Vegan at Walt Disney World - Nov 2018

WDWMPrincess

Ok it looks like this thread got derailed somewhere. Not going to bother reading it all because that'll just be minutes I can't get back. Posting to follow any useful information presented because some of my family has gone vegetarian for reasons. I've been researching and from what I've read so far on this there are a lot of vegan and even more vegetarian options in Disney. A couple that surprised me is Biergarten has a number of vegan options and Be Our Guest's onion soup is purported to be vegan if ordered minus the cheese. Tofutti and vegetable burgers are available in a number of locations throughout the parks as well.

PeoplemoverTTA

Ok it looks like this thread got derailed somewhere. Not going to bother reading it all because that'll just be minutes I can't get back. Posting to follow any useful information presented because some of my family has gone vegetarian for reasons. I've been researching and from what I've read so far on this there are a lot of vegan and even more vegetarian options in Disney. A couple that surprised me is Biergarten has a number of vegan options and Be Our Guest's onion soup is purported to be vegan if ordered minus the cheese. Tofutti and vegetable burgers are available in a number of locations throughout the parks as well.

I have heard great things about Biergarten as well, so my husband and I booked lunch there for our trip in August (lots of great salads, veggies, etc and my favorite - pretzel bread :)). Tofutti and Rice Dream ice cream are both available in the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor and the peanut butter topping is vegan as well.

A great option in the Magic Kingdom is at Pecos Bills: Get the vegetable bowl (sub plain rice for vegans), then load up on toppings from the toppings bar. It's really good (too bad the guacamole isn't on the bar anymore, though).

Also, DHS now has a veggie 7-layer bowl at Fairfax Faire and veggie nachos (just get no cheese and sour cream - they typically load them up with guac and salsa for me) at Min & Bills Dockside Diner (PizzeRizzo also has vegan cheese available and their pizzas aren't bad).

WDWMPrincess

I have heard great things about Biergarten as well, so my husband and I booked lunch there for our trip in August (lots of great salads, veggies, etc and my favorite - pretzel bread :)). Tofutti and Rice Dream ice cream are both available in the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor and the peanut butter topping is vegan as well.

A great option in the Magic Kingdom is at Pecos Bills: Get the vegetable bowl (sub plain rice for vegans), then load up on toppings from the toppings bar. It's really good (too bad the guacamole isn't on the bar anymore, though).

Also, DHS now has a veggie 7-layer bowl at Fairfax Faire and veggie nachos (just get no cheese and sour cream - they typically load them up with guac and salsa for me) at Min & Bills Dockside Diner (PizzeRizzo also has vegan cheese available and their pizzas aren't bad).

Thank you! Saddens me to hear the guac is gone on Pecos Bill's toppings bar. Love me some guac! I had not heard about the Dockside Diner. We may try that. I've read PizzeRizzo's has Enjoy LIfe cookies if you ask. My daughter says a bunch of the grab and go snacks like siracha kettle corn, pretzels, and sweet chili tortilla chips are vegan, too.

PeoplemoverTTA

Thank you! Saddens me to hear the guac is gone on Pecos Bill's toppings bar. Love me some guac! I had not heard about the Dockside Diner. We may try that. I've read PizzeRizzo's has Enjoy LIfe cookies if you ask. My daughter says a bunch of the grab and go snacks like siracha kettle corn, pretzels, and sweet chili tortilla chips are vegan, too.

Omg my husband and I are OBSESSED with the Sriracha kettle corn! Two years ago we snacked our way across world showcase and had a blast. Italy even had yummy gummies specifically labeled vegan 👍

higgipoker

PizzeRizzo also has vegan cheese available and their pizzas aren't bad.

Friendly disagreement here. As of summer 2017 at least, we were so disappointed with PizzeRizzo. Apart from our order getting lost in the wind somewhere and having to speak with a manager twice over the course of an hour or more waiting for our Pizzas, OK happens sometimes, I don't blame them for the odd hiccup like this, but the meal was just so bad when it finally arrived.

Awfully bland, tiny pizza, a few dry lettuce leaves in a plastic drinks cup and the driest, most tasteless cookies I have ever had!

It's a shame because I love the location and theming of the restaurant. Love the atmosphere on the balcony looking down on the park, love a good vegan Pizza and really wanted to like this restaurant. Unfortunately it was just awful. :( Along with Prime Time (which I also REALLY wanted to like), the only dining experiences I can say that were truly horrid.

Has anything changed, anyone want to have a go at convincing me to give them a second chance in 2018? :D

PeoplemoverTTA

Friendly disagreement here. As of summer 2017 at least, we were so disappointed with PizzeRizzo. Apart from our order getting lost in the wind somewhere and having to speak with a manager twice over the course of an hour or more waiting for our Pizzas, OK happens sometimes, I don't blame them for the odd hiccup like this, but the meal was just so bad when it finally arrived.

Awfully bland, tiny pizza, a few dry lettuce leaves in a plastic drinks cup and the driest, most tasteless cookies I have ever had!

It's a shame because I love the location and theming of the restaurant. Love the atmosphere on the balcony looking down on the park, love a good vegan Pizza and really wanted to like this restaurant. Unfortunately it was just awful. :( Along with Prime Time (which I also REALLY wanted to like), the only dining experiences I can say that were truly horrid.

Has anything changed, anyone want to have a go at convincing me to give them a second chance in 2018? :D

Oh bummer, sorry to hear. We had a nice meal there in August 2016. That being said, I don't have very high expectations, lol!

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I personally am I huge fan of meat-like food replacements, me and my partner eat a lot at home such as Quorn, soya products, so the impossible burger is high up on my list. Last year I struggled at Disney but it seems that thier veggie & vegan options seem to be getting better and better! One of my faves last year was the tofu bowl from QS in Pandora and I LOVED the fried green tomato burger at Rosie's (not sure if this is vegan/can be made vegan though).

GiantAlbion

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I personally am I huge fan of meat-like food replacements, me and my partner eat a lot at home such as Quorn, soya products, so the impossible burger is high up on my list. Last year I struggled at Disney but it seems that thier veggie & vegan options seem to be getting better and better! One of my faves last year was the tofu bowl from QS in Pandora and I LOVED the fried green tomato burger at Rosie's (not sure if this is vegan/can be made vegan though).
The last time I went to the canteen in Pandora, a manager brought out a book that listed every ingredient in all of their menu items. They probably have them at all of the restaurants; I just asked what was vegan, and they brought out the book!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Last I checked you could buy a small cup of guac.

higgipoker

I guess I could google it, but what is the difference between Vegan and Vegetarian?

Thx

Vegetarians don't eat animal flesh. Vegans don't eat flesh, eggs or dairy (or anything else that comes from an animal). That's basically it, though strictly speaking I think "Vegan" refers to more than just a persons diet. It normally signifies a moral stance on animal welfare, so vegans don't wear leather shoes, jackets or support anything that involves the exploitation of animals.

dreamfinder

The last time I went to the canteen in Pandora, a manager brought out a book that listed every ingredient in all of their menu items. They probably have them at all of the restaurants; I just asked what was vegan, and they brought out the book!

All CS locations have "the book". Typically it's meant for allergies, but as you found can also be helpful to identify animal sources.

I guess I could google it, but what is the difference between Vegan and Vegetarian?

@higgipoker was fairly accurate. Vegan is usually viewed as more a lifestyle, and avoids things like honey (animal by product) and using leather. The definitions are little flexible, but the Vegetarian Society says
"A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, fungi, algae, yeast and/or some other non-animal-based foods (e.g. salt) with, or without, dairy products, honey and/or eggs. A vegetarian does not eat foods that consist of, or have been produced with the aid of products consisting of or created from, any part of the body of a living or dead animal. This includes meat, poultry, fish, shellfish*, insects, by-products of slaughter** or any food made with processing aids created from these."
They further classify vegetarians into 4 sub categories, lacto-ovo (what most people think of as vegetarian that eats dairy and eggs), lacto (dairy only), ovo (eggs only), and vegan (avoids all animal by products).

It gets really sticky if you think about things like gelatin, isinglass, rennet and white sugar. Sources aren't always labeled and aren't something most people think about.

higgipoker

Believe it or not, we had more than a handful of servers who didn't understand what "vegan" meant. Specifying "vegetarian plus no dairy plus no egg" seemed to help...

I do concede, however, that it might just have been my accent! :p

PeoplemoverTTA

Where are you staying during your trip? A few years ago we were at POP (and now we typically stay there anyway), and were verifying something on the menu was vegan when a chef came out -- Chef Michael. He was SO nice. He gave me his card, and told me to email him a month or so before our next trip and he would be sure to stock vegan nuggets and other food (just let him know what we like) and he would be sure to have some (he had some extras at the time that he picked up for another Guest). I was blown away at how awesome he was! You may be able to reach a chef at your hotel on property and request the same thing - I'm sure you could just call the hotel directly (you can find direct numbers through Google). I'm always super grateful and shower CMs with thanks when they go above and beyond (I also always send an email to Guest Services to give them credit). I feel that the right approach goes a long way!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom