Updates on El Rio Del Tiempo

THECARISMINE

Sounds Hot I use to love that movie till the tape broke in anycase I love how cheesy the ride is so I really hope its not going to me like a major change and of coarse I hope this doesn't make the ride have lines I love the ride but would hate to see it with anything more then 2 other people in line with me lol I go on it like 50 times a trip lol

JimboJones123

First, none of the 3 amigos are from Fantasyland or are ever considered Fantasyland characters. So, no, this wouldn't make it MK2.0. That's just stupid. They are part of the Disney Core.

Second, either add to it -- or add another attraction. Don't scrap the ride and start fresh. There is always room for MORE attractions. It is essentially Small World 2 for us. Fun to hit the first one, then even more fun when there is a sequel. It's the continuing adventures of the "Dollies".

wannab@dis

MMP said:
The videos really need updating and the drawn on sky line in the last scene also looks badly in need of some help. It's all way too 80's, which all of us Disney regulars find endearing but people going for the first time are going to wonder why the ride is so crappy.
Not all Disney regulars find the leftover 80's look endearing at all. :wave:

grandmath

I think the ride has its charm and can be updated without losing every part of it. Unfortunately, most of its charm comes from nostalgia, including the cheesy videos and animatronics. But there should be a way to include the Three Caballeros, add a spice a humor and update the whole without completely reinventing it. It's true that many people find this ride crappy when they ride it the first time.

Scar Junior

JimboJones123 said:
First, none of the 3 amigos are from Fantasyland or are ever considered Fantasyland characters. So, no, this wouldn't make it MK2.0. That's just stupid. They are part of the Disney Core.

I think MK2.0 refers to the creeping fear that Epcot would lose its grip on original characters and storylines. MK2.0 is a term that urges keeping cartoons characters out of Epcot in general. Though Nemo is probably needed to save the Seas pavillion, I think he and his friends have rejuvinated (sp?) peoples fears of seeing MK2.0.

wannab@dis

Scar Junior said:
I think MK2.0 refers to the creeping fear that Epcot would lose its grip on original characters and storylines. MK2.0 is a term that urges keeping cartoons characters out of Epcot in general. Though Nemo is probably needed to save the Seas pavillion, I think he and his friends have rejuvinated (sp?) peoples fears of seeing MK2.0.
He's also rejuvinating hopes that Epcot is going to be revitalized and improved. :wave:

CoffeeJedi

Considering that the "alpha" caballero, Jose, is Brazillian, I'm not sure why they're being chosen. I am however, imagining a pretty fun little dark ride where Donald gets a tour of Mexico and gets caught up in wacky hijinx, though i'll miss the narrator's slightly creepy whispery barritone.

I just wish that they'd create NEW characters for the parks instead of dipping into the corporate synergy "parts bin". What was the last attraction here in the states that had a new memorable character? (the yeti doesn't count, i mean someone akin to Figment or the Tiki Birds)

PurpleDragon

CoffeeJedi said:
Considering that the "alpha" amigo, Jose, is Brazillian, I'm not sure why they're being chosen. I am however, imagining a pretty fun little dark ride where Donald gets a tour of Mexico and gets caught up in wacky hijinx, though i'll miss the narrator's slightly creepy whispery barritone.

I just wish that they'd create NEW characters for the parks instead of dipping into the corporate synergy "parts bin". What was the last attraction here in the states that had a new memorable character? (the yeti doesn't count, i mean someone akin to Figment or the Tiki Birds)

Very good point!! It does seem like the corporate types at Disney have a bucket of old Disney characters and they continue to pull them out and slap them on attractions so they can call it "New". I miss the days of original character creation for a ride. :rolleyes:

Epcot82Guy

CoffeeJedi said:
Considering that the "alpha" amigo, Jose, is Brazillian, I'm not sure why they're being chosen. I am however, imagining a pretty fun little dark ride where Donald gets a tour of Mexico and gets caught up in wacky hijinx, though i'll miss the narrator's slightly creepy whispery barritone.

I agree entirely. It's a different audience, I guess. But, I find importing the characters into Epcot as almost offensive.

WDWFanatic

I love the ride as it sits except for the first movies of the ceremonial dancing.
If it were to change I'd like the whole ride narrated by george lopez with up do date films.
I like the ride because it is back in a corner like you are the only people that know about it. it is quiet and great to just float along and relax.

T-1MILLION

The updates are making things look and sound better already!:drevil: :lol: :cool:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tvp_qjfV5y8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tvp_qjfV5y8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

sbkline

CoffeeJedi said:

I don't like the idea of creating new characters for WDW. When I think of Walt Disney World, I'm thinking of Mickey and Minnie. Tinkerbell and Peter Pan. Cinderella and Snow White. etc, etc. To me, that's Disney. Personally, I wish they would leave out Woody and Stitch and all the "new" characters and just stick with the classic ones. But that's just me.

And I hope they don't change the ride at all. I love the beginning part with the volcano and the Incas, or Aztecs or whatever they are. I like the song...even though I had it stuck in my head all the way home last year. LOL I like the narrator, especially at the end when he says "May-hee-co". The only thing that I would be open minded to changing are the things playing on the TV's. But I'd still rather see it left alone.

I guess I'm just a sentimental old fool (even though I'm only 31...almost). We went there for our honeymoon in 2003, second honeymoon in 2004 and back for a weekend last year, and enjoyed that ride every time. I would rather see it stay the same. I guess it just brings back memories of the good times we've had there.

I guess I'd better quit this sappy crap before I get everyone balling, including myself. :lol: :hammer:

CoffeeJedi

sbkline said:
I don't like the idea of creating new characters for WDW. When I think of Walt Disney World, I'm thinking of Mickey and Minnie. Tinkerbell and Peter Pan. Cinderella and Snow White. etc, etc. To me, that's Disney. Personally, I wish they would leave out Woody and Stitch and all the "new" characters and just stick with the classic ones. But that's just me.
:lol: :hammer:
I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, i dislike the addition of Stitch, and even the infusion of Pixar characters like "Nemo & Friends", although i own and love Lilo & Stitch and all the Pixar movies. But on the other hand, how long do you need to wait before you create an attraction based on a character? And if they never created new characters for the parks, then we'd never have Figment and Dreamfinder, the Country Bears, the Tiki Birds, or the Hitchhiking Ghosts. (then there's the whole Jack Sparrow addition to Pirates of the Caribbean, not sure which category that falls under)

I think it would be kind of cool if Disney Animation and Imagineering worked with the Mexico tourism board to create a new character to act as a guide on a refurbed attraction. That's the kind of thing that USED to happen back in Walt's day. The original 9 old men were both animators and imagineers, not to mention tinkerers and geniuses. I'd like to see the animation and imagineering groups cross over a little more again, and create really interesting experiences. (i'm really hoping that John Lasseter thinks this way too)

wannab@dis

CoffeeJedi said:
I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, i dislike the addition of Stitch, and even the infusion of Pixar characters like "Nemo & Friends", although i own and love Lilo & Stitch and all the Pixar movies. But on the other hand, how long do you need to wait before you create an attraction based on a character? And if they never created new characters for the parks, then we'd never have Figment and Dreamfinder, the Country Bears, the Tiki Birds, or the Hitchhiking Ghosts. (then there's the whole Jack Sparrow addition to Pirates of the Caribbean, not sure which category that falls under)

I think it would be kind of cool if Disney Animation and Imagineering worked with the Mexico tourism board to create a new character to act as a guide on a refurbed attraction. That's the kind of thing that USED to happen back in Walt's day. The original 9 old men were both animators and imagineers, not to mention tinkerers and geniuses. I'd like to see the animation and imagineering groups cross over a little more again, and create really interesting experiences. (i'm really hoping that John Lasseter thinks this way too)
First off... I don't find the idea in the OP as a grand idea, but IF it would actually bring a line to the attraction, then it's better than doing nothing.

Second... Why is there a disdain about Pixar (Disney!) characters being added to the parks? Sure, I can see where some think that Stitch was overused, but that's only one example that seems to be used as an excuse for some to want ALL Pixar characters banned.

Third... Recognition of popular characters is why they are added to an attraction. It takes time/marketing/luck for a "new" character to become popular and even then, it's not a wide popularity if the character is a park character only... e.g. DF / Figment.

Fouth... If they continually create characters for specific attractions, they run the chance of saturation of characters without any being popular enough to drive revenues and "character love" that the classic characters have.

The vast majority of "classic" Disney / Pixar characters made their debut in movies / TV and not in a park. I know some old school EPCOT lovers will argue the point, but theme park characters are NOT well known. Walk up to someone on the street and the vast majority will recognice the Fab 5, princesses, animated movie characters, etc... but will have no clue who Figment is or where he came from. The same would be true for most characters "created" for an attraction. With this in mind, the marketing potential for the attraction is severely limited from the outset.

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
First off... I don't find the idea in the OP as a grand idea, but IF it would actually bring a line to the attraction, then it's better than doing nothing.

Second... Why is there a disdain about Pixar (Disney!) characters being added to the parks? Sure, I can see where some think that Stitch was overused, but that's only one example that seems to be used as an excuse for some to want ALL Pixar characters banned.

I'm almost all the way with you on these. Where I disagree with the first paragraph is that I think that if they changed the attraction AT ALL and let people know about it, it would increase attendence. It doesn't have to feature characters to get butts in the seats. I have no major problems with Nemo added to Future World at all, but I think World Showcase doesn't need characters added in the attractions. Having various characters outside the pavilions works well the way Disney does it now, but having them in the attractions would be a different story in my book.

I also have no problem with the Pixar characters being added. You're right, they are DISNEY characters anyways. Nemo HAS NOT been overused in the way Stitch was.....yet. Hopefully Disney learned their lesson and it won't happen again. Sure Nemo is being added to two attractions, but I doubt we will see the same kind of promotional blitz that backfired with Stitch.

As far as El Rio goes, I do enjoy the 1980's feel of the attraction and it does make me feel like a kid again, but it is due for a change. It is hard to make an argument against that one. Even my two favorite attractions in the World Showcase area (O' Canada & Impressions de France) could use updates as well, as much as I would hate to see them go. When an attraction is as dated as El Rio is, there needs to be something done. I don't think using characters unfamiliar with the public (Except Donald of course) will make much of a difference though. A more culturally and historical based attraction would be nice. The current attraction does a good job of that in the beginning, but after the Day of the Dead scene, it loses its focus.

To sum up my opinion, some changes need to be done there. But I don't think this rumor is the answer.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
I'm almost all the way with you on these. Where I disagree with the first paragraph is that I think that if they changed the attraction AT ALL and let people know about it, it would increase attendence. It doesn't have to feature characters to get butts in the seats.

I wasn't saying that ANOTHER idea would not work... In fact, I made the point that the OP rumor doesn't seem to be a "grand" idea. :lol:

However, my premise is still simple... any change would be an improvement over an empty attraction. No matter what anyone says, a dead attraction is just that... dead. Nostalgia aside, it makes no sense to pick status quo over ANY TYPE of update in this instance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom