Value/Stay Longer VS Mod/Leave Early, static budget!

DubyooDeeDubyoo

As everyone knows here, I'm sure, a mod resort costs quite a bit more than a value but provides things that a value just doesn't. But here's my situation: My budget is fixed. So what I'm looking at is 3 nights at a Moderate, or more nights (6?) at a value. I do not know what to choose!

Some things about my trip:
- DL vet going to WDW for the first time. I don't really need to see it all as much as I need to see the stuff that's never coming to Anaheim.
- Going during what's supposed to be a rather dead period (early Feb)
- Solo trip.

Booking POFQ (my choice for a mod) would mean a shorter trip, which at first feels counterproductive because I'd be less in the room and more trying to cram in sights. However, travelling alone and being there in an off-peak period would seem to work in my favor against that.

My concern with the values is this:

1. Bus service I've heard nasty things about the bus service at the values. Which resort you book can impact how long you're waiting around for a bus. I've heard nicer things about POP Century as a hotel compared to the AS group, but then I saw this post by Woody13 which gives me the impression I could be waiting longer for a bus at the Pop.

2. The Other Guests I'm a quiet person who mostly keeps to himself. I'm not a light sleeper, but I'll not get any sleep if I feel uncomfortable. I am concerned about being in a hotel with the wrong crowd, as Party Animals and/or Drunks rub off the wrong way with me, as well as a group that I can only define as Scary People, but I hope you know what I mean. That's unlikely to happen at a Disney resort to a degree, but am I that much more likely to find myself surrounded by folks with rough edges at the value resorts compared to a mod?

My mind is currently 65/35 in favor of the POFQ and a shorter trip, due to the fact that I may get lonely from a week of hanging around total strangers and I'll spend less on food (or spend the same amount of money and go to nicer restaurants than food courts.) OTOH, everyone I've seen talk about WDW promotes being there for a week to take it in.

Experience is needed here, I guess. What should I do?

pinjim

I've stayed at each level and the French Quarter for the price is great. Nice and quite and comfy. If it's your first time, to for the days and just take what comes. Since it's your first time then you have nothing from WDW to compare it too, so I'd take extra time and enjoy as much as you can since there's so much to do and see.
Never been to Pop Century, but have been at the other three, and Movies for whatever reason seemed the best for us.
As with everything, there's an upside and downside, but again, make your opinion based on your experience.
If you can swing it, I'd pick the Broadwalk if you're into Epcot, the Studios and the nighttime on BW, otherwise, pick French Quarter - it's close to MK and Epcot, along with Downtown Disney, (either bus or boat, which takes longer) and for the most part FQ is centrally located on the property.
Our kids love the pool more than any other, including the coaster slide at Broadwalk.
FQ food court is by far less noisy than the values, but that's because of the srear number of people.
Good luck and again, go for the more days, you'll not regret it.
Have fun!

Upvote 0

pinjim

Also,
Take a foldable cooler and buy snakes, milk stuff and eat in the room. Pack a box of cereal or two and eat that for breakfast and bedtime snack.
Eat one good meal and day and snack the other times.

Upvote 0

calidisneygirl

Welcome! I am a DL passholder and a frequent visitor to WDW. As someone who spent 3 days @ WDW on their first trip-- go value and stay longer. There is no comparison between DL and WDW. If you do stay in a moderate, you will go home and start saving every penny you can for your next trip, because 3 days is just too short. That's how I became addicted. Now we only stay for 10 days at a stretch.

Upvote 0

robhedin

Different view

Turning this around, we live here in FL and spend a lot of time at WDW, and this year we went to DL for the first time.

If you're a DL vet, 6 days is probably too long to spend at only WDW in february. There's a whole lot of duplicate attractions between the two resorts that if you've already been on them in Anaheim, you probably have no need to ride here: Buzz, Space Mountain, Pirates, Its tough to be a bug, Haunted Mansion, Tower of terror, etc... the DLR version of space mountain and pirates are much better than ours anyway-- although you may want to ride them just to get a feel for the differences. I pefer our HM, but the two are so similar its probably just a matter of taste. Shoot, even Fantasmic is very similar (I prefer yours), and the opening and closing of Remember... is Wishes.

As far as going to the water parks in early february? I really don't see that happening.

The differnces between Downtown Disney (Marketplace/Pleasure Island/West Side) are more of a scale thing with the exception of Cirque and the clubs. More shopping here, but California has a Rainforest Cafe, a Wolfgang Pucks, a House of Blues, and a Planet Hollywood somewhere I'm sure. Disney Quest seems to be kind of hit or miss depending on who you are.

Golf and Minigolf? Well, Wintersummerland and Fantasia minigolf really don't take that long to play, and it doesn't sound like you're coming here for the greens.

Don't get me wrong-- I love WDW and you will have a great time, but the differences between the two resorts tends to be one of scale rather than attractions.

I would suspect that 4 days would probably be sufficient to take in what you're probably coming for. (1 day for epcot, 1/2 day for MGM morning, 1/2 day for MK evening, 1/2 day for AK morning, leaves 1 1/2 days for pickup). (I allocate 1/2 day for MK to hit: Phillharmagic, Country Bears, Magic Carpets of Alladin, Carousel of Progress, Stitch, Pooh, SpectroMagic)

That said, I'd still stay at Pop Century. I've stayed at pretty much all the resorts (other than Shades of Green), and really don't see enough of a difference between Pop and the Moderates to warrant the extra cash. We tend to stay at either Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, or the Yacht Club depending on what kind of mood we're in.

rob.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

I stayed at the Music for several years and just got a room in the Country or Jazz rooms as they are further from the main pool, but close to the quieter piano pool. I never waited long for a bus there at all. The crowds were never noisy near my rooms. I will be staying at Pop this December so can't comment on them just yet.

Personally I would take more days over moderate resort, there is so much to see at WDW. Get the dining plan with your resort package if you are wanting to go adventurous with your meals, it will save you some money and allow you to try things you wouldn't normally buy.

Upvote 0

imamouse

Welcome to WDWMagic. :wave: As you have already noticed, there are lots of very knowledgeable and friendly people here who share your love of Disney.

I have stayed at all of the All-Star Resorts and Pop, and many of the moderates and a few deluxe. Considering your situation, I recommend the longer stay at Pop. Request the 70s section, as it is away from the pools and close to the bus stops (thought the parking lot). The bldg with the giant Big Wheel is closer to the bus stops, but the bldg with the huge MM telephone will yield some views of the lake between the current resort and the other half that is unfinished.

You will need 6 days to do WDW justice - even with the duplicate attractions. A lot of folks say that AK is only a 1/2 day park, but I disagree completely. There is so much themeing and detail to observe at AK, which is easily missed if you're zooming around.

Regarding food; the $35/day that the dining plan costs is a huge bargin. You could probably get by on less by brining your own breakfast items and snacks, but just barely.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a magical visit to WDW!

Upvote 0

Mimi

Having recently stayed at both POFQ and Pop Century I feel I must go with the majority. After all, no matter how familiar you are with the attractions, the more time the better (particularly if you enjoy the company)! And honestly, the mods aren't THAT much better that you should be willing to cut your vacation in half... where a deluxe is involved I can see room for debate.

From what I recall, wait time for buses wasn't much different. As for noise, we were on a busy corner of a building at Pop yet had no problems.

The main factors I suggest you consider: (1) the stamina of your guest - the walk from bus to room at the end of the night may and probably will be longer at a value than at POFQ; (2) size of room - the value rooms are noticably smaller than mods; and (3) ambiance - if the mood and feel of your resort is very important to you moderate is definitely the way to go; value is little more than a place to sleep - but what more do you need, really? :D

Upvote 0

rjwalter

Simply Put

In my opinion I would definately go for the longer stay. I look at it like this your in your room to sleep and shower. The values have a bed and they have a shower so your good there. I've stayed at Music late January last year and it was fine. I see people saying oh a 1/2 day at this park a 1/2 day here. If you've never been to WDW I don't think anything will be a 1/2 day even with smaller crowds. Who knows when you'll be back so you should make the best of it now and see all you can see. Besides you have long travel time the extra days will give you more time to relax and have fun. 3 days is short no matter where you go IMO.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Question What's the purpose of your visit - to stay in a moderate resort or to visit WDW and the parks ?
Answer Stay in the Value resorts and see / do more

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom