USA Today newspaper delivery to guest rooms to be discontinued

MKCP 1985

Another step back for Disney resorts, in my opinion. Didn't some of these just get 4 diamonds? Well, I guess it isn't that big a deal since I can walk to the elevator and get the newspaper that used to be delivered to my door. :shrug:

Offsite, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt etc. continue to provide more amenities for lesser cost. :king:

DonaldDoleWhip

If they're doing this to reduce wasted paper, :sohappy:.

If they're going to buy the same amount of newspapers and are just doing this to cut service expenditures, :brick:.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Probably my fault... And those like me.

Never even so much as glanced at the cover, certainly never opened it. Waste of lumber.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe it is just me, but I have never seen a newspaper that I never read, dropped off at my door every morning as the hallmark of a deluxe resort. Quite honestly I find it more of an annoyance than a perk.

Minnie1976

Who wants to read the news in Disney World? Not me, too depressing. I want to forget the news and world(except Disney World) when I'm there.

Captain Chaos

The only time I ever remember a newspaper left at my door was when i stayed at Boardwalk around 2000... And it was the Sunday Orlando Sentinel if I recall correctly... Eh, not a huge fuss especially since all resorts now have wi-fi and most people get their news online now anyway...

slappy magoo

Oh, no! Now where will guests go to get their poorly written half-factual infotainment?

Oh, right...free wifi.

:ROFLOL:

But seriously, ladies and germs, I don't see this as a loss of an amenity so much as a reduction of waste. I'll go on a limb and say most guests never really read the paper while on vacation. I know more than a few times I've seen people here on this forum talk about how they don't want to be interrupted by "the real world" whilst at Disney, and I'm sure they don't represent a minority. Those that still want a paper will be able to get one for free, they just have to walk to get it; maybe a nice compromise in the future will be that guests can specify upon check-in that they want a paper delivered to their room, thus keeping guests who want a paper and eliminating all those extra newspapers for guests who don't want them.

But there's an element of truth in my joke, no matter how funny I'm not. Most people who can afford Disney Deluxe resorts probably can afford smartphones, netbooks, tablets, laptops. Now that all the deluxes have free wifi, there are plenty of options to have the whole internet at their disposal, if they choose. USA Today is barely a newspaper, it's main attraction is giving you little snippets of news from around the country, so travelers can be somewhat updated on what's going on in their state. But you can easily find the website for your hometown paper and get (in theory) more stories in more detail than what USA Today can afford.

Sorry, I just don't see this as a big step back for Deluxe resorts.

KingdomofDreams

I don't see this as a loss either. The vast majority of individuals get their news via either an iPad, laptop, smart phone, etc., or turn on their network of choice and catch it on TV. But, I'm guessing any Deluxe guest that calls the desk and specifically requests a newspaper could most likely have one brought to their room.

Personally, I'm more interested in free in-room wireless, a full range of television choices, and a good selection of room service options available until at least midnight every night.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't see this as a loss either. The vast majority of individuals get their news via either an iPad, laptop, smart phone, etc., or turn on their network of choice and catch it on TV. But, I'm guessing any Deluxe guest that calls the desk and specifically requests a newspaper could most likely have one brought to their room.

Personally, I'm more interested in free in-room wireless, a full range of television choices, and a good selection of room service options available until at least midnight every night.
Here here. I would give my right arm for the Discovery Channel or TLC to be added to the line up.

MissM

Here here. I would give my right arm for the Discovery Channel or TLC to be added to the line up.
Agreed!! It's miserable trying to find something decent to watch in the necessary downtime between getting to the room and going to sleep. You need that period to unwind and relax and that's what cable is for!

djkidkaz

Yeah, Im so glad to hear this! :sohappy:

I always hated waking up and looking out from my balcony to be in the Disney spirit only to open my door to start my Disney magical day and see a paper on the ground "6 Americans dead in Iraq battle".

And with free wifi now, this is/was a waste of paper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom