USA TODAY - Long Lines May Be The Thing Of The Past

efudd

Perhaps the poor folk dont consider the over priced hotels value for money purely to gain an extra hour or two in a park bursting with all the other drones taking advantage of EMH. Im led to believe that some non Disney operated hotels in the Orlando area offer Deluxe accommodation that truly complies with the general definition rather than a price band marker.

certainly all hotels off property aren't fleabags. And people pick them for lots of reasons. We own DVC- sometimes we stay DVC Points, sometimes we buy rooms onsite (deluxe, home away from home, value). Sometimes we buy rooms offsite. All depends on what we are looking for at that time.

But without a doubt it is a very rare day when you can get a "better deal" for a disney room then an "offsite" hotel- looking at just the accommodation- (# stars, size of room, amenities etc.).

When the "value" Disney resorts are basically small motel rooms for ~150 a night- there's a lot of people that just can't afford to pay that for a "place to sleep" along with the cost of admission.

Try to find a place for a family of 5 on Disney property- then see what a room (even a suite) for a family of 5 costs "offsite" and there's a big different there too.

Most people that can afford disney world are very lucky and they should realize that. there are folks who just cant afford it at all. And people in between that can't afford to stay onsite.

thelookingglass

Laughing-
Disney is a giant caste system. Can you say extra magic hours?

Tell the people that can’t afford to stay onsite stuck on 192 in a fleabag that they get the same things the lucky folks who can afford onsite accommodations can’t get.

both peoples tickets cost the same yet the poor folk in the fleabag are NOT getting to same oppurtunity.

That point aside- why dont we see what the actual end game is before we complain. Maybe there will be some cool stuff like the talking mickey dolls were supposed to evolve into....
Laughing-
at the notion that all hotels outside of property are fleabags The $150 a night at All-Stars can get you a much better hotel room off property.

RSoxNo1

Best case scenario to limit the abuse of this system while still allowing some flexibility. Guests can "reserve" Fastpasses for all 4 parks on any given day, including overlap - but those Fastpasses only become active when your ticket goes through that park's entrance scanner. It also ties up your ticket so that you can't use it for Fastpass during that time. It would also mean that you can only get a new Fastpass every two hours.

efudd

Laughing-
at the notion that all hotels outside of property are fleabags The $150 a night at All-Stars can get you a much better hotel room off property.

exactly- you can stay at one of the bonnet creek places- hilton, waldorf astoria, or wyndam condos- and be just as close as a value resort (maybe closer depending on the exact room!) and spend the same 150 for a lot more stars and square feet in the room :)

So you pay a disney "tax" which basically gets you early admission, the ability to charge to your room, and get resort package delivery (they dont even deliver to your room anymore). Can't afford /dont want to pay the tax and less rides for you (if that's your thing)

PalisadesPkteer

Thinking that Maybe it will work the following way.

You can reserve a certain number of fast passes for your vacation ahead of time.

Then when you check-in at hotel you pick these up. You can use them at any fast pass ride and for anytime you choose, however, you can not acquire any more fast passes until the reserved ones are used up first. It will be tied into the hotel room key / park ticket. So system will only allow you to get and use one for yourself (thumbprints etc.?)

What do you guys and gals think?

Quoting myself here RSoxNo1. They will need to tie it into the system some how or else people will really be screaming at Guest relations because they can not get a fast pass even thought the park just opened.

draybook

Laughing-
Disney is a giant caste system. Can you say extra magic hours?

Tell the people that can’t afford to stay onsite stuck on 192 in a fleabag that they get the same things the lucky folks who can afford onsite accommodations can’t get.

both peoples tickets cost the same yet the poor folk in the fleabag are NOT getting to same oppurtunity.

That point aside- why dont we see what the actual end game is before we complain. Maybe there will be some cool stuff like the talking mickey dolls were supposed to evolve into....

As someone who's stayed on-site and off-site in a flea bag called Seralago, I thought I'd chime in. This September we're going back for 10 days, with 8 dedicated to the parks. Our package is around $2350, with free dining upgraded to the Table service since we're at a value resort. I did the math and if we stayed off-site at the Seralago, bought 8 non park hopper tickets and you figure $80 a day for a famiyl of four to eat on, and it comes to $2190. So I paid an additional $160 over 10 days for the luxury of extra hours. Seems worth it to me.

Something tells me that if someone can't afford the extra few bucks a day, then they already have finance management issues coming into it.

We're by no means rich at all. I make about 39k a year and luckily in the Memphis area that's not bad. We're a family of four. My daughter cheers, my son plays soccer and my wife is a stay at home mother. If we can make it fit our budget then most others should be able to.

flavious27

Yes, it charges £61.27, so I guess over $90 for 50mb of data to use within 30 days, which is nearly double my contract cost per month and if i was to exceed that it would be £8 per mb. So the plans are not really practical.

I guess the colonies win again?

ddrongowski

No wonder Walt Disney World is getting a bad name, and people at the parks are starting to be angry, short tempered, not having fun guests. People go on vacation to "relax", but now are having their "relaxing" vacation made like everyday "planned out to death" life. To planned out... not enough "lets have fun and let things fall where they may fall" going on.

Would I use this new system? I don't know. After all I do use fastpass once in awhile. But I am not going to race against others to a fastpass system like many of the guests. My family and I go to Disney World for 8 to 10 days, every year. We enjoy taking our time and not rushing. After all this is "family vacation time" and that means slowing down and relaxing, and letting the chips fall where they will. Nothing at any of the parks is that important, that it cannot wait until next year. If it is not there next year, so what, we do not let if bother us. After all there is always something else to do at Walt Disney World.

The point I am trying to make is, do people only go to Disney one time in their lives and only for one day. If so, then yes maybe this will be good for them. But most people here go once every two years if not more. So slow down and enjoy your down time.

Just to let you know, I am a planner and schedule things in detail for my everyday life. But I discovered that doing this at Walt Disney World, made for a lousy trip experience. The maximum amount of planning that is done now, is choosing a primary and secondary park for each day, any more than that is not worth doing, and only ruins our vacation at Walt Disney World.

cynic710

i myself am guilty of being an avid planner. Though I cant imagine going to the parks and having set times for EVERYTHING. Though Ive been at the parks over a dozen times in my life, this will be the first time I bring my son, who will be 22 months when we go in November, along with friends and their new son who will be 16 months. I cant imagine going and making such detailed plans with children of such a young age coming along, anybody with kids knows the unpredictability of their actions and how plans can change in a heartbeat.

nonetheless, there will be some who take advantage of this new strategy, I, on the other hand want to hold onto some unplanned excitment that the parks generate.

certainly all hotels off property aren't fleabags. And people pick them for lots of reasons. We own DVC- sometimes we stay DVC Points, sometimes we buy rooms onsite (deluxe, home away from home, value). Sometimes we buy rooms offsite. All depends on what we are looking for at that time.

But without a doubt it is a very rare day when you can get a "better deal" for a disney room then an "offsite" hotel- looking at just the accommodation- (# stars, size of room, amenities etc.).

When the "value" Disney resorts are basically small motel rooms for ~150 a night- there's a lot of people that just can't afford to pay that for a "place to sleep" along with the cost of admission.

Try to find a place for a family of 5 on Disney property- then see what a room (even a suite) for a family of 5 costs "offsite" and there's a big different there too.

Most people that can afford disney world are very lucky and they should realize that. there are folks who just cant afford it at all. And people in between that can't afford to stay onsite.

Yes, that's right, they're lucky...has nothing to do with hard work, good decision making, appropriate handling of finances, etc.

juniorthomas

What a non-article. USA Today, aka the hotel newspaper, should consider saving their ink. Metro, given away for free on trains, is better and its awful.

flavious27

i myself am guilty of being an avid planner. Though I cant imagine going to the parks and having set times for EVERYTHING. Though Ive been at the parks over a dozen times in my life, this will be the first time I bring my son, who will be 22 months when we go in November, along with friends and their new son who will be 16 months. I cant imagine going and making such detailed plans with children of such a young age coming along, anybody with kids knows the unpredictability of their actions and how plans can change in a heartbeat.

nonetheless, there will be some who take advantage of this new strategy, I, on the other hand want to hold onto some unplanned excitment that the parks generate.

We plan out what parks we go to based on eh, then we plan out our adr after that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom