Use of Metal Detectors to be Randomized

The_CEO

SO.. Disney is saying... You have a 9 outa 10 chance of sneaking somthing in.

Hey thats pretty high!!

* Cheers *

Shaman

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
One way to be guaranteed to be stopped be an attractive female especially blonde pulled every time. Must have been some sort of profiling:animwink:

:lol:

Can't be too careful....

:D

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
(like, every 10th guests).

Still, its seems like a major hassle... and if they pull me aside... I will NOT be a happy camper, and will be sure to let them know that! :mad:

Tom

Beta Return
Just like someone else said, this IS NOT intended to find all the weapons, bombs, or other illegal devices. It is intended to make the general public feel more secure, and give less of an incentive for "bad guys" to bring in these items.

This solves SO many problems:

1. With the bag check, EVERYONE with a bag was checked, and it was time consuming.
2. You can hide anything you want and they won't find it in a bag check, guaranteed. If I wanted to, in the past, I could walk right in with my 380 Special handgun - 100% of the time. NOW, I know that there IS INDEED a chance that I will get caught with it. It is NOT 100% guaranteed now.

* And NO, the odds of me getting caught are not 10%. Statistics vary based on how many people are entering at the same time you do, where you are standing, which turnstile you go through, etc, etc.

3. With a metal detector, you just walk on through - no stopping, having them go through your personal stuff, etc. Unless, of course, you have something that sets it off....and, well, odds are they won't set the sensitivity like they do at airports, which detect the penny that you swallowed yesterday! I'm sure that keys and wristwatches will pass right on thru (hopefully).

So, in summary, it will deter more people who used to think they could carry a weapon in; it will greatly reduce the waiting time and backed up lines for bag check; and it gives the illusion to the paranoid guests that WDW is a safer place now.

No, we're not safe anywhere from someone with a bomb strapped to their chest, or with a plane at their command, or with a pocket rocket launcher, or with a Glock (plastic-based hand gun)......but whatever can be done to keep the honest criminals at bay is worth it in my book :)

TURKEY

Originally posted by edwardtc
Just like someone else said, this IS NOT intended to find all the weapons, bombs, or other illegal devices. It is intended to make the general public feel more secure, and give less of an incentive for "bad guys" to bring in these items.

This solves SO many problems:

1. With the bag check, EVERYONE with a bag was checked, and it was time consuming.
2. You can hide anything you want and they won't find it in a bag check, guaranteed. If I wanted to, in the past, I could walk right in with my 380 Special handgun - 100% of the time. NOW, I know that there IS INDEED a chance that I will get caught with it. It is NOT 100% guaranteed now.

* And NO, the odds of me getting caught are not 10%. Statistics vary based on how many people are entering at the same time you do, where you are standing, which turnstile you go through, etc, etc.

3. With a metal detector, you just walk on through - no stopping, having them go through your personal stuff, etc. Unless, of course, you have something that sets it off....and, well, odds are they won't set the sensitivity like they do at airports, which detect the penny that you swallowed yesterday! I'm sure that keys and wristwatches will pass right on thru (hopefully).

So, in summary, it will deter more people who used to think they could carry a weapon in; it will greatly reduce the waiting time and backed up lines for bag check; and it gives the illusion to the paranoid guests that WDW is a safer place now.

No, we're not safe anywhere from someone with a bomb strapped to their chest, or with a plane at their command, or with a pocket rocket launcher, or with a Glock (plastic-based hand gun)......but whatever can be done to keep the honest criminals at bay is worth it in my book :)

Everyone is still going to go through the bag checks.

Why aren't people complaining about this being for show as well? At least with the bag checks, everyone goes through it.

Unless everyone goes through, they arent' going to do a great deal of good.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Everyone is still going to go through the bag checks.

Why aren't people complaining about this being for show as well? At least with the bag checks, everyone goes through it.

Unless everyone goes through, they arent' going to do a great deal of good.

Yes, but if all guests go through the metal detectors and the permanent bag check, it would take an astronomical amount of time to get into the parks in the morning. The only reason Six Flags and Paramount Parks can check all guests is b/c they don't see nearly the volume of guests Disney sees. If Disney tried this screening all guests, it would be perhaps worse than going through an airport (my local airport has a line of maybe 20 metal detectors, comparable to what I would expect from Disney, and crowds far smaller than you would find at park opening during even moderately busy times of year, and it takes upwards of 45 minutes). Disney has to balance these concerns, safety and convenience.

WDW John

Originally posted by DMC-12
Still, its seems like a major hassle... and if they pull me aside... I will NOT be a happy camper, and will be sure to let them know that! :mad:

A major hassle to walk through a metal detector? I don't get it. You walk through, it goes beep or hopefully not. Then you walk into the park.

If you let them know how mad you are about the 'hassle' that probably won't improve your situation.

Here is the easy solution that my wife and I use most of the time: don't bring a bag to the park.

Walk around the bag check stations (and a hundred or so people) and into the park! Now we might be asked to walk through a metal detector. No problem 'cause we aren't going to set them off anyway.

Random checks sound much better than herding everyone through. That just filled my head with visions of backed-up airports and whiny children.

"Please arrive 2 hours before your scheduled park entry time."

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by WDW John
A major hassle to walk through a metal detector? I don't get it. You walk through, it goes beep or hopefully not. Then you walk into the park.

If you let them know how mad you are about the 'hassle' that probably won't improve your situation.

Here is the easy solution that my wife and I use most of the time: don't bring a bag to the park.

Walk around the bag check stations (and a hundred or so people) and into the park! Now we might be asked to walk through a metal detector. No problem 'cause we aren't going to set them off anyway.

Random checks sound much better than herding everyone through. That just filled my head with visions of backed-up airports and whiny children.

"Please arrive 2 hours before your scheduled park entry time."

Yes... agreed, Random checks DO sound better than screening everyone... but I tend to carry lots of camera gear on me in the parks (Which does throw up a red flag with airport security once in a while. I like to "carry on" those items instead of having Magilla Gorilla tossing my gear around in the belly of the plane) ... and having a stranger man handling my expensive gear tends to upset me a bit.

Anyway... lets hope this does not become a huge hassle.. and that I do not get flagged everytime I enter a park. :cool: :wave:

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by DMC-12

Considering nothing has actually been installed or actually tested at this point, Y'All jumping the gun. A LOT.

Bravo466

The airport in Cancun Mexico has the best way of selecting who has to be searched by customs. There is a traffic light with a red and green light. You push a button as you walk through and if the light turns green, you continue. If it turns red you are searched. How a person is choosen is done by a random generating computer program.

WDWJohn,

You never carry a cell phone, PDA, camera, car keys, loose change, or wear a belt or shoes to the park? Any of these things will set of the metal detectors.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
I'm not going to be reading all three pages ... but quite simply its not racial profiling because Disney is not the government. The worst they can do is remit entry and inform the authorities if you have something on you trying to go through the gates. If they told you to wait while they called someone, you have every right to leave. That being said, they CAN say "no you can't go in" at any time.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by OnWithTheShow
WDWJohn,

You never carry a cell phone, PDA, camera, car keys, loose change, or wear a belt or shoes to the park? Any of these things will set of the metal detectors.

They can turn the sensitivity down so that it won't go off with car keys, loose change, belts, or shoes. Everything else would set them off, but they already check camera bags, so those won't be a problem. They just need to be explicit on exactly what needs to be removed from the pockets. Airports are not good with this. They say "remove all metal objects" when a lot of them will not set the detectors off. Disney needs to post signs saying "remove all cell phones, cameras, etc." to make this system flow expeditiously. And they need to tell all guests upon check-in that pocket knives or other possible weapons will not be allowed or tolerated at the Theme Parks. They also need to install signs at all entrances to guest parking areas, especially the booths where you pay for parking. If Disney is explicit on their expectations, this will flow smoothly (within reason).

Hank Scorpio

I said it once and i'll say it again.

Big Deal!

Why do the majority of you get so angry when Disney tried to do something for YOUR safety. Geez, its gonna hold you up a few minuites. Boo hoo. Your whole vacation is ruined.

And again you'd be the same people complaining that simple security measures like metal detectors where not used *if* there was a terroist attack of some sort.

Why not simply slow down and use those 5 mins (if that) your queing up to walk through the detectors to take in your surroundings and smell the roses. Your in Disney World! Don't forget that.

WDW John

Originally posted by OnWithTheShow
WDWJohn,

You never carry a cell phone, PDA, camera, car keys, loose change, or wear a belt or shoes to the park?

With the exception of sneakers, right, I don't carry any of those things into the park. We will occasionally bring our cameras and when we do we go through the bag checks (obviously). And I haven't had trouble with sneakers yet.

If they have the sensitiity set so low to pick up sneakers, I think they will be stopping a lot of people...

Senderella

Originally posted by Bravo466
The airport in Cancun Mexico has the best way of selecting who has to be searched by customs. There is a traffic light with a red and green light. You push a button as you walk through and if the light turns green, you continue. If it turns red you are searched. How a person is choosen is done by a random generating computer program.

Thats the way its done when you drive across the border into Mexico also by the Federales or whoever it is that does the checks. Living right on the border, I've been searched a lot going in. In all honesty, the Border Patrol does the same thing coming back too. I wouldn't say it was a random system or anything (I ought to ask our friend who's BP cuz I really don't have a clue how they base their searches), but coming back into the US, I've been asked to pull into one of the spaces and searched also. LOL I'm not exactly in any sort of "profile category" either. The cars may have been now that I think about it. The last time I got searched both GOING INTO Mexico & COMING INTO the USA, I had my friends' mother with me who is 60 years old. LOL Ok Sorry for the drift. :hammer:

AndyP

Random checks are used at airports usually with great success. This is because the guards are trained to identify suspicous travellers and usually they are very successful, yet the searches 'appear' to be random. And by this I don't mean they pick out those of certain race, etc. The guards are trained to identify certain body language. If Disney uses this technique I can see this being a manageable way of increasing security at the theme parks without creating excessive waiting times to enter the park!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by AndyP
Random checks are used at airports usually with great success. This is because the guards are trained to identify suspicous travellers and usually they are very successful, yet the searches 'appear' to be random. And by this I don't mean they pick out those of certain race, etc. The guards are trained to identify certain body language. If Disney uses this technique I can see this being a manageable way of increasing security at the theme parks without creating excessive waiting times to enter the park!

I have to believe it's more random than "who looks like a terrorist". I like to think I don't resemble a terrorist, and I've been stopped for a search a few times. I think it would be borderline racial profiling if they said "you look like a terrorist". I understand they are using body language, but I don't think all terrorists look like terrorists...if any of them had any brains, they'd try to look normal.

AndyP

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
I have to believe it's more random than "who looks like a terrorist". I like to think I don't resemble a terrorist, and I've been stopped for a search a few times. I think it would be borderline racial profiling if they said "you look like a terrorist". I understand they are using body language, but I don't think all terrorists look like terrorists...if any of them had any brains, they'd try to look normal.

Yeah I agree. I must have said what I meant wrong. Some of it is random but, if you've ever watched a show on an Airport, the guards employed use body language and unfortunately, stereotypes to find those smuggling food and drugs into countries. Obviously this is different at WDW as they would only be looking for terrorists. Much more difficult and so there would be alot of random searches, simply because we already know 99.9999999999999999999999....% of visitors will have no terrorist connections. But the only way for such 'random' searches to be successful is surely to have guards trained in spotting suspicious body language, those avoiding guards, trying not to look directly at them,(I don't know I'm no expert, just an example). Or perphaps this is just meant as a simple deterrant? But, as i previously said, if searches of this nature are carried out, surely armed guards will be required at WDW. While I don't mind this, I would hope it is done discretely.(I'm sure it would though if used).

AndyP

Originally posted by TAC

My question is, would Disney use real professionals or at least professionally train people for their role? I do NOT think that Disney security should be the only people trained. I think Disney should use "undercover" people that look like "Joe Tourist." That way, anyone wanting to try anything can't tell who is watching, and the people that would be watching would be a separate entity from the normal security people [If it were me, they would be trained in such a way that not even other employees know who they are].

I agree, joe tourist is a good idea!Having watched this show called 'Airport' in the Uk though, when the officers stop people they expect of bringing in illegal food, they are 9/10 stopping the right people. Stopping terrorists is a lot more difficult though. I don't know about the Swiss Army Knives thingy though, but I think people should leave them in their car or at the hotel anyway, why would you need one at Disney? You can't take them on a plane so most international tourists won't carry them, but i don't think that is the sort of thing Disney is concentrating on stopping here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom