Uzima Springs Pool Closure

21stamps

Yeah, but it shouldn't take too long. Hopefully lol I actually tracked it on gmaps and it is only 2300 ft to walk to Kidani from Jambo. When I stay at the Poly I walk to the GF and TTC a lot and it is about 2700 ft. Granted, to just swing by the pool, 2300 ft is a slight trek and most people probably are not open to that. But I do love walking and don't mind exploring.

My issue is the fact that it is in Sep, the 3rd hottest month of the year and that 1 pool is going to be overloaded now. I get they wanted the pool maybe open by xmas - but it just makes a whole lot more sense to close it for a refurb when the weather is a lot cooler and the pool services are not as in high demand like they are in Sep.

I didn't pay for a pool view, so that hasn't affected me. But I probably would be more than annoyed had I paid for that and Disney was making me pay more to stay elsewhere.

My GF and I were really lookig forward to AKL, so I think we are staying put. We'll just have to factor in using an extra 20 minutes to walk or shuttle to the pool now on our resorts rests mid-day.

On the bright side, we'll be able to walk off an extra miles worth of calories for a few days with all the eating, drinking and meals we do!!! :geek:

If it makes you feel any better, Poly’s pool was also closed during the summer/September.. I think WL was too.

I’m sure it doesn’t make you fell better, but just wanted to point out that it isn’t strange for Disney to do this.

(Oops.. meant to quote your prior post)

21stamps

I booked direct with Disney UK, called the number they provided on the pool closure email the same day it was sent. I could not swap resorts without incurring a £50 pp fee unless it was to a more expensive resort. For a company that prides itself on customer service, I really expected better from Disney.

What is the fee for? I’m assuming you have a pool view room booked and want to switch?

Greg H

We have a stay booked in Oct at Jambo-AKL. I can totally appreciate how people are feeling about the pool issue. It's expensive. People have high expectations. Especially if this is a trip you have been saving for and it does not happen very often... I am surprised Disney is being so difficult about a few dollars to change resorts. That has not at all been my experience dealing with Disney. Regardless though, the bus to Kidani is not bad at all. We made that trip a number of times and we actually prefer the pool area at Kidani. The bus is constantly cycling around and it is a very short run (couple of minutes). It's not ideal, but honestly, I would not let it take away from what will most likely be a great vacation.

bennyshob

What is the fee for? I’m assuming you have a pool view room booked and want to switch?
It was an admin fee, which they refused to waive. I ended up upgrading to WL and paying an additional £400 to avoid it. I'd rather pay more for an upgrade than waste the money on a pointless admin fee.

No I had a standard room, but did not want to be at a resort with work going on. I'm also traveling with someone disabled which makes the location of the Kidani Village pool even more of an issue. They would not take this into account either.

I understand that work needs to happen sometimes, although I don't agree that it's normal for them to give this little notice. All I wanted was the ability to move resorts without Disney making that intentionally difficult. The only reason I want to move at all was because of a decision they've made.

nickys

Premium Member
What is the fee for?

That is standard T&Cs for U.K. bookings when booked through Disney direct. It applies if you switch resorts, unless to a more expensive resort in which case you simply pay the difference.

I imagine it's in part to offset our ticket deals; book further ahead, get cheaper per day tickets for 2 or 3 weeks, but pay a cancellation/alteration fee.

Many TAs have a similar charge.

bennyshob

That is standard T&Cs for U.K. bookings when booked through Disney direct. It applies if you switch resorts, unless to a more expensive resort in which case you simply pay the difference.

I imagine it's in part to offset our ticket deals; book further ahead, get cheaper per day tickets for 2 or 3 weeks, but pay a cancellation/alteration fee.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the fee, however to enforce it when customers are only moving to try and avoid a last minute pool closure is hardly fair. I expected better from Disney.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't think anyone has a problem with the fee, however to enforce it when customers are only moving to try and avoid a last minute pool closure is hardly fair. I expected better from Disney.

The problem is, this isn't really last minute. It's 4-7 months notice.

One of the benefits we have is being able to book over a year ahead, and up to almost two years ahead in some cases. That will create problems when refurbishments are scheduled. The alternative is us not being able to book more than say 9 months ahead of time, in return for no admin fee for changes.

I get it. It's disappointing. But this affects every resort at some point, and there isn't the capacity to move everyone, every time it happens.

bennyshob

The problem is, this isn't really last minute. It's 4-7 months notice.

One of the benefits we have is being able to book over a year ahead, and up to almost two years ahead in some cases. That will create problems when refurbishments are scheduled. The alternative is us not being able to book more than say 9 months ahead of time, in return for no admin fee for changes.

I get it. It's disappointing. But this affects every resort at some point, and there isn't the capacity to move everyone, every time it happens.

It's 4 months notice since it's the earliest affected arrival time that counts, and from an availability standpoint it absolutely is short notice. I'm one of the fortunate ones that's managed to get an upgrade to Wilderness Lodge at a reasonable price, anyone else trying to do the same for my travel dates now only has the option of club level, an even more expensive resort, or downgrade and pay a fee for the privilege.

I've been coming to Disney world twice a year for 10 years and never experienced a major refurbishment announced with this short notice. If it has to happen fine, but Disney should make every effort to move customers who are unhappy, not make it more difficult because it suits them to keep us there.

crxbrett

I
If it makes you feel any better, Poly’s pool was also closed during the summer/September.. I think WL was too.

I’m sure it doesn’t make you fell better, but just wanted to point out that it isn’t strange for Disney to do this.

(Oops.. meant to quote your prior post)

Thanks, it does make me feel a little better actually. Yeah, I thought I remembered the WL pool being closed one summer. I missed the year the Poly pool was being worked on, but was there in '93 when the lobby was redone and again the late '90s when a lot of construction was done.

I am still looking forward to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and will enjoy the Kidani pool of course. It'll be awesome regardless. A little extra walking or maybe a short bus trip is all. 😊

I am not super upset since 8 days of my trip are at the Poly. I don't mean to sound ungrateful at all and am really looking forward to my trip and having a blast! I feel bad and sympathize for those that did plan an entire trip there or who have a big family or that paid for a pool view, though.

James J

In the Parks
No

I didn't get charged an admin fee for moving to a better room at a different resort when I changed my booking with Disney?

nickys

Premium Member
I didn't get charged an admin fee for moving to a better room at a different resort when I changed my booking with Disney?

Is that a question or statement?

If a statement, was the room you moved to more expensive? If so, as I understand it, you should just pay the difference in price. But that was from friends, who were quoted the new price and no fee was mentioned. It's possible the new price included an extra £50 per person.

James J

In the Parks
No
Is that a question or statement?

If a statement, was the room you moved to more expensive? If so, as I understand it, you should just pay the difference in price. But that was from friends, who were quoted the new price and no fee was mentioned. It's possible the new price included an extra £50 per person.

Sorry, it was a statement.

I didn't get charged an admin fee, and I didn't have to pay anything to move to a better room. Literally just swapped rooms with no additional cost. Standard room at CSR to a Royal Guest room with Garden View at POR.

My new invoice shows the new accommodation cost increase, but then has a line for 'Refurbishment Cost Adjustment' which is -£700. The overall cost is exactly the same as it was before.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Sorry, it was a statement.

I didn't get charged an admin fee, and I didn't have to pay anything to move to a better room. Literally just swapped rooms with no additional cost. Standard room at CSR to a Royal Guest room with Garden View at POR.

My new invoice shows the new accommodation cost increase, but then has a line for 'Refurbishment Cost Adjustment' which is -£700. The overall cost is exactly the same as it was before.

Well that's great news. :) What was the reason you moved? Wondering if it was your request because of construction issues, or whether Disney maybe moved you because of rooms being taken out of service due to the construction.

Either way it's a good deal for you. I think having a TA involved definitely complicates things, because of their block bookings which are done a couple of years ahead.

James J

In the Parks
No
Well that's great news. :) What was the reason you moved? Wondering if it was your request because of construction issues, or whether Disney maybe moved you because of rooms being taken out of service due to the construction.

Either way it's a good deal for you. I think having a TA involved definitely complicates things, because of their block bookings which are done a couple of years ahead.

It is indeed :) We moved because we were scheduled to be at CSR when the main pool area is closed for refurbishment. I called the number they gave on the email stating the closure, just to see if there were any alternative options for us. We were very happy with what we were offered!

Definitely agree on the TA front. This is my first time booking with Disney directly and so far, things have been easier than when I've used a TA. I've booked my flights separately but everything else with Disney.

Hayley In Wonderland

So they're not charging you to move rooms then?

What exactly have they said? I don't understand at all. You told us they were charging you to move. Your story is all over the place.

OK you're not getting the room you paid for, but they can't do anything about that short of cancelling the pool refurb.

I would sit down and work out exactly what you want at this point. Because you need to be clear about that. It's no good just complaining about things, what would make it right? And then tell your TA.
I said they are charging to downgrade in excess of £200.00 to a moderate resort.

Kim2022

I had reservations for POR. My husband upgraded us to AKL savanna view just a few weeks ago. When we were notified of the pool closure I did try and change resorts. Everything was booked except GF which is a lot more money. We agreed to remain at AKL. My irritation stems from disney not letting is know when he called and upgraded about the pool closure. I would most likely have kept the POR reservation. I already have my Halloween tickets and flights booked. Not to mention the dining reservations I already made. I have no doubt we will have a great time. I still look forward to staying at AKL. I just feel that disney kept quiet about the pool closure until all the resorts were booked pretty much solid and then made the announcement. It seems like a pretty big coincidence that the very next day after getting the email all resorts except GF are booked. Maybe I'm just cynical.

Moodtastiv

I had reservations for POR. My husband upgraded us to AKL savanna view just a few weeks ago. When we were notified of the pool closure I did try and change resorts. Everything was booked except GF which is a lot more money. We agreed to remain at AKL. My irritation stems from disney not letting is know when he called and upgraded about the pool closure. I would most likely have kept the POR reservation. I already have my Halloween tickets and flights booked. Not to mention the dining reservations I already made. I have no doubt we will have a great time. I still look forward to staying at AKL. I just feel that disney kept quiet about the pool closure until all the resorts were booked pretty much solid and then made the announcement. It seems like a pretty big coincidence that the very next day after getting the email all resorts except GF are booked. Maybe I'm just cynical.

Disney do seem to be refurbing many of the resort pools this Autumn/fall. I do not think it is a cash grab but I can see why people are sceptical.

Hayley In Wonderland

I had the same problem. I was forced into an upgrade I didn't want because they refused to let me downgrade without being penalised.
They finally let me downgrade to a standard view room with a refund of £230.00. Still not the additional cost I paid for the pool room but it's better than nothing. I wasn't given a lot of options - move resort (which I was adamant not to do), keep the room I had with the price I paid, downgrade to a standard room or upgrade to a savannah (we can't afford this on top of what we have paid already). Just hoping we don't get a car park view :cautious:

Lucky

They finally let me downgrade to a standard view room with a refund of £230.00. Still not the additional cost I paid for the pool room but it's better than nothing. I wasn't given a lot of options - move resort (which I was adamant not to do), keep the room I had with the price I paid, downgrade to a standard room or upgrade to a savannah (we can't afford this on top of what we have paid already). Just hoping we don't get a car park view :cautious:
There aren’t many parking lot view rooms there, but it’s possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom