Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'll respectfully disagree. We paid 32k for DVC points, and pay over 1.5k per year for "maintenance" fees.

I think that if any park goer that pays something to them every year, whether they go annually or not, deserves some sort of beni.
Sorry, but no. If you bought into DVC because of possible perks, then you bought in for the wrong reason. The one and only reason to buy DVC is to save on your resort cost. Nothing else.

@nickys is correct. According to Florida timeshare laws, the dues can only be used to cover the cost of running the resort, plus contingencies for upgrades and weather.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But I do agree that WDW should have a loyalty points program based on spend...seems like a no-brainer.
And how would they pay for that? Dues cover resort costs and nothing else. The perks like discounted APs come out of the DVC budget, not dues. Same with the Moonlight Magic events.

There is already a 2 tier system between blue card holders like us, and those who purchased resale recently, and don’t get any perks at all.

homerdance

I believe the annual dues can legally only cover the running costs of the resort. There is no way Disney can make a profit from the annual dues.
Disney is allowed to make a profit, it must be modest. And the dues help subsidize the “deluxe” resorts. Those dues pay for things like transportation and up keep off the savanna at AKL. But to your point, buying into DVC got you a place to stay and things that are guaranteed in the contract. Nothing else. Not keeping DVC members could be problematic so it’s in Disneys interest to keep them happy.

runnsally

And how would they pay for that? Dues cover resort costs and nothing else. The perks like discounted APs come out of the DVC budget, not dues. Same with the Moonlight Magic events.

There is already a 2 tier system between blue card holders like us, and those who purchased resale recently, and don’t get any perks at all.
I wasn’t referring to DVC specifically, but a loyalty program based on spend more generally.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'll respectfully disagree. We paid 32k for DVC points, and pay over 1.5k per year for "maintenance" fees.

I think that if any park goer that pays something to them every year, whether they go annually or not, deserves some sort of beni.

You got a blue card? You get APs at Florida resident rates, discounts on merchandise and food, discounts on tickets for tours and special events (Halloween and Christmas parties), early registration for runDisney races, member only events at parks and member only "club" at Epcot. What MORE do you want?

I paid a lot more than $32K for all my points and my dues are nearly triple yours. Those maintenance fees are prescribed by both your contract and Florida law as you own a condoized leasehold.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Um, lol, how does that negate the fact that we still pay Disney money every year whether we go or not?

Because, under Florida law, you now own a condoized leasehold and thus can be charged for costs rated to upkeep of common areas...whether you use your leasehold or not. The reason DVC members aren't paying $35 a night to park at a DVC resort is because our contracts prohibit us paying twice.

SteveAZee

You have a huge Beni — lodging every year. The beni you paid for.
DVC membership has never been entitled to extra fastpasses.
When I joined DVC in 1993, we had free park passes while on property. The perk ended around the turn of the millennia. Perks like that (and others) are considered secondary benefits and can disappear at Disney's discretion.

LAKid53

Premium Member
But I do agree that WDW should have a loyalty points program based on spend...seems like a no-brainer.

DVC members get discounts on tours and event tickets, merchandise and food. And I've paid for 50 years of resort rooms.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's a contract. You agreed to those payments. The fact you couldn't go to the timeshare isn't Disney's fault or responsibility. Not trying to be harsh, but those are terms you agreed to. If I have a car loan and a situation renders me unable to drive for a period of time I can't just call the bank and say "I shouldn't have to pay because I was unable to drive the vehicle". And they won't send me floormats in the mail.

I'm going to Europe for 3 months...think I'll tell my HOA I'm going to prorate my HOA dues as I won't be using my home for 3 months. Think I'll get a notice in the mail and a threat to put a lien on my property in response.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wasn’t referring to DVC specifically, but a loyalty program based on spend more generally.

Want a loyalty program? Purchase a home in Golden Oak. Lots of perks. But you'd better have $3M+ for a 4K square foot home on a 1/4 acre (if even that) lot. And lots of restrictions and probably sky high HOA dues.

nickys

Premium Member
Disney is allowed to make a profit, it must be modest. And the dues help subsidize the “deluxe” resorts. Those dues pay for things like transportation and up keep off the savanna at AKL. But to your point, buying into DVC got you a place to stay and things that are guaranteed in the contract. Nothing else. Not keeping DVC members could be problematic so it’s in Disneys interest to keep them happy.
They contribute to the shared running costs of the deluxe resorts, sure. I don’t see that as a subsidy, they are sharing facilities and they share the cost based on relative maximum occupancy.

havoc315

They contribute to the shared running costs of the deluxe resorts, sure. I don’t see that as a subsidy, they are sharing facilities and they share the cost based on relative maximum occupancy.

Correct, for "shared amenities" -- DVC dues pay a contractual proportion. It's not like BCV owners pay the full cost of Stormalong Bay, to the benefit of non-DVC guests.

homerdance

You are 100% correct. And wasn't disputing that. My point, if a cost is fixed, like the grounds, having 1/3 of that cost offset by DVC dues is a net gain for Disney. If it costs $100 to run the pool for an hour, it costs that no matter what or who is using it.

zweltar

You are 100% correct. And wasn't disputing that. My point, if a cost is fixed, like the grounds, having 1/3 of that cost offset by DVC dues is a net gain for Disney. If it costs $100 to run the pool for an hour, it costs that no matter what or who is using it.
So if the pool is being used by JUST DVC members (or anything greater than 1/3), is Disney then subsidizing DVC?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom