use of free refill mugs at other hotels

Epcot4ME

We have a bunch of mugs from the moderates and All-stars which we have consistantly been able to use interchangably at whichever one we were staying at. I don't think we've bought a mug in a couple of years. :cool:

Does the Contemporary have this sort of free refill mug too?? We aren't planning to bring any of our others since I figure they will notice an All-Stars mug!

Epcot4ME

billybaruch1

I'm going to WDW soon and I'll find out the definitive answer to this question! As someone who's done a 360 degree turn on this... oops, I mean a 180 degree turn, I can see the 1 mug - 1 resort - 1 visit "school of thought." But people have reported buying mugs that were refillable forever. Whether a Baltic Avenue mug is good on the Boardwalk or Park Place, I wouldn't know.

What I do know is there is a huge difference between the price of coffee, tea and soft drinks for a family and the price of resort accomodations, park tickets, food and souvenirs for that same family. Every family that returns to WDW expecting "free" refills is probably thousands of dollars added to Disney's coffers. The question the "1 resort - 1 visit" posters may want to consider is why wouldn't Disney want to trade a week's worth of refills for thousands of dollars?

Upvote 0

AriBelle23

Wow...I just wanted to say that this is only my second time posting something here, and like only my 4th time actually reading these posts...and wow, some people care waaaaay too much about really stupid stuff. I have been staying at the moderate resorts with my family for the last 6 years in a row...I am sorry but Disney prices are very outrageous at times, the mug deal is a GREAT idea, especially for a large family. I am sorry but my family cannot afford to buy 11 dollar mugs every time we visit. To some people 11 dollars is nothing, but to others it makes a big deal. I was raised to save money, which is why I can support myself now at my young age. Disney makes enough money, I don;t think the extra soda that I didn't buy another mug for is going to hurt anyone. But in any case, I am a huge Disney World fanatic, but sometimes people take the whole Disney-a-holic thing a little too far. Think about it...for real.

Upvote 0

billybaruch1

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your input, AriBelle23! :lol:

You may be right about the "stupid stuff," and the "think about it...for real." So my suggestion is for you to take your own advice. Don't waste your time on topics that are so far beneath you as to be considered "stupid" and "unreal."

Your point regarding Disney prices and whether you can afford them has nothing to do with whether mugs are refillable for life at every resort. The point you raise regarding Disney making enough money and therefore you will not be hurting anyone is the very common and typical shoplifter's excuse.

The best advice of all: from Jiminy Cricket, "Let your conscience be your guide." :sohappy:

Upvote 0

epcotfan

Originally posted by AriBelle23
I am sorry but my family cannot afford to buy 11 dollar mugs every time we visit. To some people 11 dollars is nothing, but to others it makes a big deal. I was raised to save money, which is why I can support myself now at my young age. Disney makes enough money, I don;t think the extra soda that I didn't buy another mug for is going to hurt anyone. But in any case, I am a huge Disney World fanatic, but sometimes people take the whole Disney-a-holic thing a little too far. Think about it...for real.

Disney is in the business to make a profit-hence their new mug policy. Think of it this way: If you owned a business would you be happy with people telling you that you made enough money so you should start giving away extra inventory for free? The way I see it, is if I can afford thousands of dollars for a Disney vacation I can spring for a $10 mug. (Also makes a great souvenir) If the cost of a mug is going to prevent me from travelling then I need to rethink my budget.

BTW: The mugs at Caribbean Beach have the date printed on the side now. I've been travelling to Disney since the mug program began and there was never any documention that they were good for unlimited refills for life.

Upvote 0

AriBelle23

Goodness! I finally met people who were more obsessed with Disney than me! I cannot believe I actually got into a debate about refill mugs on this little Disney forum chat thing. I thought it might be fun...but then I realized that I actually have a life and don't have time to debate why I feel Disney can afford to refill my souvineer mug! (they can afford it by the way) Just wanted to express that I am one to save money and spend the extra 11 dollars on something a little more valuable. I also laughed at the "shoplifters excuse" I thought that was humorous because I work in retail for my side job! Oh and you don't have to worry about replying because I don't have time to come back here. for real.

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by s25843
Disney Makes plenty of dough off of Sodas! I read somewhere that the most expensive part of the entire mix is the cup, and soda and cup combined only cost the company somthing like 20 cents

I know!! It’s dirt-cheap! Think of it this way to:

A Buddy of mine works in the brewing industry... now he says draft beer at a bar is dirt-cheap... why?.. cause its in a keg...

Now bottles and cans on the other hand, are a bit more expensive, why? You are paying for the packaging, i.e. the actual bottle or can and the process to put it in that container.

Now... the syrup and the carbonated water at the soda fountains is dirt-cheap... no one is loosing millions of $$$ over someone that chooses to re-use an older re-fill mug.
:) :wave:

*edited because of poor spelling and dyslexia :lol: *

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Know what else I heard?

Disney pays its CM's next to nothing, so it is costing them very little to keep the park gates open.

Everyone knows that the biggest expense for Disney is castmembers' salaries.

So I should be able to use my park hoppers from my last trip to get in.

Disney can afford it. After all, ABC television is doing GREAT!!!

Upvote 0

DMC-12

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Know what else I heard?

Disney pays its CM's next to nothing, so it is costing them very little to keep the park gates open.

Everyone knows that the biggest expense for Disney is castmembers' salaries.

So I should be able to use my park hoppers from my last trip to get in.

Disney can afford it. After all, ABC television is doing GREAT!!!

:rolleyes: Thats not what I ment... So thank you for being the first to take what I said out of context and twist it.... I knew it was going to happen.

Look... I dont re-use my old mugs.. and I am not saying to go rip off Disney...ugh...

I was just explaining the cost of goods issue in general. Sheesh

Upvote 0

dxwwf3

Originally posted by DMC-12
:rolleyes: Thats not what I ment... So thank you for being the first to take what I said out of context and twist it.... I knew it was going to happen.

Look... I dont re-use my old mugs.. and I am not saying to go rip off Disney...ugh...

I was just explaining the cost of goods issue in general. Sheesh

I feel for ya man :lol: I got what you said. The point you were trying to make is this isn't making or breaking Disney. And if you want to buy new mugs that's fine and if you don't you're not going to cause the company to go bankrupt :lol:

Upvote 0

tj229er

I was recently at the coronado springs resort and bought one of the refil mugs. They said they were good for life but only at that resort. Also they sell these mugs at blizard beach that are refill mugs but they have a barcode on them that u scan on the refill station's.

Upvote 0

RMJKS05

Back On Topic...

...Just got back from our stay at POR. Had brought with us 2 refillables from my folks previous trip, same resort, different design, no problem using them. Bought 3 new ones for DDs & DS.

Noticed plenty of folks using refillables from other resorts at POR Food Court. In the wrong they were, but nobody seemed to notice or care. Me, they would have caught.

Upvote 0

WendyOkada

Getting involved against my better judgment

I've seen this mug debate all over the boards so I'm probably going to regret this (ha ha) but here's my opinion... :D

I do agree with the fact that it's not as practical for the mugs to be restricted only to the resort from which you purchased it.

HOWEVER, I also believe that it is not unfair for guests to have to repurchase mugs for subsequent trips.

It would be ideal to have bar coded mugs that you would purchase at your resort and would have an expiration date (the last day of your trip) BUT are useable at any resort you go to during that trip (you might want to try different resort food courts and it'd be nice if you could take your mug with you).

Regardless of whether or not Disney already makes enough money off its guests is not a factor here. Disney is in the business of making money and they have established a set of rules for its guests. Whether or not you think they are fair is not the point - rules are rules and like my mom says "if you live in my house, you abide by my rules". (well, my mom didn't say that but I'm sure someone's mom did)

If I didn't think it was fair for Disney to charge me each year for drinks during my trips, what's to stop me from stealing food too ("because Disney overcharges anyway, they aren't going to miss a hamburger or two"). Or maybe I think that because I paid a lot for my hotel room, I should get some free nights ("Holiday Inn isn't this expensive, therefore I should get more since I'm paying more at Disney...")

If you don't like the way Disney operates, don't come to the Mouse's house to play. Go somewhere where you feel you get a better bang for your buck - Disney is by no means the cheapest vacation destination out there. However, Disney knows people value the experience of Disney and that's why they charge what they do - because ultimately people pay it.

If you can't afford $11 per trip (and technically, I think it's supposed to be $11 per mug PER PERSON but I'm sure there are a lot of people who buy 1 mug for their whole family to share), then just don't drink soda. There are lots of water fountains around the parks and you can probably get cups of water for free in the restaurants. Nowhere does it state that you are required to purchase the mugs during your stay. If I want lobster but can only afford chicken, then I just get chicken. If I want lobster then I fork out the extra cash for the lobster. I don't complain that I should get lobster for the price of the chicken just because I think the lobster is too expensive. That's just the way things work and you should accept it.

Sorry for being so curt, but these posts were just making me bonkers.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I'm there in 17 days!!!!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DMC-12

Re: Getting involved against my better judgment

Originally posted by WendyOkada
Regardless of whether or not Disney already makes enough money off its guests is not a factor here. Disney is in the business of making money and they have established a set of rules for its guests. Whether or not you think they are fair is not the point - rules are rules and like my mom says "if you live in my house, you abide by my rules". (well, my mom didn't say that but I'm sure someone's mom did)

If I didn't think it was fair for Disney to charge me each year for drinks during my trips, what's to stop me from stealing food too ("because Disney overcharges anyway, they aren't going to miss a hamburger or two"). Or maybe I think that because I paid a lot for my hotel room, I should get some free nights ("Holiday Inn isn't this expensive, therefore I should get more since I'm paying more at Disney...")

And I agree with you 100%
I have enough guilt issues as it is... I would not want anyone to think I was stealing, ripping someone off, or trying to pull one over on someone. :) :wave:

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Just remember....

Disney installed this self-serve system to save money in the beginning.

If it wasn't still in their best interest to have it, it wouldn;t be there now.
Think of it this way...............

Cost of mug purchased by Disney at volume discount: .98 cents
Cost charged by Disney to guests: $11

Amount of soda PREPAID for by guest (at an estimated cost of 20 cents per serving): 55 servings.

DAT'S ALOTTA POP for one trip!

:slurp:

Upvote 0

TIGGER-FAN

I have been watching this thread with great distress. From a Law Enforcement Officers point of view I can say this. If the mugs are supposed to be for the leangth of 1 stay, then that is what it means 1 stay not your next 6 stays and not bring your own from home. Lets face it, people who are trying to buck the system to save a few dollars are stealing from Disney. I have been to WDW several times, yes the prices are high, but I choose to go and enjoy myself. Think about who is watching you when you take these drinks for free when they are not yours to take (your children). What kind of message are you sending them, you are saying it is O.K. to take what you want when it costs to much. I have been in Law Enforcement for many years and have had to arrest children for stealing from stores. Many of them have done it because their parents do it. Yes it may cost you a few dollars more to buy mugs each time, I think if you can afford to go to disney, you can afford to buy the mugs. But more important do it because it is the right thing to do and show your children it is the right thing to do. Just my 2 cents worth!

Upvote 0

WendyOkada

Exactly!

Originally posted by TIGGER-FAN
I have been to WDW several times, yes the prices are high, but I choose to go and enjoy myself. Yes it may cost you a few dollars more to buy mugs each time, I think if you can afford to go to disney, you can afford to buy the mugs. But more important do it because it is the right thing to do and show your children it is the right thing to do.

ITA. Disney is in general priced quite high, but I agree, if you can afford to even GO to WDW, you can afford to pay for the mugs. OR, for people who save all their money to just be able to go, then maybe a sacrifice you have to make is not drinking soda. If you feel that the need for soda/coffee/chocolate is so great, then fork out the $ to pay for your drinks.

Definitely think about who's watching you and following in your footsteps.

:lookaroun

Upvote 0

HebeJebe

"Cost of mug purchased by Disney at volume discount: .98 cents
Cost charged by Disney to guests: $11

Amount of soda PREPAID for by guest (at an estimated cost of 20 cents per serving): 55 servings. "

Woo Hoo! I'm making out like a bandit!!!

Upvote 0

s25843

Re: Exactly!

Originally posted by WendyOkada
ITA. Disney is in general priced quite high, but I agree, if you can afford to even GO to WDW, you can afford to pay for the mugs. OR, for people who save all their money to just be able to go, then maybe a sacrifice you have to make is not drinking soda. If you feel that the need for soda/coffee/chocolate is so great, then fork out the $ to pay for your drinks.

Definitely think about who's watching you and following in your footsteps.

:lookaroun

Or You Stop at a Grocery Store on the way and pick up some Stuff...

Big Mickey is Always Watching :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom