Uzima Springs Pool Closure

Debo

Original Poster
I just received the below email. I have never been to DisneyWorld or any of the resort hotels. Does anyone know if this will impact our stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? Thank you.

Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment during your stay. During this time, we invite you to have a wild time at nearby Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village. Maji Pool Bar features refreshing beverages, sandwiches and more. For your convenience, brief rides via shuttle transportation will be provided to and from Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House.

Much-Pixie-Dust

It’s the big pool at Jambo House. Samawati is the pool at Kidani. It’s a better pool IMO, but much smaller. Both have zero depth entry. The pool bars are the same to me.

Kevlar10

We received the same email. One concern we have is, how will this impact how crowded the Samawati pool will be. The Uzima pool is much larger. We do have a resort/pool day scheduled and will not be happy if the pool is overcrowded or access is limited due to overcrowding. Another concern is how will this impact animal viewing. Will animals stay away from the Jambo House viewing areas if construction is occurring during the day. Finally, having to walk to or take a shuttle the Samawati pool with small children is annoying. I really feel that Disney should have scheduled this at a different time, say December, January, and February, when guests would be less impacted.

dreamfinder

Impact should only be a big as you let it be. Depending on the exact scope of work the kiddie pool and one or both of the hot tubs may still be open. Unless they just close the whole courtyard area which would close all of those along with one of the animal outlooks. It's a fairly short walk to Kidani if you want to walk, maybe 1/2 mile. The shuttle van should be running every 5-10 minutes, or you can take the Disney Springs bus which would go from Jambo to Kidani. Kidani has a kids splash and play area while Jambo just a shallow kiddle pool.

We received the same email. One concern we have is, how will this impact how crowded the Samawati pool will be. The Uzima pool is much larger. We do have a resort/pool day scheduled and will not be happy if the pool is overcrowded or access is limited due to overcrowding. Another concern is how will this impact animal viewing. Will animals stay away from the Jambo House viewing areas if construction is occurring during the day. Finally, having to walk to or take a shuttle the Samawati pool with small children is annoying. I really feel that Disney should have scheduled this at a different time, say December, January, and February, when guests would be less impacted.

It shouldn't impact the animal viewing. The pool is surrounded on 3 sides by hotel, and the 4th side overlooks a very small portion of the savanna, primarily where the Flamingos are. Except as I mentioned above, the animals shouldn't be bothered. It's well away from the main viewing areas.

And the last two refurbs on that pool have been scheduled in the off season.

Hayley In Wonderland

I am majorly annoyed and upset by Disney. I am going here Nov 13 and staying at AKL with a pool view room. We get told 4 months before our departure that the entire pool will be shut. Now, if I was in a standard room, I would suck it up and deal with it. However I have paid more money in order to have a pool view room, and instead I will be looking out at machinery all day. Disney have said this is only a "minor" refurb, despite shutting and closing off all access to the pool for 3+ months. What's upsetting me is Disney are willing to do nothing to compensate for the fact that I paid extra for a pool view and I'm not getting that. I don't want to move resorts, I just either want to be compensated for what I paid or moved to a nicer room.

Kim2022

I got the same email. I'm not happy at all. I just made my reservation a little over two weeks ago. Like they didn't know then and couldn't have told me. I called last night and asked about other resorts and they are now all booked my week except for the Grand Floridian which is about a grand more expensive for a standard room for 4 days. Zero offer of any discounted rate or perk for either resort. Basically take it or leave it. I think that's what I'm most irritated about. I was told again about how they are happy to bus us to the other pool. Sure sounds magical. I understand that the refurbishment needs done and its just my bad luck that I am there at that time, BUT they could have warned me two weeks ago when I booked. My husband and I are going to celebrate my birthday and to ease the fact that my youngest will be leaving the nest for college. I really wanted some relaxation pool time with a good book. I'm sure I will get over it but for now I'm pretty miffed.

SpiteriFam

When I called earlier I was told it’s not actually shut until the 9th of September. I had read the 1st elsewhere but apparently that’s wrong

TheJonesys

Here’s an announcement from Disney, which also states there will be refurb work until Fall 2019, having booked to stay there next summer I’d like more info on what’s happening, but Disney aren’t being very forthcoming.

Beginning September 2018 and continuing until Winter 2018 the Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment. During this time Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village will be available. Brief rides via shuttle transportation will be provided to and from Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. It is possible that Guests may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00am.
From August 2018 until Fall 2019 Disney's Animal Kingdom – Jambo House is undergoing some refurbishment projects. It is possible that Guests may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00am.

Last edited:

Hayley In Wonderland

Zero offer of any discounted rate or perk for either resort. Basically take it or leave it. I think that's what I'm most irritated about.
Same here, considering I have paid extra to have a pool view room and I am not getting that, yet Disney are flat out refusing to even offer me the difference or move me. Disgusting and is technically illegal as they are breaking contracts by not providing me with the services I have paid for.

nickys

Premium Member
Here’s an announcement from Disney, which also states there will be refurb work until Fall 2019, having booked to stay there next summer I’d like more info on what’s happening, but Disney aren’t being very forthcoming.

Beginning September 2018 and continuing until Winter 2018 the Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment. During this time Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village will be available. Brief rides via shuttle transportation will be provided to and from Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. It is possible that Guests may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00am.
From August 2018 until Fall 2019 Disney's Animal Kingdom – Jambo House is undergoing some refurbishment projects. It is possible that Guests may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00am.

Room returns are normal. Mostly furnishings etc, although they may do more such as new floors or showers. I'm not sure exactly what's planned; I know Kidani had a refurb done a couple of years or so back.

If you were planning to be around the resort and in your room a lot through your stay, I would maybe consider moving resort. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. There's always going to be at least one resort being refurbed, it's done on a rotation basis.

They'll just take a block of rooms out of service for a while, then move onto the next block.

Hayley In Wonderland

There's always going to be at least one resort being refurbed, it's done on a rotation basis.

They'll just take a block of rooms out of service for a while, then move onto the next block.
It's not the room refurbs that are the issue. The whole main pool in Jambo House is going to be closed down. For people with a pool view room booked, who have paid extra money for this, are not getting what they have paid for.

21stamps

To the people expecting refunds or upgrades-

Pool closures and refurbs happen.
My recent trips..
Poly 2015, construction and quiet pool closed.
GF 2016, Gasparilla’s closed for refurb. Mizner’s turned into a grab and go qs.
WL 2016- Construction right underneath my balcony, Quiet pool closed, half of the resort under construction.

Each one informed me ahead of time. That’s really all we should expect. It gives you the option to switch, but doesn’t entitle a refund or upgrade.

WL did leave cute construction pins in the room though.

Hayley In Wonderland

To the people expecting refunds or upgrades-

Pool closures and returns happen.
My recent trips..
Poly 2015, construction and quiet pool closed.
GF 2016, Gasparilla’s closed.
WL 2016- Construction right underneath my balcony, Quiet pool closed, half of the resort under construction.

Each one informed me ahead of time. That’s really all we should expect. It gives you the option to switch, but doesn’t entitle a refund or upgrade.

WL did leave cute construction pins in the room though.
Surely though, as I have paid extra for a pool view room, I am entitled to have that? If not then I should be refunded the difference as I'm not getting a pool view room? I mean, it's quite a bit more to pay. I wouldn't mind so much if I had a standard room, but I don't.

21stamps

Surely though, as I have paid extra for a pool view room, I am entitled to have that? If not then I should be refunded the difference as I'm not getting a pool view room? I mean, it's quite a bit more to pay. I wouldn't mind so much if I had a standard room, but I don't.

I paid extra for this view below.lol. Not ideal, but the noise wasn’t bad at all.
Do they have other rooms available so you can switch categories, or maybe resorts?

If you’re going to be staring at green construction walls, and the entire area is closed, then they probably should adjust a pool view price. I don’t think expecting a Savannah View out of it is fair though. There’s people who want to pay for those rooms, it’s not right to fill them with free upgrades in advance.
DC75206B-310F-40C9-AA2C-51C4D0CCC15F.jpeg

Last edited:

Hayley In Wonderland

I paid extra for this view below.lol. Not ideal, but the noise wasn’t bad at all.
Do they have other rooms available so you can switch categories, or maybe resorts?

If you’re going to be staring at green construction walls, and the entire area is closed, then they probably should adjust a pool view price. I don’t think expecting a Savannah View out of it is fair though. There’s people who want to pay for those rooms, it’s not right to fill them with free upgrades in advance.
View attachment 283283
The entire pool area is completely closed off and under construction for 4 months. It's not fair for me to have to pay for something that I am not actually getting, it breaks contract and Disney can actually get in a lot of trouble for not providing the services that I have paid for. This is a big trip for me and it's taken a lot for me to make this happen. I'm from the UK so do not get to visit often, and AKL has always been somewhere I've wanted to go but never thought I would be able to do. Disney are not even offering up an apology for whats going on. Some people who are going in Sept have been told 3 months before their holiday, which is not fair.

21stamps

The entire pool area is completely closed off and under construction for 4 months. It's not fair for me to have to pay for something that I am not actually getting, it breaks contract and Disney can actually get in a lot of trouble for not providing the services that I have paid for. This is a big trip for me and it's taken a lot for me to make this happen. I'm from the UK so do not get to visit often, and AKL has always been somewhere I've wanted to go but never thought I would be able to do. Disney are not even offering up an apology for whats going on. Some people who are going in Sept have been told 3 months before their holiday, which is not fair.

I understand that it’s disappointing. Have you checked to see if you can switch categories?
Do they have standard view available? That would be what I would try to do, or ask to compensate for the view.
But you have to think, there are a ton of other people who also are taking a big trip, people who want to book a savannah view.. Disney shouldn’t fill those rooms up, it’s not fair to the other people who actually want to pay for that room type.

They’re not breaking a contract because they’re informing you ahead of time, you have the option to move. I know it stinks! I empathize with you.

Hayley In Wonderland

I understand that it’s disappointing. Have you checked to see if you can switch categories?
Do they have standard view available? That would be what I would try to do, or ask to compensate for the view.
But you have to think, there are a ton of other people who also are taking a big trip, people who want to book a savannah view.. Disney shouldn’t fill those rooms up, it’s not fair to the other people who actually want to pay for that room type.

They’re not breaking a contract because they’re informing you ahead of time, you have the option to move. I know it stinks! I empathize with you.
They are being increasingly difficult. They are not allowing people affected to move without additional costs, they are trying to charge people more money to stay in a moderate resort (someone was told to pay £400.00 to move to CBR or £6,000 to GF) and are refusing to downgrade anyone or allow them to move rooms.

I don't expect them to, I just either want a refund or to be downgraded without Disney making it difficult. But then it's also not fair on people who have booked a pool view room who are now having their holiday inconvenienced and having Disney being so difficult about it.

They are breaking contract if I am paying for a pool view room, being charged extra for this and also not giving me an option to move to a resort similar or lower in cost FoC or with a refund of the difference, which at the moment they are flat out refusing to do. They are under a legal obligation to provide the services that you paid for on your booking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom