USA TODAY - Long Lines May Be The Thing Of The Past

SeasonPass2

You mean with the Internet connection that you pay daily for?

It creates a class system that I really don't like. My parents don't and will never have smartphones. They are in their mid 50s. They SPEND at WDW as well. Why should they be put in a lower class of guest experience than a bunch of kids that got dumped off by their parents for the day for babysitting?

Your forgetting the RFID Chip in the wrist band that can be programmed with your complete schedule of what you would like to do today. Not must do today, but would like to do today. Tie this in with a paper schedule/smart phone/PDA and you get a win/win situation.

If you think a class system doesn't already exist at Disney, you must be in upper realm. It's all based how much money you're willing to spend at Disney for your hotel and dinning options. Or look at the various events for DVC, D23, or Florida pass holders.

smk

:hurl::brick:

Sounds like a horrible idea to me! And what's the big thrill about bypassing the check in desk? Are we in that much of a hurry? My wife and I just stayed overnight in a hotel this weekend and we were talking about this stupid online checkin stuff and how we feel like going up to the desk to check in is all part of the fun of staying in a hotel. Now I hate standing in a long line just as much as the next guy, but I don't want it to get to the point where I have to plan out what rides I want to ride and what times. That's just ridiculous. I plan my park days and my restaraunts, but other than that, I don't like to have my whole day planned out, as far as what order to do the rides, when to go into the gift shops, etc. Sounds like this idea takes away ALL spontanaiety. :brick:
Totally Agree with you! I plan only the dates of our trips, not anything else, it is who we are on vacation. We are not alarm clock setters, nor are we commando style vacationers. NOR are we smart phone users, and I don't anticipate being one ever. I have rigidly scheduled days most days of the week here at home, on vacation I want to be spontaneous and relaxed. OMG, if this happens I will not be able to go to my happy place and have it be as enjoyable as I always find it now. Sad.

castevens

So what fan site did they get the inflated billion dollar quote from?

Well if it does cost $1 billion, I want new D/E tickets for that money.

I really think this brings to mind the conversation going on about the capacity soaking that the new FLE will be able to contain. It was brought up that the expansion is building appropriate new capacity for the current levels of attendance, but not preparing the parks for future attendance. When will Disney realize that shuffling people around the same parks with no more things to do will not really help anything?

Jeff456

If this stuff is going to require an internet connection then Disney will have to provide free wifi throughout the parks, because although I have a smartphone, I will not be able to afford extortionate charges for international data. My network would charge me something ridiculous like £5 per mb, for using mobile data abroad!

tractorm3

I would like to know way more about how this system is going to be used and such.

There are just way too many open ends about it.
There are still a ton of people who vacation spur of the moment and still a ton who dont use electronic devices to manage their lives.

At first glance it apears its turning into one of those cruise lines where you have to eat at this time and do these activities between these hours and so on.

I am trying to remain open about it but I think this new system may make or break a trip. I am still not against fast passes but I do feel the amount of fast passes given out are way too many. The stand by lines move so much slower then they used to, No one in my family minds waiting 60-90 min in line for an e-ticket if the line progresses. I remeber waiting for splash mtn for hours with the line wrapped all around the court yard area but the line progressed reasonably so there was alot of eye candy and change of scenery that helped pass time.

having a disney line app on you smart phone/ipod (if they put wifi in the park) I think would combat long lines more then disney could ever. alot more people would update wait times in real time so you can move around crowds and spread crowds out.

OORR....if disney rented a device to you for like 10 bucks/day that was linked to the parks to display all the wait times just like the info boards they have in te parks.

draybook

I think there's a lot of people getting worked up over this and it's not even close to being used yet. Why not wait until it draws near before jumping to the whole "I'm never coming back" speeches?

That being said, if people stop going, that's fine with me, less people for me to worry about when I'm there!

MMFanCipher

I think there's a lot of people getting worked up over this and it's not even close to being used yet. Why not wait until it draws near before jumping to the whole "I'm never coming back" speeches?

That being said, if people stop going, that's fine with me, less people for me to worry about when I'm there!

This is true. Too many unanswered questions. And this might not happen for 5 to 10 years. It takes a long time to implement new tech successfully. Lots of planning and testing should be done.

flavious27

Well if it does cost $1 billion, I want new D/E tickets for that money.

I really think this brings to mind the conversation going on about the capacity soaking that the new FLE will be able to contain. It was brought up that the expansion is building appropriate new capacity for the current levels of attendance, but not preparing the parks for future attendance. When will Disney realize that shuffling people around the same parks with no more things to do will not really help anything?

well capacity is a problem at mk, though I wouldn't call FLE a place not to do anything. any future plans are going to be under wraps until they need to disclose them.

thelookingglass

If you think a class system doesn't already exist at Disney, you must be in upper realm. It's all based how much money you're willing to spend at Disney for your hotel and dinning options. Or look at the various events for DVC, D23, or Florida pass holders.
How much money you spend [currently] doesn't determine how many attractions you can experience. A person with a one day, one park ticket has the same opportunity to ride as many attractions as a person with an AP... for that park, that day.

flavious27

If this stuff is going to require an internet connection then Disney will have to provide free wifi throughout the parks, because although I have a smartphone, I will not be able to afford extortionate charges for international data. My network would charge me something ridiculous like £5 per mb, for using mobile data abroad!

Doesn't your carrier offer some kind of international data plan? I know that at&t offers this after iphone users were getting 30k bills when they went to mexico.

castevens

well capacity is a problem at mk, though I wouldn't call FLE a place not to do anything. any future plans are going to be under wraps until they need to disclose them.

Oh, by no means am I suggesting the the FLE doesn't have anything to do. The argument I am citing just states that the additional capacity gained with the new rides replaces old capacity lost (20,000 leagues) and barely responds to current crowd levels while ignoring future potential increases in attendance

flavious27

Oh, by no means am I suggesting the the FLE doesn't have anything to do. The argument I am citing just states that the additional capacity gained with the new rides replaces old capacity lost (20,000 leagues) and barely responds to current crowd levels while ignoring future potential increases in attendance

20k closed 16 year ago and the FLE adds over 5 acres to the current park layout.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Adds 5 acres? Thought it was being built within an existing foot print. But lets be thankful for getting a replacement attraction 16 years later.

allgar

interesting idea

I like seeing things evolve. Change is scary but with it come great things.

My only mild concern right now is whether I'll have the technology to take advantage of whatever they roll out. I don't own a smart phone and don't usually travel with my laptop unless it's for business.

Still, I'm interested to see what comes of this in the coming years. Anything that makes my time at the Parks more enjoyable is great, whether that's better entertainment in lines (like they've been rolling out little by little) or increased use of fastpass or other technology is great in my books.

Jeff456

Doesn't your carrier offer some kind of international data plan? I know that at&t offers this after iphone users were getting 30k bills when they went to mexico.

Yes, it charges £61.27, so I guess over $90 for 50mb of data to use within 30 days, which is nearly double my contract cost per month and if i was to exceed that it would be £8 per mb. So the plans are not really practical.

efudd

How much money you spend [currently] doesn't determine how many attractions you can experience. A person with a one day, one park ticket has the same opportunity to ride as many attractions as a person with an AP... for that park, that day.

Laughing-
Disney is a giant caste system. Can you say extra magic hours?

Tell the people that can’t afford to stay onsite stuck on 192 in a fleabag that they get the same things the lucky folks who can afford onsite accommodations can’t get.

both peoples tickets cost the same yet the poor folk in the fleabag are NOT getting to same oppurtunity.

That point aside- why dont we see what the actual end game is before we complain. Maybe there will be some cool stuff like the talking mickey dolls were supposed to evolve into....

efudd

Yes, it charges £61.27, so I guess over $90 for 50mb of data to use within 30 days, which is nearly double my contract cost per month and if i was to exceed that it would be £8 per mb. So the plans are not really practical.

can't you just buy a prepaid sim when you get here- like US travelers do when they get to europe so they dont get hosed?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Laughing-
Disney is a giant caste system. Can you say extra magic hours?

Tell the people that can’t afford to stay onsite stuck on 192 in a fleabag that they get the same things the lucky folks who can afford onsite accommodations can’t get.

both peoples tickets cost the same yet the poor folk in the fleabag are NOT getting to same oppurtunity.

That point aside- why dont we see what the actual end game is before we complain. Maybe there will be some cool stuff like the talking mickey dolls were supposed to evolve into....

Perhaps the poor folk dont consider the over priced hotels value for money purely to gain an extra hour or two in a park bursting with all the other drones taking advantage of EMH. Im led to believe that some non Disney operated hotels in the Orlando area offer Deluxe accommodation that truly complies with the general definition rather than a price band marker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom