Updates to the Seas Pavilion

Dutch Inn '76

You must of not have been to the Shedd aquarium in Chicago.

I've been to the Shedd, Boston, Chattanooga, Baltimore & Audubon and IMHO, the Georgia Aquarium is the best of them all. ...but really that's beside the point. When Living Seas opened, it was a huge groundbreaking attraction - that was also a beautiful groundbreaking aquarium. Since then, several new aquariums have opened that outpace TLS significantly. There's no "wow factor" there anymore at WDW. Although Nemo is a swing and a miss, they had to do something to change TLS, because it was so outclassed to the point of being obsolete.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

My bad. I see you were talking about the fish that pops out of the shipwrecked boat.

Weird they would turn off such a simple effect. Even though it is a small effect, I hope they can get it running again.

Castle Cake Apologist

My bad. I see you were talking about the fish that pops out of the shipwrecked boat.

Weird they would turn off such a simple effect. Even though it is a small effect, I hope they can get it running again.

He came out too far into the ride envelope, so it was decided to turn the effect off for the most part.

The anglerfish drives me nuts. How hard is it to keep one kuka arm running consistently? Manufacturing plants and Universal manage to keep Kuka arms functioning on a much larger scale, but Disney can't keep this little puppet running... kinda sad.

raymusiccity

I guess they've given up on the small effects and forgotten one of the quotes from Walt:

"Whenever I go on a ride, I think about what's wrong with it, and how can I make it better."

matt9112

I've been the Shedd, Chattanooga, Baltimore & Audubon and IMHO, the Georgia Aquarium is the best of them all. ...but really that's beside the point. When Living Seas opened, it was a huge groundbreaking attraction - that was also a beautiful groundbreaking aquarium. Since then, several new aquariums have opened that outpace TLS significantly. There's no "now factor" there anymore at WDW. Although Nemo is a swing and a miss, they had to do something to change TLS, because it was so outclassed to the point of being obsolete.

it's still obsolete....like everything great that used to be at epcot.

matt9112

He came out too far into the ride envelope, so it was decided to turn the effect off for the most part.

The anglerfish drives me nuts. How hard is it to keep one kuka arm running consistently? Manufacturing plants and Universal manage to keep Kuka arms functioning on a much larger scale, but Disney can't keep this little puppet running... kinda sad.

#prioritys

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

That's kinda the opinion I have as well, but I think that may be partially because of what they are trying to present and how they are trying to present it. In its current form, as odd as this may sound, The Seas focuses too much on the animals. I'm okay with Disney displaying animals just for the wonder and beauty of the animals, but that is something much more appropriate to Animal Kingdom (and I'd love to see them at some point build something similar to the Ocean Beauty exhibit at Chimelong Ocean Kingdom [Google it, it's pretty spectacular]). Epcot used to be more about human ingenuity than nature/biology and I feel like Living Seas was based more on the mysteries of the ocean and human ingenuity in exploring the ocean than on the actual biology itself. Until/unless the Nemo themes goes, I don't see this ever changing, but I feel like they could work with the current building and make something spectacular about the science/technology of exploring the ocean and then the comparison of the Seas to other aquariums would be much more moot.

bcoachable

Did I dream it or at one point was there talk of the EPCOT hotel, that is to be, possibly going behind the Seas pavilion at one point?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Did I dream it or at one point was there talk of the EPCOT hotel, that is to be, possibly going behind the Seas pavilion at one point?
Yes and as far as I know it's still happening (?)
You did, but the one that was directly involved with the pavilion thankfully was scrapped. Currently the proposal is in the parking lot / around the bus station.

Dutch Inn '76

I said it was a "swing and a miss." I agree.

...and YES - that's the problem with Epcot - it's obsolete. I think The Mouse realizes it, and they are probably in a real quandary about how to fix it. In a way, TLS is a microcosm of the whole Park.

I like trees - but planting a whole bunch of them won't fix the problem...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom