Rumor UPDATED: Monorail Hours Cut

Animaniac93-98

The Disneyland Monorail has never had air conditioning. There is not much space available to place the equipment. The Mark VII design didn’t provide for the ventilation of previous design (not to mention all of the issues of being able to navigate the beamway).

It's fun to ride the Disneyland monorail and hear the tree branches scraping the outside of the cars.

TP2000

Just remember, the guy who botched the Mark VII, told Bob Gurr to pound sand and turned them into sweat boxes was given a promotion and is now in charge of that exciting new Red Logo Superhero Land featuring Spider-Man Midway Mania!.

This is the real story here. The utter failure by WDI designers and managers to build a product in the 2010's that wasn't at least the equal to the product built in 1959. Not to mention the bizarre lack of care they seem to have to the paying customers who use their product.

383493004612c04437b91980f41c8cb0.jpg

General Motors offered air conditioning and power windows on their cars in 1959. Can you imagine if General Motors built a new Chevrolet Malibu today and said "Oops! We forgot to design it so that it could have air conditioning, and you can only roll down the windows two inches. So you can't really drive our fabulous new Malibu from July through September."

Not only would the GM design team of that new Malibu be immediately fired, the executives who approved that new Malibu would be fired.

But WDI builds new monorails in the 2010's that have no air conditioning and no real ventilation and can't roll the windows down more than a few inches in summer? Promote that guy! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GingerGirl3

I’ve never understood the lack of a/c. That thing is unbearable! My kids always want to ride it but it’s miserable. Was there a/c back when it closer to the hotel? I feel like as a kid at DLH the monorail was much closer and I don’t remember it being miserable.

lazyboy97o

I’ve never understood the lack of a/c. That thing is unbearable! My kids always want to ride it but it’s miserable. Was there a/c back when it closer to the hotel? I feel like as a kid at DLH the monorail was much closer and I don’t remember it being miserable.
The original portion of the Disneyland Hotel was demolished to build Downtown Disney. There has never been air conditioning on the Disneyland Monorail.

mickEblu

I'll have to find it, but they did it last summer too. I don't remember the exact dates or exact times but it was for a large portion of the afternoon too from what I recall.

I vaguely remember that too. I think it was something more like a 4-5 hour window in the middle of the afternoon.

WDW Pro

WDW Pro do you really think it’s Star Wars? Because I think it may be parks that’s the problem. I seriously wonder if we have reached the tipping point with price hikes, nickel and diming and cutbacks (hours and entertainment.). For the first time in forever there has been no discounts made available for the fall, and DL blocked out all their AP, so those crowds of “value seaking guests” have just not booked trips because they don’t see the value in a full price visit.

I think they thought there were so many Star Wars fans who would pay so, so much money to get in the park, get in the land, etc... and they found out that isn't true. Whether it's the franchise, the sequel trilogy, the execution of the land, the lack of rides, etc, the bottom line is that the people they thought would fill the park and cause them to be able to cut out so many AP holders, they don't exist. Iger now finds himself in uncharted territory; one of his very top franchises and investments isn't doing what it's supposed to do. It will have major implications moving forward, some obvious and some unobvious. Live action remakes have been hit or miss, animation has been mostly hits with some misses, but everything entertainment side could be offset by non-stop golden geese in Marvel and Star Wars. For the first time, Disney is going to be very seriously looking to see if one of those birds needs immediate attention, because buying Fox wasn't cheap, and they can't afford for Star Wars to fail... not the land inside their Anaheim jewel, not their movies, and not their streaming attempts on Disney+.

Happyrebster

Something I wasn’t as aware of until recently is how Disney built a Star Wars land that the general public doesn’t want? I honestly just assumed a Star Wars land would be the Star Wars I was familiar with. Darth Vader, Yoda, r2d2....
R2D2 is hanging out at the Droid Depot. And Yoda makes an audio appearance during the light saber experience. but I agree that it would be fun to have more Vader.

WDW Pro

And for those of you keeping score, here's why Disney is panicked at all levels right now in a way they haven't been panicked in a long, long time...

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019...dalorian-cost-per-episode-15-million-dollars/

They've sunk about 2.6 billion dollars in Star Wars expansion lands that desperately need to turn an ROI. Thus far that's not happening, and they've got to figure it out. Meanwhile, their last Star Wars movie lost hundreds of millions of dollars, and their biggest exclusive item they had planned to drive Disney+ cost at least $120 million to create, it's Star Wars, and the director to their now-being-panned Lion King movie directed it. The chances of The Mandalorian bombing are still low, but in the event that it really doesn't pull anybody to Disney+, then it's full freak-out time because streaming is the future, cable is dying, and Disney needs its streaming service to win... the amount of money that would be lost if Netflix wins the streaming battle is astronomical. Or, at the very least, its more than diminished Monorail service hours can cover.

Old Mouseketeer

I could be wrong but while they have been known to shut down due to heat, I've never known it to have daily set hours throughout the entire afternoon of non-operation.

I suspect it's cost-related. It's cheaper to do a blanket closure rather than schedule CMs only to have to try and redeploy them on an hour-by-hour basis. So they will lose some hours when the trains could run, but they're making a budgetary cut, damn the show!

Darkbeer1

If they are TRULY worried about the summer Heat, than this should be the Notice posted.

Attention Disneyland Guests -

For the health and safety of our Guests and Cast Members. we will stop Monorail Operations if the Outdoor (or Inside) Temperature reaches (insert whatever temperature they feel is proper, 85, 90, 95, etc.) , we will resume operations when the temperature falls under our safety limit.

Thanks for your understanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom