vacation insurance? - airlines filing chapter 11

X12345

Has anyone bought the vacation insurance offered by disney when you book through the website? I bought plane tickets seperately through northwest for my newyears trip, and am thinking it would now be a wise investment just incase my plans need to change due to the bankruptcy filing.

I still need to call wdw travel and find out what exactly is covered.

thanks in advance.

John

Erika

I just caught the story on the news. They said they don't anticipate holiday travel to be interrupted- the real trouble is still supposed to be further off. They also said frequent flier miles should be protected, and those with existing reervations should not face any problems. Don't know if that puts you at ease or not.

Vacation insurance would probably not be a bad idea.

Upvote 0

X12345

Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not worried about LOSING my flights, just them getting adjusted and having to cancel a day in WDW, rebook different days, getting in late and not wanting a 7 day ticket but a 6 day, etc....

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We always get the travel insurance for any trip we take (WDW or not). We've only had to cancel once when my hubby needed emergency surgery; We received all of our money back. Personally, I think its a small investment on peace of mind. I don't know about you, but I can't afford to lose that sort of money. :wave:

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

I was kind of surprised. I had heard about the troubles Northwest was having, but Delta I had no clue about. And I'm flying Song. Of course, I'm leaving IN TWELVE DAYS (can you tell I'm excited?) so I'm not too worried about my fights being messed up.

P.S. I paid $79 pp for our flight back to New York, and tickets for that flight are now selling for $299!!!!! It definitely pays to buy early!

Upvote 0

X12345

Original Poster
thanks for all the good info. I was more concerned about what the insurance WILL NOT COVER than the issues the airlines are facing. I guess I will find all that out when I call WDW travel.

thanks

John

Upvote 0

brich

I posted this in another thread. This taken this morning from a travel industry publication I subscribe to... :)

Dual bankruptcy filings for Delta, NWA; both say biz as usual (09/14/2005)
Northwest's tour subsidiary, MLT, to continue as well
By Andrew Compart

WASHINGTON -- Delta and Northwest both filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sept. 14, but both said they expect to continue normal operations.

That includes flying a full schedule, honoring tickets, maintaining frequent flyer programs and paying suppliers for goods and services received during the reorganization process.

Some of that will require court approval, which usually comes quickly in Chapter 11 filings.

Northwest also noted that its tour subsidiary, MLT, also will continue normal operations.

ARC confirmed it is continuing to process transactions for Delta but, with Northwest’s filing just minutes old at press time, said it was still in discussions with that carrier.

The filings put nearly half the U.S. airline industry’s capacity in Chapter 11, although US Airways is on schedule to emerge from its second bankruptcy by the end of this month via a merger with America West. United, in Chapter 11 for nearly three years, recently filed a plan it said would take it out of bankruptcy as early as February.

Other airlines in Chapter 11 include Aloha and ATA.

In filing for Chapter 11, Delta said it has arranged as much as $2.05 billion in post-petition financing. That includes a commitment for $1.7 billion in debtor-in-possession financing from GE Commercial Finance and Morgan Stanley. Delta said it also has an agreement in principle with American Express to provide an additional $350 million of secured financing.

Delta said it plans to use Chapter 11 filing to reconfigure its fleet and network. It plans to remove four aircraft types by the end of 2006, which would still leave it with seven on its mainline system, and deploy smaller aircraft on many of its routes.

The plan also involves more downsizing at its hubs and a continued shift to more international routes, which have been more profitable.

Delta said it also needs to implement more pay and benefit cuts and eliminate more jobs. It will not make the next required contribution to its employee defined-benefit pension plan, but said a decision on whether to terminate those plans may depend on the fate of legislation before Congress that would let Delta extend the time period for making pension contributions.

Upvote 0

brich

Something to note from the above article.
1) United has been Chap 11 for 3 years now.
2) ATA, US Airways and Aloha are all in Chap 11.

Other things to put this in perspective...
Hawaiian Airlines just emerged from Chap 11 in great shape.
As 2 carriers enter Chap 11, 2 more are about to emerge. US Airways via a merger with America West. United expected to emerge in February. Bankruptcy happens but it doesn't mean the end. Some things may change but I wouldn't panic. :D

Upvote 0

X12345

Original Poster
Thrawn said:
The insurance won't cover you losing a day.

Yes! thanks. That's the type of information I am looking for. THe more things I hear like this, the less apt I am to buy the insurance. I am sure I won't be seeing tumbleweeds rolling through northwests terminal come Dec 29th. No need to comment anymore on that type of airline stuff in this thread. Any other information like the good information above people can submit?

thanks
John

Upvote 0

Erika

PigletIsMyCat said:
P.S. I paid $79 pp for our flight back to New York, and tickets for that flight are now selling for $299!!!!! It definitely pays to buy early!

Tickets are funny that way... you never know if they'll go up or down. usually a Chicago/Phoenix airfare is up around $200 , sometimes more. But we booked 2 last minute trips last year, one for $130 and one for a little less, including all taxes & fees. I'd never seen fares like that in my life! and both of those were during peak tourist season.

Upvote 0

PamelaNiebergal

PigletIsMyCat said:

The same thing happened to me. We bought tickets for next May about a month ago at $500 each. They've now gone up to $1100. While it definately pays to buy in advance it's also led me to worry about NWA's bankruptcy (as these are NWA tickets) but from what I've come to understand my flights should go off as planned.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom