using someone else's annual pass

healds

I have been told that you can successfully use someone else's annual pass, even with the fingerprint process. Has anyone heard about this or had personal experience?

2much2do

Well, let me add my fuel to the fire, :)

As for the AP contract issue, I think that most of the "rules" are very widely known and if you were to ask in advance of purchasing the pass, I am sure the CM would be more than happy to tell you. Should they advertise these "rules" and tell you all about them before you purchase, yeah. But, they aren't hiding the rules. In fact, when I bought my AP vouchers at the Disney Store, the CM there showed me from the CM handbook the terms of the purchase before I gave her the money, so I knew full well what I was getting into.
The AP is for you to get into the parks for a year. It is not for 365 days of addmission. If that were the case, Disney would most certainly charge a heck of a whole lot more than the $350 -$450 that they charge. They would probably put some sort of punch card technology in them as well. Sure, you could go 365 times in one year (wouldn't that be great!), but that isn't what you purchased. You purchased a pass that will allow YOU to get into the parks. In order for this to be safely guarded (in case you should lose the pass) they have security measures in place. They get your finger scan, etc. Does this also help them prevent fraud, sure. But, it is for your protection as well (think credit card). The pass is issued to YOU. Anyone who isn't you, should not be allowed to use it. And of course, if you aren't going to be usuing it enough, then it wouldn't be worth it for you to get it, so it's your call. As for the buying food thing. Think about it. If your friend (or whoever) wants to go to Disney, they'll go, pass or no pass. They will just buy admission and go. It will only SAVE them money if they use your pass. But it isn't like they wouldn't go if you didn't loan them your pass (in theory, anyway). So as far as Disney is concerned they aren't losing anything by putting that restriction on your pass. And, as someone said above, since they cannot use your pass, you might as well go with them and eat too :)
And no, a ten year old is not an adult, but the idea is that a ten year old will ride the adult rides just as an adult would, whereas younger children (in theory) will not be tall enough to ride them all so they shouldn't have to pay the full adult price. Do I agree with this? No really, because I am an adult who does not ride all the rides with height restrictions. Why should I have to pay the full adult price when I know I won't be riding all the rides?

Upvote 0

ibaDisNut

How I love a good morality argument!

Since I am a Newbie on this site, I'll just say that once Disney decides that too many people are trying to circumvent the system they will go to fingerprint and photos on the AP.

The bottom line is, if you want to chance it, go for it! Life's a gamble, right? And sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

disneydentist

Originally posted by ibaDisNut

Since I am a Newbie on this site, I'll just say that once Disney decides that too many people are trying to circumvent the system they will go to fingerprint and photos on the AP.

They actually did use photos on ticket media back in the early 90's. We still have our tickets with our dot-matrix photos on them from '94. Under the photo it says "Authorized Disney photo required for admission."

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by disneydentist

They actually did use photos on ticket media back in the early 90's. We still have our tickets with our dot-matrix photos on them from '94. Under the photo it says "Authorized Disney photo required for admission."

I also have some old "photo" (passport type) passes. I think they were a problem because they took a while to process. You stood in line to buy a voucher, then stood in another line to have your instant photo taken, then waited in another line to get your laminated pass. However, the fact that they were more durable than the current passes and almost waterproof was a big plus! (and you never grabbed someone else's pass by mistake)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by 2much2do
Well, let me add my fuel to the fire, :)

As for the AP contract issue, I think that most of the "rules" are very widely known and if you were to ask in advance of purchasing the pass, I am sure the CM would be more than happy to tell you. Should they advertise these "rules" and tell you all about them before you purchase, yeah. But, they aren't hiding the rules. In fact, when I bought my AP vouchers at the Disney Store, the CM there showed me from the CM handbook the terms of the purchase before I gave her the money, so I knew full well what I was getting into.
The AP is for you to get into the parks for a year. It is not for 365 days of addmission. If that were the case, Disney would most certainly charge a heck of a whole lot more than the $350 -$450 that they charge. They would probably put some sort of punch card technology in them as well. Sure, you could go 365 times in one year (wouldn't that be great!), but that isn't what you purchased. You purchased a pass that will allow YOU to get into the parks. In order for this to be safely guarded (in case you should lose the pass) they have security measures in place. They get your finger scan, etc. Does this also help them prevent fraud, sure. But, it is for your protection as well (think credit card). The pass is issued to YOU. Anyone who isn't you, should not be allowed to use it. And of course, if you aren't going to be usuing it enough, then it wouldn't be worth it for you to get it, so it's your call. As for the buying food thing. Think about it. If your friend (or whoever) wants to go to Disney, they'll go, pass or no pass. They will just buy admission and go. It will only SAVE them money if they use your pass. But it isn't like they wouldn't go if you didn't loan them your pass (in theory, anyway). So as far as Disney is concerned they aren't losing anything by putting that restriction on your pass. And, as someone said above, since they cannot use your pass, you might as well go with them and eat too :)
And no, a ten year old is not an adult, but the idea is that a ten year old will ride the adult rides just as an adult would, whereas younger children (in theory) will not be tall enough to ride them all so they shouldn't have to pay the full adult price. Do I agree with this? No really, because I am an adult who does not ride all the rides with height restrictions. Why should I have to pay the full adult price when I know I won't be riding all the rides?

I think this raises some interesting questions. The first one being, does the "adult" rate start on a child's 9th birthday, or 10th? I've seen it interpreted (not a Disney) both ways...a parent was arguing that the children's rate should apply THROUGH the 9th year, the clerk was arguing that it only applies UNTIL the age of 9.

What about pregnant women, who can't ride all of the rides? How about the elderly or those with health problems which bar them from riding? Should they get a reduced rate? (I've never noticed a reduced rate for seniors, and no one has offered me one yet, thank God!) What about the people who (because of size) take up MORE than one seat on a ride? Should they pay extra?

Perhaps someone should teach a course on situational ethics as they pertain to WDW. ;)

Upvote 0

Camelot

Even Park Hoppers say they are non-transferable, but the lack of security measures, makes it seem safer to barter with them.

If I had an Annual Pass, I sure would like to loan it to a friend, but would not want to risk that one time, they would ask the other person for ID, ect, and risk getting my AP revoked.

Upvote 0

2much2do

Originally posted by The Mom

I think this raises some interesting questions. The first one being, does the "adult" rate start on a child's 9th birthday, or 10th? I've seen it interpreted (not a Disney) both ways...a parent was arguing that the children's rate should apply THROUGH the 9th year, the clerk was arguing that it only applies UNTIL the age of 9.

What about pregnant women, who can't ride all of the rides? How about the elderly or those with health problems which bar them from riding? Should they get a reduced rate? (I've never noticed a reduced rate for seniors, and no one has offered me one yet, thank God!) What about the people who (because of size) take up MORE than one seat on a ride? Should they pay extra?

Perhaps someone should teach a course on situational ethics as they pertain to WDW. ;)

I actually asked several diferent Disney CM (at the Disney Store, CRO, and at the gate) and all told the same thing. The child rate is from ages three (as soon as they turn three) to age nine (until they are no longer nine). So, they wouldn't need an adult pass until their tenth birthday. Still seems dumb to me but......whatever :rolleyes:

I guess Disney (and all theme parks really) have to draw a line somewhere. Out of all the things you mentioned, the senior rate is the only one that sounds politically correct, and I think Disney should have one.

Upvote 0

gepetto

As far as the 10& older buying an adult pass goes.....if any CM happened to ask my child how old he was he'd for sure tell the truth and say 10...so I had to buy him adult pass this year.

My AP gets rejected a lot for some reason. And about half the time they ask for an ID.

Upvote 0

Creathir

How about if you want to use your minors annual pass for another minor. They're around 9 years old so no ID to show.
Aside from the crazy old bump of the thread, and the completely unscrupulous ethics of doing so, the larger question is do you mean back in 2002 or present day?

If it’s present day, the fingerprint technology would likely foil any such attempt.

If back in 2002, there likely would be the issue of how to keep the original pass holder kid alive while you take their sibling into Disney World and they are forced to sit in the car. Florida is pretty darn hot, and those parking lots offer very little shade. Plus, what exactly would you say to the kid?

“Sorry Billy, it’s Fred’s turn. You’ll just have to ride Dumbo next time.”

I suppose you could swap the kid halfway thru? Or maybe the plan is even more sinister, and you intend on taking one in, going out of the gate, and retrieving the other? This will be even more expensive in the long run though. The future bail and legal fees needed for teaching your other child to do anything to save a buck and get ahead will far surpass any potential cost of present day annual passes. Then again, looking forward into the future, maybe it’s a worthwhile investment. Prices are just going to continue to go up after all. I suppose at some point that child’s annual pass could surpass any future bail amounts they incurred from learning to lie, cheat, and steal from their parents.

Alas, Disney has foiled all of this with their darn fingerprint readers…

* shakes fist at Bob Chapek *

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Aside from the crazy old bump of the thread, and the completely unscrupulous ethics of doing so, the larger question is do you mean back in 2002 or present day?

If it’s present day, the fingerprint technology would likely foil any such attempt.

If back in 2002, there likely would be the issue of how to keep the original pass holder kid alive while you take their sibling into Disney World and they are forced to sit in the car. Florida is pretty darn hot, and those parking lots offer very little shade. Plus, what exactly would you say to the kid?

“Sorry Billy, it’s Fred’s turn. You’ll just have to ride Dumbo next time.”

I suppose you could swap the kid halfway thru? Or maybe the plan is even more sinister, and you intend on taking one in, going out of the gate, and retrieving the other? This will be even more expensive in the long run though. The future bail and legal fees needed for teaching your other child to do anything to save a buck and get ahead will far surpass any potential cost of present day annual passes. Then again, looking forward into the future, maybe it’s a worthwhile investment. Prices are just going to continue to go up after all. I suppose at some point that child’s annual pass could surpass any future bail amounts they incurred from learning to lie, cheat, and steal from their parents.

Alas, Disney has foiled all of this with their darn fingerprint readers…

* shakes fist at Bob Chapek *
Kids aren't good at nuance. If you teach your kid that it's okay to lie in order to get what you want, good luck getting them to differentiate between lying to Disney and lying to you.

Upvote 0
Only because Disney says it isn't. ;)

Seriously, I can understand the restrictions on yearly or seasonal passes, as they are issued to a specific person for a specific time period. However, I have no moral qualms about letting a friend or relative use the unused days on a regular pass, despite the rule against it. If I'm not going to use it, why should it sit in my drawer? If I buy a concert or movie ticket, and can't go, I can give it away. If I buy clothing and it doesn't fit, I can give it away (or return it) Actually, why doesn't Disney give refunds for unused ticket days? That would cut down on people transferring them! ;)
Theft prevention, plain and simple. I think you should be allowed to add authorized names to the account for sharing, but no ID check would surely end up with a lot more passes targeted for theft.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom