purchase tickets. Some days are less expensive than others. You can purchase the discounted ones online & then use will call to pick them up.

Cane27

I went to the first few Parties, and they were great. They were great because they worked really hard to make everything special.

First you'd go in and they'd give you this big commemorative pin/button. My wife has the first 3 on our Christmas hat. Then Disney found out that pin collecting was big so now you can BUY commemorative pins.

Every year we looked forward to our complimentary family photo that was taken at the party and would arrive at our house a few weeks later... a great "wow, remember that?" which seemed to come a day or so before the 25th..... Then Disney found out that they could make more bucks with their new digital buy online service and stopped the nice little gift thing.

Then we'd enjoy the magical Christmas fireworks that would blast from literally all over the park. Then (it seems anyway) Disney decided they were spending too much money on that and scaled it back.

We're not a parade family, but if you are there's a special parade.

Other than cold bad cookies and some cold hot chocolate, its the same thing with Christmas music and snow bubbles in your hair.

Of course I'll get shot for the review, but this is not exactly a board full of anyone who has an objective opinion.

If you have $$$ to burn, do it. Otherwise, save it for some Christmas presents for your kids or family.

Could not agree more.

cameronmouse

I say go for it without a doubt. My wife and I are went to wdw for our honeymoon 2 years ago and went to the christmas party and it was one of our favorite things we did. We are going back this coming december and cant wait to go to the party again this time with our son who will be 11 months at the time of the trip.

MyLittleAngels

The Christmas Party is nice once, but I don't think I'd do it again. There are a couple of perks - the free hot chocolate and cookies are nice, but they wouldn't sell me on the party. I don't care for the new version of the parade - it was better a couple of years ago. The fireworks are nice, but they're just fireworks.

They have a nice Christmas show in the galaxy theater that used to be exculsive to the party, but now has showtimes during the regular daytime hours.

Everyone has a differing opinion of the parties, and for me, this one is just a "do oncer", and opposed to the Halloween party, which I'd do multiple times a year if I didn't have to pay for 5 people each time.

Bottom line, if you like the parades and fireworks, do the party! If you're more interested in the ambience and Christmas atmosphere, you'll find plenty of that in every park, without dropping the extra cash. The castle lights are on every night - they aren't exclusive to the party, either.

TheDisneyMagic

You have made the exact points that I am thinking aswell, but there is still something about it that feels special.

I can live with some of the cut backs that they made (Do I wish they would bring them back, Yes but I can live) but I don't like the amount of people they allow in. A great thing used to be that the park was limited heavily to the amouny of people to be allowed in during these events. This was great as almost everything was walk straight on and there was that special feeling.

All these years later and it feels like there are even more people attending these parties than regular park opening days. Eg Space Mountain was over a two and a half hour wait on one of the parties I attended last Christmas, yet the day before during regular hours it was only an hour.

WDWFigment

I went to the first few Parties, and they were great. They were great because they worked really hard to make everything special.

First you'd go in and they'd give you this big commemorative pin/button. My wife has the first 3 on our Christmas hat. Then Disney found out that pin collecting was big so now you can BUY commemorative pins.

Every year we looked forward to our complimentary family photo that was taken at the party and would arrive at our house a few weeks later... a great "wow, remember that?" which seemed to come a day or so before the 25th..... Then Disney found out that they could make more bucks with their new digital buy online service and stopped the nice little gift thing.

Then we'd enjoy the magical Christmas fireworks that would blast from literally all over the park. Then (it seems anyway) Disney decided they were spending too much money on that and scaled it back.

Other than cold bad cookies and some cold hot chocolate, its the same thing with Christmas music and snow bubbles in your hair.

Of course I'll get shot for the review, but this is not exactly a board full of anyone who has an objective opinion.

If you have $$$ to burn, do it. Otherwise, save it for some Christmas presents for your kids or family.

Normally I hate Disney's cutbacks, and I express as much. However, I think we have a bit of revisionist history here.

The picture was a nice treat. Yeah, but was it worth the nearly two hour wait? While I don't make use of it, I think the 40% off PhotoPass--which allows me to get any picture I want from the party--is a pretty good substitute.

Did the buttons really make or break the event for you? Personally, I'd rather spend the $12 and get a much nicer pin.

Do the addition of the castle lights not count for anything? What about the addition of character dance parties and additional character meet and greets?

The cookies and hot chocolate are a matter of opinion. I really enjoyed both last year.

The bottom line for me is that it's well worth the $49 for a variety of reasons. You can see rare characters, if you enjoy that. You can see an amazing holiday parade and fireworks, if you like that type of thing. You can see some very entertaining stage shows, if those are your thing. You can ride a ton of attractions with virtually no wait, if that's your thing. Even if you only do it for the rides, it's a good move. 4pm until 12 am for $50, with much more bearable wait times on every attraction makes it a better value than 8am until 12am for $80 (or whatever amount you're paying with your ticket package).

Noting that, I never ride an attraction during the party because there is so much alternate entertainment that I enjoy.

360rico1

Thankyou for bringing me down my family and I are going for the first time well at least I know what to expect

KHockett

Only been to Pirate and Princess. But one thing I think is possible to consider is that $49 is cheaper than a full day park ticket. You could spend the morning at your hotel/DTD and then buy tickets to the party instead of another ticket. Depends if you are buying a package and for how many days but it is something to consider. Also, if you don't have park hopping - it would allow you to do two separate parks in one day.

bugsbunny

I've been there on Friday, Sat, Sun night parties; it was INSANE how crowded it gets and in fact, can sell out. It gets ungodly packed and downright ridiculous trying to get on some of the rides. As stated in the quote above, I could not agree more!

And then I learned my lesson. I went on a weekday night. It was like nobody was there. I'd estimate 1/4 of the size of the crowd. The hot chocolate was actually hot and you could get cookies without having to wait in line, etc. Even for the parade, you didnt need to camp out somewhere for 45 minutes prior to it starting. That being that, going on a weeknight at least lets you appear to enjoy the place rather than being shuttled in like cattle.

I did notice this year that on the Thursday I wanted to go, there is no advanced discount offered? Only on weekend events now! Also, did I miss the announcement that children as young as 3 now need a $40+ ticket for this thing??? RIDICULOUS!!! Is my 3 year old really going to put a $40 burden on WDW? $30? $20? Even $10???

So now, my Thursday night trip will be 2 adults and 1 3 year old for the tune of $175!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe that if this is going to be the case, this is the absolute last time I'll be doing it.

7swans

We went for the first time Christmas 2006. We had people with us who had never been to WDW, and our family had not been there for 4 years. Our trip was the week before Christmas so I am sure that the party we were at was more heavily attended than those earlier in the season.

Since we had not been to the World for a while, we were interested in attractions more than the extras the party provides. The crowds we encountered were by far the heaviest we saw during our trip. The area in front of the castle was gridlocked, no way to move at all. The wait times for attractions were longer than we saw the rest of our trip.

It seems to me that those who love the parties the most are frequent visitors to WDW, those who have done it all many times enjoy the difference{shows, parade, & firework variations} the parties provide. For those who have not been to the parks for quite awhile the party is an unnecessary expense in my opinion. There is more than enough to see at WDW, without the parties.

We bought DVC, and between that & taking student groups down, have now been back 3 times in 3 years, and will be going again in 2009 & 2010.
I am sure we will arrive at the place when we will appreciate the parties soon enough! I won't want to attend one during a peak time ever again though.

WDWFigment

I've been there on Friday, Sat, Sun night parties; it was INSANE how crowded it gets and in fact, can sell out. It gets ungodly packed and downright ridiculous trying to get on some of the rides. As stated in the quote above, I could not agree more!

And then I learned my lesson. I went on a weekday night. It was like nobody was there. I'd estimate 1/4 of the size of the crowd. The hot chocolate was actually hot and you could get cookies without having to wait in line, etc. Even for the parade, you didnt need to camp out somewhere for 45 minutes prior to it starting. That being that, going on a weeknight at least lets you appear to enjoy the place rather than being shuttled in like cattle.

I did notice this year that on the Thursday I wanted to go, there is no advanced discount offered? Only on weekend events now! Also, did I miss the announcement that children as young as 3 now need a $40+ ticket for this thing??? RIDICULOUS!!! Is my 3 year old really going to put a $40 burden on WDW? $30? $20? Even $10???

So now, my Thursday night trip will be 2 adults and 1 3 year old for the tune of $175!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe that if this is going to be the case, this is the absolute last time I'll be doing it.

Thursdays and Fridays are typically the busiest nights for the MVMCP. There are plenty of discounted weeknights (and Sundays), which aren't as busy. I don't think there is a single Friday or Saturday that is discounted.

Rabflmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatouille

Could not agree more.

>>>>>>>

The party has changed from the days when it was only offered 1 or 2 nights in December to a very limited number of guests. It was very special back then. We treasure our family pictures from our trips when the kids were small-never waited in line for over a half hour either. I think the thing is that to people who weren't there those first years really won't know what they are missing. They will still have a blast.

Personally I think the fireworks are 100% better at the parties now.

If I remember correctly the first parties didn't start till 9 PM and lasted till 1 or 2 in the morning. Our youngest always missed the Christmas parade and Santa.

I am going this year and will still have a wonderful time experiencing Christmas at the MK with my family. Florida Christmas's are just not as "Christmassy" as Christmas in the cold, snowy Northern states and by going to MVMCP my husband and I get a little feeling of the Christmases we had as kids up North.

So to the poster who was worried that they wouldn't get their money's worth I say go and have a blast----- while waiting for the parade get some hot chocolate and a funnel cake and enjoy. ( our tradition instead of the cookies) :)

ErickainPA

It's nice to see, because of the 2 different shows, but otherwise you get bubble snow and see the Christmas parade they show during the day. If you had to scrape for the trip and the time already, use money you would spend to attend the party for things you really want, buy yourselves some gifts with it instead of hitting the party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom