Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

Kman101

You know what sucks up crowds? Adding attractions. People-eaters preferred. Magic Kingdom has far fewer attractions than Disneyland. It needs 5 more yesterday.

FastPass wasn’t aimed at solving overcrowding but to get people to spend more. It helped cause overcrowding.

FP+/MM+ did spend gobs of money trying to move crowds around hoping it would decrease the need for more attractions. Didn’t work as intended. New attractions are being built.

Disney claims surge prices are to ease overcrowding. I’m sure it is to some extent. But most American families have little flexibility in their vacation dates. They are tied to school schedules. Also: if your dream is to spend a family Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. at Disney, the week before is not the same. You’ll pay more and profit is a by-product Disney has learned to live with.

Edit: I just want to reiterate: that doesnt mean I think Disney’s current strategy Is just “being evil.”

Exactly, that's the problem. The MK does still need more. But the other three parks really do need to up their attraction count in a very bad way too. They've put themselves in this position by stagnating. It's sad we're still talking about how much more they need when they're spending a ton of money on things now, and not to negate the spending (as someone will no doubt remind me they're spending money now), but they really needed to be doing this all along ... I just hope it continues past 2021/2023 (whenever Epcot is "finished") ...

PorterRedkey

Ah, but the problem with adding a few B/C to MK is that you'll just make MK more ride-heavy than the other three. The other three will still have less than 10 rides each, but MK will jump to over 30. At some point, the sheer number of rides is an attractor in and of itself. Adding more rides to MK means people will make MK a 'several day park' while the other three remain a 'one day park.'

Need to get the other three to be as attractive as the MK before adding onto the MK.

IMO.
Yeah, if the other 3 parks had 15-20 rides each it would be harder for families to skip them for another day at MK.

Kman101

Ah, but the problem with adding a few B/C to MK is that you'll just make MK more ride-heavy than the other three. The other three will still have less than 10 rides each, but MK will jump to over 30. At some point, the sheer number of rides is an attractor in and of itself. Adding more rides to MK means people will make MK a 'several day park' while the other three remain a 'one day park.'

Need to get the other three to be as attractive as the MK before adding onto the MK.

IMO.

Yes, that's very true. But the sad reality is, the MK does need more. Just not before the other parks beef up their lineup. They're in a tough spot, actually. The MK truly does need some more things to do. That Theater would have gone a long way towards capacity without truly being a 'draw' but then again, like you said, everyone crowds the MK anyway so it's almost no benefit ... it's a tough spot to be in.

olie64

Yes, that's very true. But the sad reality is, the MK does need more. Just not before the other parks beef up their lineup. They're in a tough spot, actually. The MK truly does need some more things to do. That Theater would have gone a long way towards capacity without truly being a 'draw' but then again, like you said, everyone crowds the MK anyway so it's almost no benefit ... it's a tough spot to be in.

Did we ever learn they cancelled it? I sure money but where did that money go?

Kman101

I don't think we ever really heard. If we did, I missed it. I think some were hinting at the money going elsewhere but we don't really know how true that is. Was it sent to DHS for McQueen's Racing Screens? Are we getting a theater anywhere else? It felt like a budget cut but we were swiftly told it wasn't. I don't know that we ever found out. I hate tagging the insiders and bothering them so hopefully someone chimes in. Not that my opinion matters to them, but I think it was a mistake to cancel the Theater. I guess it could always be revisited in the future. And to be fair, I'd rather they upgrade and do something with the three shows in Hollywood Studios that really need some attention ... but it shouldn't be one or the other ...

disneyflush

I've been surprised at the amount of ads I've seen up here in Indiana on TV advertising for Walt Disney World in the last few months. It feels desperate in a way we on here know they are not based on crowd levels.

Side note 1: At what point does marketing under (sometimes) false pretenses (near empty parks, free roaming characters, etc) cross into a gray area where first time guests start asking for refunds based off of these expectations and then arriving to massive crowds and 30 minute waits to see certain characters? Its far-fetched but the recent crowd levels next to the near empty parks in commercials makes the difference really stark if those commercials, in isolation, make some actually schedule a trip.

Side Note 2: Also makes me wonder if WDW really even needs to market anymore? If they full stopped marketing for the next 12 months would they even notice?

olie64

I've been surprised at the amount of ads I've seen up here in Indiana on TV advertising for Walt Disney World in the last few months. It feels desperate in a way we on here know they are not based on crowd levels.

Side note 1: At what point does marketing under (sometimes) false pretenses (near empty parks, free roaming characters, etc) cross into a gray area where first time guests start asking for refunds based off of these expectations and then arriving to massive crowds and 30 minute waits to see certain characters? Its far-fetched but the recent crowd levels next to the near empty parks in commercials makes the difference really stark if those commercials, in isolation, make some actually schedule a trip.

Side Note 2: Also makes me wonder if WDW really even needs to market anymore? If they full stopped marketing for the next 12 months would they even notice?

Hello fellow Hoosier. Yeah there been a ton lately.

1- Yeah it always make me laugh seeing it so empty.

2- I doubt it would have much effect.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Thinking about it - one thing the other 3 parks need besides more rides in general is more stuff for young kids to do. MK has that in abundance. When we were there in Feb - if we went on 7DMT, we rider swapped and one of us took our DS1 to ride the carousel. If we went on BTM or Splash, we took DS1 to the little playground by the train station. He really enjoyed Pooh, Small World, etc. MK has a lot for little kids, so it draws that whole demographic back more than once. That's lacking at the other parks, especially DHS, and to a lesser extent, AK and Epcot.

RSoxNo1

The solution to the Magic Kingdom's capacity issues are it's poor use of space around Fantasyland. It's been addressed by myself and others on here, but the Tomorrowland Speedway and it's a small world would be better suited elsewhere on property to allow for quite a bit more attraction capacity on their footprints (or in the case of small world, adjacent footprints).

Kman101

Thinking about it - one thing the other 3 parks need besides more rides in general is more stuff for young kids to do. MK has that in abundance. When we were there in Feb - if we went on 7DMT, we rider swapped and one of us took our DS1 to ride the carousel. If we went on BTM or Splash, we took DS1 to the little playground by the train station. He really enjoyed Pooh, Small World, etc. MK has a lot for little kids, so it draws that whole demographic back more than once. That's lacking at the other parks, especially DHS, and to a lesser extent, AK and Epcot.

Well, hopefully the Play Pavilion incorporates some interactive things for the kids. Epcot has the barebones playground ;) it's a start ... and there's always splash pads ;) but seriously, I do agree they could use a few more things. I do think they need to draw from the MK, but IMO, the parks are about experiencing things together (and not saying there shouldn't be things for certain demographics while others sit out, that's fine). Some more dark rides would really be beneficial ... a few flat rides strategically placed (TSL missed the boat on this one big time ...) ... that's why I never agreed with folks calling Slinky "Barnstormer" (it is not) and calling TSL a kids land. Where's the playground? Interactive features? Heck they couldn't even give kids a splash pad. Lots of missed opportunities here ... That's why I often say they do the bare minimum. They could have really 'filled out' TSL ...

And you can take your kid to Club Disney Junior or McQueen's now. Mermaid. Beauty and the Beast ...

Kman101

The solution to the Magic Kingdom's capacity issues are it's poor use of space around Fantasyland. It's been addressed by myself and others on here, but the Tomorrowland Speedway and it's a small world would be better suited elsewhere on property to allow for quite a bit more attraction capacity on their footprints (or in the case of small world, adjacent footprints).

And while it would take more work then they'd want to spend, let's also not pretend they can't actually expand still without replacing, but I've always agreed with you on moving Small World and the Speedway ...

PorterRedkey

Exactly, that's the problem. The MK does still need more. But the other three parks really do need to up their attraction count in a very bad way too. They've put themselves in this position by stagnating. It's sad we're still talking about how much more they need when they're spending a ton of money on things now, and not to negate the spending (as someone will no doubt remind me they're spending money now), but they really needed to be doing this all along ... I just hope it continues past 2021/2023 (whenever Epcot is "finished") ...
I think MK needed a new E-ticket, but I don't know if Tron was the answer. The other parks are in need of major additions. DHS should be first up since SW:GE will create all kinds of capacity problems. Epcot is getting some love but could use more. AK is a park that is ripe for additions. AK especially needs them if they want the park to thrive later into the day.

I think day-of MaxPass should come to WDW. Shift FP to only the rides that really need it and eliminate or severely reduce FPs booked prior to entering the park. It appears to be working at DL. However, Disney may feel that by adding more e-ticket attractions (Tron, RotR, MF:SR, Rat, TRON, GotG) that they can still offer pre-day FP's.

PorterRedkey

That's a great point. As a person who is childless, it is just me and my wife. I sometimes forget how children affect the parks that are attended most. Although, I think babies like SSE at Epcot because the last few times I rode it I could hear them "enjoying" it throughout my ride. 😐

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well, hopefully the Play Pavilion incorporates some interactive things for the kids. Epcot has the barebones playground ;) it's a start ... and there's always splash pads ;) but seriously, I do agree they could use a few more things. I do think they need to draw from the MK, but IMO, the parks are about experiencing things together (and not saying there shouldn't be things for certain demographics while others sit out, that's fine). Some more dark rides would really be beneficial ... a few flat rides strategically placed (TSL missed the boat on this one big time ...) ... that's why I never agreed with folks calling Slinky "Barnstormer" (it is not) and calling TSL a kids land. Where's the playground? Interactive features? Heck they couldn't even give kids a splash pad. Lots of missed opportunities here ... That's why I often say they do the bare minimum. They could have really 'filled out' TSL ...

And you can take your kid to Club Disney Junior or McQueen's now. Mermaid. Beauty and the Beast ...
Shows are actually pretty tough for a 1 year old. McQueens is a decent option now. I wouldn't subject my 1 year old to Club Disney Jr. The old show was much better for young kids IMO.

Yes to more family dark rides. And there's a place for splash pads, playgrounds, etc. Sometimes kids just need to run around a little. MK has a lot of that.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's a great point. As a person who is childless, it is just me and my wife. I sometimes forget how children affect the parks that are attended most. Although, I think babies like SSE at Epcot because the last few times I rode it I could hear them "enjoying" it throughout my ride. 😐
When we first took my son on SSE this Feb. (he had gone on the year before at 10 mos but slept through it) he kept saying "all done, all done!". But that was really his first park day. After he got used to rides, we went on SSE again towards the end of our trip and he really liked it.

I hear you. Went for years with just my wife and I. Going with kids is a whole different ballgame.

Kman101

Shows are actually pretty tough for a 1 year old. McQueens is a decent option now. I wouldn't subject my 1 year old to Club Disney Jr. The old show was much better for young kids IMO.

Yes to more family dark rides. And there's a place for splash pads, playgrounds, etc. Sometimes kids just need to run around a little. MK has a lot of that.

Well, of course it depends on the age ;) I wasn't necessarily taking that into account when making suggestions. But I do agree they could add a lot more. I have no problem with splash pads and playgrounds. Not sure why they didn't put one in TSL. I mean, the park for 20 years had a Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. Um ... hello ... lol, duplicate it in TSL! Where's the splash pad? At least Epcot has a playground and a tiny splashpad ... lol

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

According to @marni1971, MK Theater money went to other unmentioned MK project(s) but not the monorail nor Stitch replacement. Also, insiders hinted there were other issues with the MK Theater's placement. Of course, if one were to check out the links in my sig, I have an idea about MK theaters and people eating and hub-de-crowding.

RSoxNo1

And while it would take more work then they'd want to spend, let's also not pretend they can't actually expand still without replacing, but I've always agreed with you on moving Small World and the Speedway ...
How about Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress? Heck, if there was a spot for Jungle Cruise in DAK I'd be on board with that moving as well.

The current Disney focus is on Movie Based IP. It dictates the year one marketing push and beyond that occasionally results in sustained popularity independent of attraction quality. The thing they're not doing is considering the park specific IP they have, most of which is centralized in the Magic Kingdom.

We often lament that "characters belong here..." and usually "here" is the Magic Kingdom. One could argue that the opposite is also true, "non-character things belong here..." and "here" is "Not the Magic Kingdom". I recognize that it shouldn't be that cut and dry, but I think there are circumstances when these types of logical decisions can be made. With Tomorrowland and Future World for example you have two lands whose origins were largely about futurism and in many respects contained interchangeable attractions. Perhaps a movie vs non-movie based attraction distinction would solve this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom