Upset with Moonlight Magic

Natsalways1

Original Poster
Hey everyone. I don’t post here often, and I am not one who typically criticizes Disney. We’ve been DVC members for 15 years, have been to WDW many times, and have always loved our experience. It truly is my favorite place.

That said, I am currently VERY upset with the Moonlight Magic registration program. We are getting ready to go (SSR on the 21st) and moved our vacation to that time in large part because of the DHS Moonlight Magic. We did the MK event last time and it was AWESOME, and were all really looking forward to this one.

This is where I start to get upset. They’ve scheduled this registration period during my work hours. On the first registration date, by the time I was able to get a break the preregistration was sold out.

I reached out to Member Services. The lovely woman with whom I spoke told me there was nothing she could do, and referred me to the supervisor and the e-mail contact desk. Both of them recommended I try again on the 13th.

THIS IS MY PROBLEM. The 13th is the SAME day of the week at the SAME TIME as the first registration. I will be working again at that time. This leaves me two choices: take ANOTHER half day of vacation to get registered, or miss it altogether.

Both the registration times and the response is unacceptable. If there are to be two registration times, can they do one of them at a time at which people that work typical working hours on the east coast and central time zone can register? I just cannot believe there is nothing that can be done to accommodate people like me that work hard so they can make the incredible amount of money it requires to take a Disney vacation.

Any advice on what to do from here? I am really disappointed with this response from DVC but I am not sure I have any other recourse but to spend my last vacation day so I can register for my upcoming vacation! Unreal!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Even if booking window was moved to another time it would cause issues for others. People work all hours whether overnight shift, late shift, Normal day shift, early morning shift etc etc. No way to have a booking time that works for Everyone. This was always the booking time for the past MM events too and you said you successfuly got the MK one before. When I booked for Epcot last year it was at the same time too in the morning if I remember right. Sorry but just like concert tickets etc they often go on sale during working hours. Most DVC members work and still got tickets. DVC does not need to do anything or respond any differently than they did. So sorry you didn’t get tickets to a limited event, but DVC is not in the wrong. Many things booking times are when people are working that’s just how it goes for us that work. I don’t fault DVC if I don’t get in to one of the events being it’s luck of the draw. ;)

Minthorne

They really should have just kicked someone else off the the list who called in at the early time to free a spot to add you when you complained. Or they should just call you the day before the registration open up and ask you if you want tickets first. When there is a limited number allowed for free, and you have gone before, you should always be given special consideration. Seriously, why should you ever be the one who doesn’t get one of the limited tickets. Don’t they know who you are? How dare they not accommodate you. If I were you, I’d sell my DVC. That would show them.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I'm sorry to say but I don't find this to be a really valid complaint. A time will likely not work for all no matter when they pick it. Someone will always have to work. I get not all jobs allow for breaks on trying to get in, but still.

Also IMO if you had done the one at MK you would've known how hard it is for all to get in no matter what and wouldn't have planned a vacation just for MM.

My advice? Find someone to register for you or just realize this one is one you might not get to.

Natsalways1

Original Poster
I'm sorry to say but I don't find this to be a really valid complaint. A time will likely not work for all no matter when they pick it. Someone will always have to work. I get not all jobs allow for breaks on trying to get in, but still.

Also IMO if you had done the one at MK you would've known how hard it is for all to get in no matter what and wouldn't have planned a vacation just for MM.

My advice? Find someone to register for you or just realize this one is one you might not get to.

There is a simple answer to this problem they haven’t taken. They have two different reservation dates....make one of them at a different time. The problem is they do both reservations on the same day of the week at the same time.

Or optimize the number of people that can register by doing it during non-working hours. That is the way it is for Fastpasses and I have never had any complaints with that system...I just wake up early and do it.

For the MK Moonlight Magic, I registered with no problems on my first break.

Natsalways1

Original Poster
I haven’t tried to do this - is it that complicated? Could you just take a break while at work and do it on your smartphone? Or is it so involved that you’d really need to take a day off?

It isn’t that bad but the last time it did take about 20 mins. It could be done at a break but there were none available by the time I hit my first break this time.

Natsalways1

Original Poster
They really should have just kicked someone else off the the list who called in at the early time to free a spot to add you when you complained. Or they should just call you the day before the registration open up and ask you if you want tickets first. When there is a limited number allowed for free, and you have gone before, you should always be given special consideration. Seriously, why should you ever be the one who doesn’t get one of the limited tickets. Don’t they know who you are? How dare they not accommodate you. If I were you, I’d sell my DVC. That would show them.
No need to be mean spirited, my friend. I am not asking for someone else to get kicked off the list, just looking for advice about how I can get on.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The MM registration is insane, regardless, because the demand is so high and the supply is so small. Here's what's crazy though. A couple of years ago when they first started them we didn't even realize one was going on during our trip and I went to the front desk of BLT and asked about it and they gave us all wristbands for it ON THE NIGHT OF THE ACTUAL EVENT! So I would strongly advise that you go to your front desk CM and they may be able to work you in. The MM events are really fun and I really wish there would be more of them. I've said I'd even trade them for just regular EMH nights once a week at every park. Although I read something the other day that said there is usually about 32,000 DVC members on property at any given time and Hollywood Studios alone averages 25,000 a day. So even if the parks were open only to DVC members they could still potentially be massively crowded and hence the limited number of people allowed. At AK it was awesome and you could literally ride Expedition Everest over and over and over and the special meet and greets were really fun and it was awesome to be able to go up and get all the free Mickey bars and lemonade and cookies you could possibly eat. Although I suppose it wasn't really "free" since our dues probably paid for it. But still. LOL!

Natsalways1

Original Poster
The MM registration is insane, regardless, because the demand is so high and the supply is so small. Here's what's crazy though. A couple of years ago when they first started them we didn't even realize one was going on during our trip and I went to the front desk of BLT and asked about it and they gave us all wristbands for it ON THE NIGHT OF THE ACTUAL EVENT! So I would strongly advise that you go to your front desk CM and they may be able to work you in. The MM events are really fun and I really wish there would be more of them. I've said I'd even trade them for just regular EMH nights once a week at every park. Although I read something the other day that said there is usually about 32,000 DVC members on property at any given time and Hollywood Studios alone averages 25,000 a day. So even if the parks were open only to DVC members they could still potentially be massively crowded and hence the limited number of people allowed. At AK it was awesome and you could literally ride Expedition Everest over and over and over and the special meet and greets were really fun and it was awesome to be able to go up and get all the free Mickey bars and lemonade and cookies you could possibly eat. Although I suppose it wasn't really "free" since our dues probably paid for it. But still. LOL!
Great idea, thank you! Totally agree about MM itself. The event at MK over the marathon week was the highlight of our trip, and we are still crossing our fingers that we can somehow get into this one. May just bite the bullet and take vacation on the 13ths to give myself the best chance at doing so!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

It took me 20 minutes to sign up. The browser window automatically refreshed while I was “queued” and once it was my turn I registered. It wasn’t a bad process.
Another DVC member my wife works with said she called at literally the exact moment the lines opened that morning and tried and tried and tried but was never able to get through. She was really irritated about it but it's just the luck of the draw. Obviously the HS is gonna have even more of a demand with people wanting to experience Toy Story Land but even the EPCOT one filled up super quick. Maybe they could start doing one MM event that's for DVC resort guests staying on points only and one for "locals" that aren't staying onsite? Basically have one night where "locals" aren't allowed in unless they are on a multi day stay on points or something?

Natsalways1

Original Poster
Another DVC member my wife works with said she called at literally the exact moment the lines opened that morning and tried and tried and tried but was never able to get through. She was really irritated about it but it's just the luck of the draw. Obviously the HS is gonna have even more of a demand with people wanting to experience Toy Story Land but even the EPCOT one filled up super quick. Maybe they could start doing one MM event that's for DVC resort guests staying on points only and one for "locals" that aren't staying onsite? Basically have one night where "locals" aren't allowed in unless they are on a multi day stay on points or something?
I am not certain, but I think the preferred method for signing up this time is the link on the DVC website. Maybe they could try that on the 13th...

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I am not certain, but I think the preferred method for signing up this time is the link on the DVC website. Maybe they could try that on the 13th...
Oddly enough, for me the dvcmember.com site hasn't worked in months. When I try to login it will just set there and keep refreshing but never let me in. It's super annoying. I actually meant to ask them about that the last time I had them on the phone and forgot about it. They actually have an entire IE dpt you can choose as an option now to help with My Disney Experience issues and I'm sure they could help with that issue too.

nickys

Premium Member
Or optimize the number of people that can register by doing it during non-working hours. That is the way it is for Fastpasses and I have never had any complaints with that system...I just wake up early and do it.

But there is a finite number of places. They don’t need to Optimise the number of people that can register, they were already way over-subscribed.

The fact is you’ve booked one before. And had a great time. But you won’t always get in, and you shouldn’t expect to. There are far more DVC members staying onsite or locally that can be accommodated.

Your chances btw are infinitely greater than mine. Coming from the U.K., and planning over a year ahead, the chances of there even being an event at a time I come, once every 3 years are almost negligible, let alone being able to register.

What was different about the registration for the MK event anyway? Others have said it was at the same time, so it can’t be that your breaks are at a fixed time.

correcaminos

There is a simple answer to this problem they haven’t taken. They have two different reservation dates....make one of them at a different time. The problem is they do both reservations on the same day of the week at the same time.

But this is a problem for you, and only you. I really don't mean to sound uncaring but this is not a situation that I think needs to be 'fixed'

How the site loads is a valid complaint but time of day? You'll never make people happy.

Phonedave

At AK it was awesome and you could literally ride Expedition Everest over and over and over and the special meet and greets were really fun and it was awesome to be able to go up and get all the free Mickey bars and lemonade and cookies you could possibly eat. Although I suppose it wasn't really "free" since our dues probably paid for it. But still. LOL!

I know it is off topic for this thread, but this is a point that for some reason MANY owners of DVC do not understand, and they really should before the buy in.

DVC is a timeshare, and by Florida law, your dues cover the expected operating costs of your resort, and that is it. Housekeeping services - part of your dues, laundry for the sheets and towels -part of your dues, a new roof - part of your dues, lifeguards and entertainment at the pool - part of your dues, the free movie rentals - part of your dues, fees paid to WDW transportation to service your resort with buses - part of your dues These are all part of the operating costs of your resort.

Things that are not part of our dues - Moonlight Magic, the EPCOT lounge, discounts on merchandise, tickets, or events, the costs of the DVC kiosks, the free ice cream during sales presentation, etc.

There is also no profit for DVC built into your dues.

It is important to understand, because it both makes people realize what their dues are going to, and it also makes people realize that when they complain because housekeeping is not every do, or because they do not want you to take 15 towels at the pool, that doing so keeps your dues lower.

-dave

jaklgreen

I tried to get into the DHS moonlight magic and was not able to. This is going to be my first trip where I am actually there when one of these events is going on. I have never been to one. I am hoping to get in on their second round of reservations. But just like the OP, IDK if I will be able to. I work in a restaurant and can not just stop and get on my phone whenever I want. There are plenty of us that do not have office jobs that allow us personal time whenever we want. It is frustrating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom