Vacation Club?

Minnesota

Original Poster
I need your help. Last time we were at Disney my husband had me go to the vacation club meeting deal. He really wants to do this but only for the Animal Kingdom Villas. Does anyone on here belong? Advise? We only get to go everyother year and usually stay at ALMo. Do they have a food court at these Villas? It sounds like a good investment but the 17000$ down payment scares me. My family thinks we are nutts and should save the money and just continue to stay at the value resorts. We have 2 kids: DS-11yr, DD-8yr, they hate sharing the double bed so we were looking at 2 rooms or a family suite at ASMu next time anyway. I figured someone on here would have some advise. Thanks

DavidTheGreat

Taxes and Fees

Be sure to ask them about the annual fees. This cost can be significant over time. I would do a cost-benefit analysis, compare the amount that you spend annually on Disney hotels to the amount that you'd be paying (monthly) for the AK timeshare. Also, consider that the ownership is not permanent, it's for 42 years (I think).

PhilharMagician

The ownership is for 50 years.

You really need to do your own cost analysis to see if it will work for you. I will however say if you are happy staying at the the Allstars then it really will not be worth the money. If you however are not happy and really like the deluxe type resorts, then things change and the value of DVC is definately there. We really love it and having our DVC oints has allowed us to go for at least 2 weeks each year since we bought them. Without DVC I will say that we would not have been back to WDW as often.

Also remember that it is an investment. I can easily make $20.00 per point resale for my points right now over what I paid for them or I can rent them and easily pay for my maintenance fees for the year and put some money in my pocket.

Good luck on your descision. :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Looking at your frequency of travel and where you stay I would say DVC might not be for you if all you are looking to do is save money. Now if you really want to upgrade your accommodations and possibly increase the frequency of your trips then it might be a possibility. The best thing to do is run the numbers and see where you land. DVC will definitely be more expensive then what you are currently paying but there will be a definite upgrade in accomodations and it will really be up to you if it is worth it.

In regards to your food court question.... While not every Disney resort has a food court so to speak, I do not know of a single Disney resort that does not have at least 1 counter service option.

yankspy

As others have said if you are interested in the deluxe hotels (and they a great way to stay) then it is worth it. Some of the suites in those hotels run six hundred and up a night. I do not believe it is a savings over value resorts though. Our maintenance is around thirteeen hundred a year for two hundred and fifty points. That alone is about a twelve day stay at a value. We like the deluxes though and are happy having made the investment. :wave:

bgraham34

I really want to go DVC. I weighed all the pros and cons but because of unexpected negative money flow porblems with my house i had to pass last year.
I definately can be worth it.

Phonedave

I need your help. Last time we were at Disney my husband had me go to the vacation club meeting deal. He really wants to do this but only for the Animal Kingdom Villas. Does anyone on here belong? Advise? We only get to go everyother year and usually stay at ALMo. Do they have a food court at these Villas? It sounds like a good investment but the 17000$ down payment scares me. My family thinks we are nutts and should save the money and just continue to stay at the value resorts. We have 2 kids: DS-11yr, DD-8yr, they hate sharing the double bed so we were looking at 2 rooms or a family suite at ASMu next time anyway. I figured someone on here would have some advise. Thanks

One thing to check is the point values. If your kids want seperate beds, then your not going to be in a studio or a 1BR. Check your point charts.

-dave

slappy magoo

17000 DOWN payment?

How many points are you buying?

Or do you mean you're buying 17K worth of points, and are considering that your "down payment" and seperate from the maintenance fees?

The rack rate for a 7 night stay at the All Star Suites would be app. 1400 dollars, or 10% of the amount of money you need to get 160 points at AKL. And that's this year, the rates will go up.

Meanwhile, a week in a 2BR Savannah Villas at the Animal Kingdom DVC could cost as little as 270 points, depending on when during the year you'd intend to go. If you went during Xmas week, it'd be 473 points! :eek: Of course, maintenance fees will go up too, but usually just a few pennies a point, I'd guess that, most years, the regular nightly rates for a non DVC room will go up more than the maintenance fees.

Here's a point chart for the Animal Kingdom DVC

http://www.dvc-resales.com/Animal-Kingdom/index.htm

Figure out the time(s) of the year you're most likely to go, and how long you'd kike those trips to be, & that'll help you determine if DVC is right for you.

I'm a DVC member, and while I'm not the sort of guy who feels like he's gotta pamper himself, I must honestly admit that I don't know how pleased I'd be staying in a Value - even a Value suite - after the time I spent in Deluxes and DVC units. I'd do it in a pinch, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The size of the rooms, the amenities (the nicer food courts), the locations, all contribute to a more nejoyable vacation for me. We're not the family that has to spend all day every day in the parks. We enjoy some leisure time at our resort. And while we haven't stayed at the AKL since it became part of DVC, we're gonna try for stay there again ASAP (I'm sure your husband was told this, but DVC members can stay in ANY of the DVC resorts, it's just subject to availability like everything else, and if the Animal Kingdom Lodge were not your home resort, you can't try to reserve a room more than 7 months out; you have an 11-month window for your home resort).

If you're still not sure, consider this: Some DVC members rent out their points when they know they won't be going to DVC for a spell, and/or they need some cash. They usually run 9-13 dollars a point. You could always try renting points and see if DVC is right for you that way.

ZapperZ

I would go along with the opinion of the majority here. If you are happy with the Value Resorts accommodations, then the DVC option will not save you money if that is your primary concern. DVC units are equivalent to Moderate to Deluxe resort. In fact, I think a typical DVC studio, if rented by non-DVC members, will go from $250 to close to $400 per night. So that is the "level" of the resort that we are talking about here. This means that if you are used to the All-Star or Pop Century Resort, you will probably not save money by buying into the DVC.

Also note that the "maintenance fee" at AKL villas is higher than at Saratoga Springs, for example. You need to weigh the advantage of having the 11-month window of booking there versus the extra amount that you have to pay when compared to buying at SSR. I haven't encountered any problems so far at getting a room at any of the DVC resorts when booking 6 to 8 months in advance. So is buying into AKL really worth the extra amount just to get that 11-month window and a 50-year ownership? That is something you have to decide.

Zz.

MaxsDad

MN, based on what you wrote:

If you plan on staying in a Family Suite at ASMu every other year (assuming 7 nights during summer), that is ($250x5)+($270x2)=$1790x1.125=$2013.75.

2014/24 months is $84 per month. This is less than you would spend on DVC's buy in and membership fess.

On the other hand, it is an upgrade in accommodations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom