Upset with Moonlight Magic

Megbutnotmegan

I agree with the advice to try on the day of the event. I went to the Epcot event in August. While I was waiting at the desk to check in at BLT before the event, a man in front of me added 5 people to his party with no problem. I think it’s a little crazy that they’ll do that but I guess that’s pixie dust for you.

jaklgreen

Well I did not get into the DHS moonlight magic. This was going to be the first time that Moonlight magic is offered during my stay. I am just 1 person, surely they can fit me in. :cry: Maybe they need to add another criteria to the list, letting those who have never been to the event yet get first round pick. It is discouraging when you see all of these non-DVC bloggers going in with DVC members that invite them. Maybe we can keep it to actually DVC members staying on property if they are so limited.

jaklgreen

I know it is off topic for this thread, but this is a point that for some reason MANY owners of DVC do not understand, and they really should before the buy in.

DVC is a timeshare, and by Florida law, your dues cover the expected operating costs of your resort, and that is it. Housekeeping services - part of your dues, laundry for the sheets and towels -part of your dues, a new roof - part of your dues, lifeguards and entertainment at the pool - part of your dues, the free movie rentals - part of your dues, fees paid to WDW transportation to service your resort with buses - part of your dues These are all part of the operating costs of your resort.

Things that are not part of our dues - Moonlight Magic, the EPCOT lounge, discounts on merchandise, tickets, or events, the costs of the DVC kiosks, the free ice cream during sales presentation, etc.

There is also no profit for DVC built into your dues.

It is important to understand, because it both makes people realize what their dues are going to, and it also makes people realize that when they complain because housekeeping is not every do, or because they do not want you to take 15 towels at the pool, that doing so keeps your dues lower.

-dave

I can see what you are saying Dave, BUT as part of the sales pitch, they promote these special events as sort of a given. These are one of the reasons why they say to buy direct. Not once during the sales pitch did anyone say that there is a good chance that I would not be able to get into these. I did and do realize they are limited, but I would think that they would first make it a priority that anyone actually staying on property would get the chance to go first, and then if there are spots left over then open them up. Also limit the amount of tickets to those who are on your reservation.

nickys

Premium Member
I can see what you are saying Dave, BUT as part of the sales pitch, they promote these special events as sort of a given. These are one of the reasons why they say to buy direct. Not once during the sales pitch did anyone say that there is a good chance that I would not be able to get into these. I did and do realize they are limited, but I would think that they would first make it a priority that anyone actually staying on property would get the chance to go first, and then if there are spots left over then open them up. Also limit the amount of tickets to those who are on your reservation.

I totally agree with limiting them to those listed on your reservation.

But they do offer them to those staying onsite first. There were very few tickets held back, and they disappeared in 10 minutes apparently!

I don’t see what else they can do. If they let every DVC owner staying onsite in plus their guests, the parks would be at capacity, maybe even exceed capacity. And there would be no point in having the event.

As for the sales pitch. They actually told you you could go? Not that you are only eligible to go if you buy direct? Of course they’re going to make it sound like you can go. Just like they tell you you can use your points at any resort at 7 months. I bet they didn’t tell you that there wouldn’t be availability at some resorts at certain times of the year! Or even certain room types.

These events should be treated as a bonus, which you might get into. You can always try on the day, or when you arrive. Someone may have cancelled, which is obviously how people are able to add guests at the last minute.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Crazy idea... have someone else do the registration for you if you can't get in front a of phone/computer at the necessary time.

jaklgreen

I totally agree with limiting them to those listed on your reservation.

But they do offer them to those staying onsite first. There were very few tickets held back, and they disappeared in 10 minutes apparently!

I don’t see what else they can do. If they let every DVC owner staying onsite in plus their guests, the parks would be at capacity, maybe even exceed capacity. And there would be no point in having the event.

As for the sales pitch. They actually told you you could go? Not that you are only eligible to go if you buy direct? Of course they’re going to make it sound like you can go. Just like they tell you you can use your points at any resort at 7 months. I bet they didn’t tell you that there wouldn’t be availability at some resorts at certain times of the year! Or even certain room types.

These events should be treated as a bonus, which you might get into. You can always try on the day, or when you arrive. Someone may have cancelled, which is obviously how people are able to add guests at the last minute.

I understand it is not a sure thing. But they only had a limited amount of tickets for those staying on site to book first, and they kept some back for open. I am saying that those staying on site should have the option first and then if there are are spots left over, then open it up. It seems to favor those who live close because they are able to try for ALL of the events, as opposed to those who have to travel and may or may not be there during those times. And many people have said that they have already been to some of the Moonlight events. Let the people who have never experienced the event go.

nickys

Premium Member
I understand it is not a sure thing. But they only had a limited amount of tickets for those staying on site to book first, and they kept some back for open. I am saying that those staying on site should have the option first and then if there are are spots left over, then open it up. It seems to favor those who live close because they are able to try for ALL of the events, as opposed to those who have to travel and may or may not be there during those times. And many people have said that they have already been to some of the Moonlight events. Let the people who have never experienced the event go.

I’m agreeing with you in the main. And they do limit it to one event per park per year. And the vast majority of the places were released first, based on how long it took to “sell out”. At the first date, it wasn’t actually sold out until around 90 minutes or more, the main issue was not getting through. There wasn’t the same volume the second date and it sold out in 10 minutes.

I don’t really see how it favours those who live closest though. Once they announce the dates, anyone can book a stay to coincide, so that they can try to book. Lots of people do this, then cancel if they don’t get in. Given that many members go 3-4 times a year, a lot of people can do that, not just those that live locally.

My chances, by the way, are slim to none. Given I plan 18 months ahead (actually more, since we come about every 3 years) and then book at 11 months, the chances of my trip coinciding are virtually nil.

Lensman

Oddly enough, for me the dvcmember.com site hasn't worked in months. When I try to login it will just set there and keep refreshing but never let me in. It's super annoying. I actually meant to ask them about that the last time I had them on the phone and forgot about it. They actually have an entire IE dpt you can choose as an option now to help with My Disney Experience issues and I'm sure they could help with that issue too.
I have the same problem logging in with the Chrome browser. Safari works like a charm so I use it.

I'm sure there's some other underlying problem that I could solve but this is one of the reasons I have four different browsers installed on each of my computers.

jaklgreen

Who said volunteer? My rates are high :)

Just pointing out seeking alternatives instead of "adapt to my schedule" demands usually works better.

This is the same for every type of release...

I got on right on time, I just never got through unfortunately.

jaklgreen

I’m agreeing with you in the main. And they do limit it to one event per park per year. And the vast majority of the places were released first, based on how long it took to “sell out”. At the first date, it wasn’t actually sold out until around 90 minutes or more, the main issue was not getting through. There wasn’t the same volume the second date and it sold out in 10 minutes.

I don’t really see how it favours those who live closest though. Once they announce the dates, anyone can book a stay to coincide, so that they can try to book. Lots of people do this, then cancel if they don’t get in. Given that many members go 3-4 times a year, a lot of people can do that, not just those that live locally.

My chances, by the way, are slim to none. Given I plan 18 months ahead (actually more, since we come about every 3 years) and then book at 11 months, the chances of my trip coinciding are virtually nil.

It favors them because they are close and can pretty much go whenever they want. It is easy to book a night or 2 when you are right there. I live in the middle of the country and can only go at certain times. So I can not try for just any of the events and then book a night, they have to have one going on when I just happen to be there.

nickys

Premium Member
It favors them because they are close and can pretty much go whenever they want. It is easy to book a night or 2 when you are right there. I live in the middle of the country and can only go at certain times. So I can not try for just any of the events and then book a night, they have to have one going on when I just happen to be there.

Yes, but nor can they. Because in order to get in you really need to be trying on the first day of booking. So you need to have a resort stay booked first. Given th dates we announced about 3-4 months ahead, that gives lots of members the opportunity to book a stay in the hope of getting tickets.

Just because you and I can’t do that doesn’t mean the system is inherently unfair. Some people really can, and do, just book to go for a couple of nights. And they don’t all live in central Florida.

bpadair32

Hey everyone. I don’t post here often, and I am not one who typically criticizes Disney. We’ve been DVC members for 15 years, have been to WDW many times, and have always loved our experience. It truly is my favorite place.

That said, I am currently VERY upset with the Moonlight Magic registration program. We are getting ready to go (SSR on the 21st) and moved our vacation to that time in large part because of the DHS Moonlight Magic. We did the MK event last time and it was AWESOME, and were all really looking forward to this one.

This is where I start to get upset. They’ve scheduled this registration period during my work hours. On the first registration date, by the time I was able to get a break the preregistration was sold out.

I reached out to Member Services. The lovely woman with whom I spoke told me there was nothing she could do, and referred me to the supervisor and the e-mail contact desk. Both of them recommended I try again on the 13th.

THIS IS MY PROBLEM. The 13th is the SAME day of the week at the SAME TIME as the first registration. I will be working again at that time. This leaves me two choices: take ANOTHER half day of vacation to get registered, or miss it altogether.

Both the registration times and the response is unacceptable. If there are to be two registration times, can they do one of them at a time at which people that work typical working hours on the east coast and central time zone can register? I just cannot believe there is nothing that can be done to accommodate people like me that work hard so they can make the incredible amount of money it requires to take a Disney vacation.

Any advice on what to do from here? I am really disappointed with this response from DVC but I am not sure I have any other recourse but to spend my last vacation day so I can register for my upcoming vacation! Unreal!

I have to say, this may be one of the most ridiculous complaints I have seen on these boards. Why on Earth would they need to accommodate your work schedule for registration times? They have to consider people in time zones all over the world.

Natsalways1

Original Poster
I really like the idea of limiting to those on the reservation. It is cool that folks can bring people that can’t otherwise afford to come, but when the numbers are so limited it is really tough.

Natsalways1

Original Poster
Are you volunteering Flynn?
For us that wasn’t possible. My wife takes the kids to school at that time and I have to work.

So to fill everyone in what happened with me...I had a couple of nice talks with some very friendly cast members. They weren’t able to help me out, but we brainstormed together what could be done to make it a little more fair. I used many of the comments on this post to boost the thoughts, so thanks for posting! Hopefully they help people in the future.

One of the cast members told me to start trying early as sometimes the computer systems might activate a little early. For those of you trying to get in, I would do that in the future. I took some time off from work and started trying at 8:45 ET. I got through at about 8:57, and although the website crashed a couple of times was able to get the reservation at about 9:02. I will say: my iPhone got through but my computer didn’t. Not sure if there is a difference in refresh rate on cell data versus WiFi.

The cast members were really wonderful and understanding, and the tips they provided about how to sign up were good. I am still a little grouchy that I had to take time off, but at least it turned out ok.

I am sorry I didn’t post in between a bit ago and the reservation day with the tips they gave: I actually thought everyone had stopped posting and didn’t check the thread. I do think it is a really good idea to check the day of, and to keep trying periodically in the interim. The reservation has a note about cancellation and I am sure a few people will do so, and it is possible you can get in that way.

Thanks to all for the good advice and conversation. I do appreciate it!

Natsalways1

Original Poster
Dripping? I’d use a different word..... ;)
If that is how you feel that is fine. I really just think if they are going to do two reservation times, they should do different times of the day. Make one during working hours in the east coast, and one elsewhere. Or do one of them on the weekend. There is no reason they have to do the on the same day of the week, at the same time. Then all members would have equal chance.

I would agree with you if there was only one reservation date though....you can’t make everyone happy. My problem was that the solution they provided was just to repeat the problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom