Vegan at Walt Disney World - Nov 2018

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
Where are you staying during your trip? A few years ago we were at POP (and now we typically stay there anyway), and were verifying something on the menu was vegan when a chef came out -- Chef Michael. He was SO nice. He gave me his card, and told me to email him a month or so before our next trip and he would be sure to stock vegan nuggets and other food (just let him know what we like) and he would be sure to have some (he had some extras at the time that he picked up for another Guest). I was blown away at how awesome he was! You may be able to reach a chef at your hotel on property and request the same thing - I'm sure you could just call the hotel directly (you can find direct numbers through Google). I'm always super grateful and shower CMs with thanks when they go above and beyond (I also always send an email to Guest Services to give them credit). I feel that the right approach goes a long way!
We're staying at AKL (I'm SO excited)! Thats an amazing idea, thank you. I booked through a TA though so Disney get a bit weird about talking to me, its bizarre.

GiantAlbion

Any reports on vegan options at Woody's Lunch Box yet? :)
From what I've read, the Grilled Cheese Sandwich can be made with vegan cheese (Daiya?). Also, the Tater Tots are vegan, and the Totchos (tater tot natchos) can be made with vegan chili and no cheese or sour cream. You have to request vegan for all but the Plain Tater Tots.

PeoplemoverTTA

From what I've read, the Grilled Cheese Sandwich can be made with vegan cheese (Daiya?). Also, the Tater Tots are vegan, and the Totchos (tater tot natchos) can be made with vegan chili and no cheese or sour cream. You have to request vegan for all but the Plain Tater Tots.

I'm almost positive the chili is the same chili used at Min & Bill's for the nachos and Fairfax Faire for the 7-layer bowl, which is already vegan. They've really been making use of it at DHS lately 👍

mj2v

Believe it or not, we had more than a handful of servers who didn't understand what "vegan" meant. Specifying "vegetarian plus no dairy plus no egg" seemed to help...

I do concede, however, that it might just have been my accent! :p

Been meat Free for a very long time. Borderline vegan but don’t call myself that.

I always find it better to not assume that someone knows what I eat. I am
Very clear in explaining what works and what doesn’t.

WDWMPrincess

Been meat Free for a very long time. Borderline vegan but don’t call myself that.

I always find it better to not assume that someone knows what I eat. I am
Very clear in explaining what works and what doesn’t.

My daughter and son-in-law like to research ahead when going out. There is so much information online these days. A lot of times servers are very appreciative since they already know what to ask for rather than having to ask them to go through bringing out someone from the kitchen. Not that there is anything wrong with asking for help from the kitchen, just it can save time and effort. They also don't say they're vegan just vegetarian, but that's because they let the grandchildren eat whatever they want when they go out. They mainly abstain from meat for health reasons, though.

mj2v

My daughter and son-in-law like to research ahead when going out. There is so much information online these days. A lot of times servers are very appreciative since they already know what to ask for rather than having to ask them to go through bringing out someone from the kitchen. Not that there is anything wrong with asking for help from the kitchen, just it can save time and effort. They also don't say they're vegan just vegetarian, but that's because they let the grandchildren eat whatever they want when they go out. They mainly abstain from meat for health reasons, though.

Depends on the server. We have had some who are knowledgeable, but we had to ask for a chef at Ale and Compass last week. Our server was awesome in every other way.

The chefs are much more knowledgeable, which makes sense.

higgipoker

I'm here to report that the vegan grilled cheese and totchos are wonderful! 😁

Also a new one for me : the cauliflower at the Golden oak outpost in MK is TO DIE FOR! 🙃

You can also get the cauli as one of your vegan taco fillings across the way at Pecos bill. Lovely! 👌

Edit: a disclaimer is in order, the cauli is SPICY hot hot hot 😎

Last edited:

WDWMPrincess

I'm here to report that the vegan grilled cheese and totchos are wonderful! 😁

Also a new one for me : the cauliflower at the Golden oak outpost in MK is TO DIE FOR! 🙃

You can also get the cauli as one of your vegan taco fillings across the way at Pecos bill. Lovely! 👌

Edit: a disclaimer I'd in order, the cauli is SPICY hot hot hot 😎

Thank you for the update. Especially the cauliflower. That sounds like something I'd love in my Pecos Bill's tacos. :)

PeoplemoverTTA

As a heads up, I would check on the cauliflower at Pecos Bill's. I've read that it's not actually vegan (I'll be in wdw in a few weeks and can request the allergy binder to see the ingredients - every counter service location has one so you can be 100% sure).

higgipoker

As a heads up, I would check on the cauliflower at Pecos Bill's. I've read that it's not actually vegan (I'll be in wdw in a few weeks and can request the allergy binder to see the ingredients - every counter service location has one so you can be 100% sure).

That would be disappointing, we did specifically ask the server at Pecos bill and he said they were OK for vegans.

WDWMPrincess

Thank you for offering to check into it! I will definitely be eagerly awaiting the information.

WDWMPrincess

Just wanted to post a link to this menu update for AK. Scrolling down a bit to the part about Harambe Market I saw this: "Roasted Vegetables with cauliflower, sweet potato, and chickpeas served over steamed rice with yogurt raita.". Wonder if it will be vegan if you ask them to leave off the yogurt whatever? It kind of looks to me like the yogurt might be cooked into the sauce but it never hurts to ask.

higgipoker

Just back from a 2 week vacation. On the whole it was wonderful but we do have one rather alarming incident to report.

ABC Commissary at Hollywood is one of our favorite food joints and we heard they had recently added the Beyond Burger to their menu so were looking forward to checking it out.

Now, coming from Europe we had no experience with the Beyond Burger and didn't know what to expect. Couple days before, in Epcot, we had what we guessed to be a Beyond Burger at the American pavilion QS. It was DELICIOUS!

Anyway, on inspecting our vegan burger at ABC, it was completely different, looked more like a "traditional" thin burger you'd get in McDonalds and tasted distinctively meaty, if a bit bland and rubbery.

OK, we'd read that the Beyond Burger was trying to replicate the look and texture of a real meat burger. Perhaps the one we had at Epcot wasn't a Beyond Burger, but some other kind of plant based alternative (it was a big, thick, juicy patty). We had also heard reports of several different vegan burgers at Disney, and also that they switched up their burgers quite regularly depending on popularity and availability.

So we returned to ABC a few days later and ordered the vegan burger again to try to work out which one was in fact the Beyond Burger. This time we got the same burger as we'd had at Epcot, not the thin "meaty" patty! Eek.

So I guess ABC fed us meat. Not good.

We are more mellow and laid back than a lot of vegans, but for many people this is an absolutely horrendous, unforgivable, traumatizing error. In retrospect, we probably should have asked to speak to manager at the time to give them a heads up, but we favored waiting to write a letter when we got home. In truth, we still weren't quite sure what was going on and were a little bewildered. It seems clear, in retrospect, that they did indeed serve us the meat burger. It's a stretch to think that they changed their vegan patty in the 3 day window between visits. Ironically, as we were in a rush to get to the Boardwalk for a World Cup game, this was the only meal we didn't take a photo of!

As a vegan of 3 years, I have vague memories of real meat burgers so I was slightly suspicious, but not overly so on the first visit. My girlfriend, as a lifelong vegan however, would have been completely oblivious. She has no idea what a meat burger tastes like!

Has anyone else been served a thin, McDonalds style burger as a vegan burger?

dreamfinder

@higgipoker I can't speak to this specific instance, but I have gotten different style/brand veggie burgers at different locations at WDW. When it's a brand name, the menu usually plasters it on the menu. I've gotten Gardein products at WDW, and it's always said that in the description. And with the price mark up on retail for Beyond/Impossible Burgers (I think its usually $5 for 2 in the store around here while I can get other brands in a 4 pack for the same price) I'd really expect the name to be listed to justify the extra cost. But I've gotten Gardein at one CS location, while another around the corner just has "black bean burger" on the menu.

And yes, outside of WDW I've gotten some pretty sad looking thin burgers that were listed as vegan.

higgipoker

Yeah, it's on the menu simply as "Vegan Burger" and we were on the QS dining plan so didn't pay too much attention to prices :cool: I do remember seeing the "Beyond Burger" brand specifically named somewhere though (I think it was Lottawatta Lodge at Blizzard Beach).

I still think it unlikely, however, that ABC changed their patty in that 3 day window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom