Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

havoc315

I shouldn't have said current -- I meant normal operations; not COVID ops. A VQ system would actually be more likely to work under COVID because of park capacity restrictions.
Having a VQ ride at DHS hasn't destroyed DHS. Having a handful of VQ rides has not destroyed UNI.
I don't believe having 2 VQ rides per park (3 or 4 at MK) will destroy the operations at those parks either.

Also could be used as a major on-site perk. Maybe on-site guests can use a short standby line, and off-site guests are limited to the VQ.
Or on-site guests get priority in reserving a VQ.

flutas

And spread the anxiety level that is already at ridiculous levels for Rise to all the other e-tickets. Doesn't sound like a vacation to me, but I think what you describe could well be it.

Merlin was the most powerful wizard after all, maybe he will teach guests to think with money magic. I do think the quick description on the unofficial wiki fits the whole concept very well.

He is the most powerful wizard that tasks himself in educating a young boy named Arthur. Though wise in his own right, Merlin's absentmindedness tends to complicate his teachings.

And I assume if you pay for Genie, you’ll get notified of the drops, or even automatically get given a spot in the VQ if you pay for the highest level, depending what preferences you’ve given Genie.

So those that wanted all stand-by lines have kinda got what they wished for.

The pay-to-play component is Genie. The big question then becomes can you get a VQ slot without paying? Maybe you only get a shot at a VQ if there are any spaces left after those that have paid get allocated one. Those people that pay for Genie get first shot at one, with remaining places opening up if there are any left.

I'll take some of the guess work out, but add in my own speculation.

Disney seems to be adding a "recommendation" engine to MDE, under the code name Merlin.

From what I can gather (this is a mix of speculation and facts based on the code I've seen)...

There will be multiple times throughout the day when queues will "open" similar to ROTR drop times. You will have a certain number (adjustable from the backend) of "priority experiences" that you can set, what setting them does I'm not exactly sure. I'd speculate that it gives you advanced warning, or maybe guaranteed entry to the queue. These virtual queues seem to be cloned from the ROTR queue system, fully themeable to match whatever they want it to.

Combined with a few other items I've seen floating around, and I think Genie will essentially be a gateway for virtual queues that everyone will have access to.

Genie+ will be the pay to play system, and will have additional park hours as well.

This is all based on stuff I've seen for MDE, but as I'm sure we all know... Disney loves to change plans.

To complicate matters though, is another feature I've been seeing references to inside MDE "Magic Access" but maybe I'll save that for another rainy day.

Quick edit since I know it will probably come up: HKDL uses Magic Access for their AP program, but this is something new. In a similar system setup as FastPasses.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Having a VQ ride at DHS hasn't destroyed DHS. Having a handful of VQ rides has not destroyed UNI.
I don't believe having 2 VQ rides per park (3 or 4 at MK) will destroy the operations at those parks either.

Also could be used as a major on-site perk. Maybe on-site guests can use a short standby line, and off-site guests are limited to the VQ.
Or on-site guests get priority in reserving a VQ.

I didn't say it would destroy operations, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't make the overall guest experience worse for the majority of guests (much like FP+). Longer lines at every ride and busier shops/pathways (it shouldn't make much of a difference at the restaurants because they're generally fully booked months in advance anyways).

Limiting it to only 2 or 3 would certainly be better than turning everything into VQ (which would be impossible) or even all headlining attractions, but I can't see it being a positive thing for the vast majority of people.

KikoKea

And spread the anxiety level that is already at ridiculous levels for Rise to all the other e-tickets. Doesn't sound like a vacation to me, but I think what you describe could well be it.
Exactly. We were able to get a BP for RoR during a recent visit, but it was not a pleasant experience. I heard plenty of people complaining immediately after, as we all stood around staring at our phones, about there being no passes available. At least with a standby line, you can get on any ride, if you are up to a long wait. But, if it's a gamble whether or not I can ride my favorites, I'll think twice before going and will probably look elsewhere to spend my money, instead of our 3 or 4 yearly visits, plus After Hours and parties we usually attend.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, obviously, the answer is to have Virtual Queues for all the shops. And for restaurants. Oh, wait, they already have that, it's called 'reservations.'

;)
But Disney's plan seems to be to cut crowds back to 2009 levels while making 2019 amounts of money. There's only one way to do that...

1620084639504.png

LaughingGravy

A “Pay-to-play” model isn’t one that fits a theme park very well. Or at all. Maybe someone should let the Bob’s know that? Or are we too far down the “charge for anything and everything road to make more revenue for our most important people, the large shareholders” already?
Oh, that ship sailed with Capt. Hook at the wheel years ago, the moment they shut down the MK early for a Not So Scary Halloween Party and kicked out the guests who paid the same price for a full day as the people from the previous day who were permitted to stay and ride until closing time. See?
hookship.jpg

TrojanUSC

The baffling thing to me is why people keep thinking Genie is still around and hasn't gone the way of Hyperion Wharf, the Main Street Theater and Beastly Kingdom.

Touchdown

I just can’t see them putting all etickets on a virtual queue that is tantamount to admitting a general admission ticket does not guarantee a ride on the parks best rides. They already have a huge amount of complaints about RotR and that’s one new ride. Can you imagine a family being told they can’t do any MK mountains? I don’t see how people would accept that.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I just can’t see them putting all etickets on a virtual queue that is tantamount to admitting a general admission ticket does not guarantee a ride on the parks best rides. They already have a huge amount of complaints about RotR and that’s one new ride. Can you imagine a family being told they can’t do any MK mountains? I don’t see how people would accept that.

It wouldn't be replacing standby though. If you want to wait in line, wait in line.

Even with FP+ you were absolutely not guaranteed a FP to the big rides. How many people complained here about no FP available for FoP?!? Tons. Those that couldn't get that FP waited in line. Sounds like the genie world be the same

DisneyDreamerxyz

it's crazy to me Universal has the Express system and Sea World has Quick Que and Disney has never charged for Fast Pass. Just reminds me how generous Disney has been..... I sell tickets in hotel lobbies for a third party company and Disney would make so much money if they charged for it.

TTA94

So the days of everyone being glued to their phones all day long constantly refreshing in hopes of someone else canceling their FPs is over? Lol 🤣. For me as long as it doesn’t make things even more complicated for local APs, then whatever. Well and id like it to be easier to add others to your chosen FPs.

UNCgolf

So the days of everyone being glued to their phones all day long constantly refreshing in hopes of someone else canceling their FPs is over? Lol 🤣. For me as long as it doesn’t make things even more complicated for local APs, then whatever. Well and id like it to be easier to add others to your chosen FPs.

I think that's an operational issue. If everyone booked a FP for themselves, and then later wanted to add 2 or 3 people to it, suddenly there are way too many FPs given out for a specific time period and the FP line would end up with a significant wait.

TTA94

I think that's an operational issue. If everyone booked a FP for themselves, and then later wanted to add 2 or 3 people to it, suddenly there are way too many FPs given out for a specific time period and the FP line would end up with a significant wait.

Understandable. But perhaps in a paid form this could work? Of course the price to add 1 or 2 people to your existing FP would need to be on the larger side, otherwise everyone will easily do it and there rises the wait time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
it's crazy to me Universal has the Express system and Sea World has Quick Que and Disney has never charged for Fast Pass. Just reminds me how generous Disney has been..... I sell tickets in hotel lobbies for a third party company and Disney would make so much money if they charged for it.
FP+ at 30 days out is free.

FP+ at 60 days out requires staying at a Disney (and select friends of Disney) Resort and paying a premium for the perks that come with it.

Club Level rooms allows one to buy extra FPs.

A VIP Tour is pretty much unlimited FP.

So 'enhanced' FP is available for a price.

TrojanUSC

FP+ at 60 days out requires staying at a Disney (and select friends of Disney) Resort and paying a premium for the perks that come with it.

The VIP Tour, as it existed prior to COVID, was such an inferior product's to Universal, too. They force tour guests to wait in the FP+ lines which could be 30+ minutes for some attractions (factoring in pre-shows), rather than taking them right onto the rides as Universal did. Ridiculous when someone is paying $700/hour.

At least with no FP now the tours get on much quicker.

jinx8402

Also, with the ability to book for up to 10 days after check-in when staying on site, they encouraged longer stays that help get those harder to get FP.

Jon81uk

A “Pay-to-play” model isn’t one that fits a theme park very well.
the original Disneyland opened with a pay to play model. Going back to ticket books would actually work very well for crowd distribution as you are then limited on how many E tickets you can ride and it encourages guests to seek out the A tickets as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom